cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For Experienced 1/2 Ton 5'ers

The_Painting_Te
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of buying a Jayco 26.5RLS with 6,845 lbs UVW and 1,285 lbs pin weight. I'd like to get a properly equipped 1/2 ton to move it up down the east coast because of the ride and the cost. I'm interested in opinions from anyone who actually uses a 1/2 ton for their 5'er. I understand a one ton pulls a lawn mower well; but I will use this vehicle 360 days a year as a 2nd car, thus comfort and cost come into the equation. Thanks for advice from those who use a 1/2 ton. Camp on.
27 REPLIES 27

Scott_s
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a 24ft FW with a Tundra 5.7. Pulls great up hills ,down hills, flat, windy . Trailer weighs 7000.
Pin 1400 lb . Me , wife, 2 kids and 2 dogs. I use a B&W goose neck hitch.
The truck is my daily driver and fits in the garage . It's the double cab so I still get the 6.5 foot bed.
I'm very happy with the set up.

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
The_Painting_Teacher wrote:
Thinking of buying a Jayco 26.5RLS with 6,845 lbs UVW and 1,285 lbs pin weight. I'd like to get a properly equipped 1/2 ton to move it up down the east coast because of the ride and the cost. I'm interested in opinions from anyone who actually uses a 1/2 ton for their 5'er. I understand a one ton pulls a lawn mower well; but I will use this vehicle 360 days a year as a 2nd car, thus comfort and cost come into the equation. Thanks for advice from those who use a 1/2 ton. Camp on.
You will add another 200# to that pin weight when you add batteries, propane tanks and other stuff; plus kitchen equipment, clothes, bedding tools etc.
Make sure the truck you look at can handle:
- 1500# of pin weight
- 100 to 300# of hitch
- you and other passengers
- the rest of the stuff in the truck.

An F150 with an 8200# GVWR/Max tow/trailering package is probably the only "1/2 ton" that will come close. Otherwise you'd better start looking at 3/4 tons.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

GPG52_
Explorer II
Explorer II
H2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab, 5.7 Hemy, 3.73 ratio
2010 KZ Durango 275 fifth wheel

Tow Vehicle TV
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating GVWR 8,510 lbs
Payload 1,981 lbs
Actual Pin Weight 1,320 18%
Dry Weight Empty Weight n/a
Wet Weight Fuel, driver 7,320 lbs
Cub Weight No personal gear GCW 7,020 lbs
Gross Axle Weight Rating GAWR Steering 5,200; Drive 6,010lbs
Length Overall LOA 16" 0'

5th WHEEL COACH RV
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating GVWR 8,800 lbs
Axle Weight Rating AWR 1st 4,400,2nd 4,400
Curb Weight Empty Weight GCW 6,890 lbs
Wet Weight water, LP GAS 7,240 lbs
Payload 1,350 lbs
Gross Axle Weight Rating Loaded GAWR 1st 3,540, 2nd 3,700
Length Overall LOA 29' 4"

COMBINED
Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating 17,310 lbs
Actual Gross Comb. Vehicle Weight Rating GCWR14,560 lbs
Length Overall LOA 44' 10"
Hope this helps....
GPG
GPG 🙂
2014 Ford F250, 6.2L, 4.30 Ratio, 6 speed
2014 Cougar (by Keystone) 327 RES

uterep
Explorer
Explorer
yes as said above

2010 F150 here Max Tow and HD payload ..SCREW with 6.5 bed works like a charm perfect TV

I do have the 5.4 but the EB will be as good if not better than the 5.4

But make sure you get both options , you will end up with 7 lug wheels std trailer mirrors and electronic brake adjuster std as well

great every day driver !!

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
This past winter while snowbirding in Florida I spoke with 2 different gentlemen that pulled their 5th wheels with 1/2 tons. I was quite surprised because both of their 5th wheels were larger than my 25' Cardinal (actually about 28'). My empty weight is about 8,700 lbs. and both of their units were slightly heavier and longer than mine. One fellow pulled down from Wisconsin and the other was from Indiana. They said they maintain a steady speed (about 62 mph) and didn't seem phased by smaller hills. I didn't get into the specifics of their truck set-ups relative to suspension or engine modifications, but I don't think these guys seemed the type to put much money into their trucks.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

kampinggal
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 1/2 ton Chevy and went to a 3/4.....very little difference in gas mileage. Truck is driven every day. I'd go with the 3/4 for the towing!

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
I'm doing what you want:

2013 Jayco 26.5 RLS, 2012 F-150 Ecoboost
Just got done with a 4,100 mi. trip - Minnesota to Worcester, MA to Bar Harbor, ME and back.

You must get the Max Payload package, in addition to the Max Tow package to be able to handle the pin weight. Apparently many dealers don't realize they are seperate. Mine ended up with a second truck to sell because he didn't know. Check and double check. This means you will also have to get the SuperCrew version - Max Payload not available in the shortest versions (or with some option packages!). 6.5 or 8' box are options, depends on how deep your garage is! My 6.5 fits with a couple of inches to spare.

Combo city/highway to work is about 18 mpg summer, 15.5 winter. Pulling the RV in May, we got 11 mpg going out, 10.4 coming back. Likely due to not respecting the speed limit on the return. 4-5% Intersate grades were no issue - we passed everything that was using the climbing lanes, with power to spare.

We did have to get a riser package put on the Jayco to boost it up. Sides of the truck are pretty high, and could not raise the Reese R16K hitch enough. Trailer was at an angle - not real close to hitting the sides of the bed, but closer than I or the dealer were comfortable with. Side benefit is now we have completely adjustable wheel alignments on the trailer. Cost about $700 to have the dealer do.

Truck did not need any mods - airbags, etc. Perfect as the factory delivered it.

We got the factory installed Sidewinder, so we don't need a slider. Did it to save substantial weight in the bed. Also saves substantial cost over a Pull-Rite! Downside is you have to be dead on straight to the pinbox to hook up - can be very frustrating if you are even a few degrees off. I would prefer something else, expecially with hidden rails, but between cost and/or weight, this is what made sense. Note that I was being very, very "anal" about total payload and rear end weight, and this setup fit the bill in every manner.

Actual sticker weight as delivered was 7,407 - so before liquids or "stuff".

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. This seems to be the perfect solution to the need for a commuter vehicle and a tow vehicle. And for 2 of us (plus 2 dogs) the Jayco was just right.

Of course, now that we have taken delivery, we find out the first grandkid is on the way...so probably should have thought about a bunkhouse.....sigh!
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

sele
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using a f150 for better than 10 years with absolutely no issue. Whatever you buy in the way of 1/2 ton make sure you go with either a max tow package or ford has a heavy duty. By having either of these packages you will have the max payload and tow weight plus the correct rear axle in a 1/2 ton. I currently have a eco boost f150 with max tow package and 4x4, I am pleased with the way it preforms. Payload is 1957 and tow weight is 11,300, my real experience has been very good so far. I would consider staying away from the early eco boost f150 they seem to have had issues in the early models.
scott

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't know a 3/4 ton couldn't be used 360 days a year.

By the way that trailer is a perfect setup for a 3/4 ton gasser

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Get an F150 with 8200 GVWR option. That pin weight will grow. My dry pin is just 880.

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
We have an '06 F150 XLT Super Cab with 5.4 L / .373 Rear / 2 wheel drive / towing package. We stuck with a 1/2 ton truck and light 5er as truck was also used as second car (I'm retired now, so truck is pretty much used to tow 5er). Truck is rated at 1680 lbs carrying capacity. We have a TC524DS TrailCruiser with unloaded weight of 4980 lbs(by literature), fully loaded its almost 7000(by scale) (you're looking at a little more weight than us). We've pulled the 5er up and down the east coast, and back and forth to the west coast, through the Appalachian, the Rockies, and up into the Canadian Rockies. Truck and 5er work fine together. If you need to run at 70 up an 8 deg grade, not gonna do it; if you can take it nice and easy, this could work for you.

Regards,
Doug

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Go with a 3/4 ton Diesel long bed truck for your immediate and future towing needs. You may move up to a larger trailer in the future and the 3/4 will handle it. The long bed will allow you to add an larger auxillary fuel tank to replace the original tank. A 60 gal. fuel tank gives you a range of 600 to 800 miles driving range, allowing you to pick and choose where you buy fuel and get the best price.

410skeet
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not towing with a 1/2 ton now, but I did tow a 2000 Montana 2955 (GVW around 11,000) with a Chevy 350 short bed and later a Chevy 5.4L short bed. Towed to Alaska and lots of other places - no problems. Unloaded weight was around 9000.