cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Found the culprit for the tire wear

titleist
Explorer
Explorer
I was replacing my lift blocks with solid material instead of tubing like many posters suggested here and found out why I was getting inner tire wear on the road side rear axle. The Equa-flex had a broken inner plate. The plate had completely broken away making it able the flex in a direction that would wear the inner portion of the tread. Currently I just re-welded for now until replacement parts arrive. I researched Lippert components website and realized the Equa-flex that is currently on my trailer is rated for 4-6k, my trailer has 6k axles so I ordered the 6-8k system. I also took it to the scale just for piece of mind. Trailer axles weighed 10,040 and truck was 10,640 pretty much loaded up for a trip.
7 REPLIES 7

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
And by the way, most trailer axle manufacturers recommend AGAINST using lifting blocks to raise a trailer! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

titleist
Explorer
Explorer
I see what you guys are saying now. No matter what it is still vertical. As far as alignment, a friend of mine who works for an axle manufacturer in Elkhart helped me do numerous measurements. We couldn't find anything more than 1/4" out of alignment. I will still keep a close eye on the tire wear issue.

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
And why would that make one side wear and not the other?
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
How would that affect camber? I would think even if your springs were tilted it wouldn't have any affect on weight over the axles. Or a bent axle. I could see that causing the trailer to not ride as well but that's all. Unless of course the Equa-flex not working could cause the axles to take more punishment that needed there for causing the camber to be out of adjustment. Which in that case means you may need axles re-aligned.

titleist
Explorer
Explorer
The inner plate on the Equa-flex broke just below the hanger. So technically the only part that was attached was the outer plate of the equa-flex. The 2 plates sandwich the rubber equalizer part.

Hamops
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with "Me Again", it's a little difficult visualizing what your problem is. A set of pictures would help a lot.

Cheers
Helen & George VE3INB and Max (Bichon Frise)

2006 Silverado 2500HD D/A, Isspro Gauges, Linex, Westin Nerf Bars, Fold-A-Cover

2014 Avalanche 295
Reese 16K Slider, Bedsaver, Prodigy Controller, Rearview Camera

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am having a hard time visualizing the problem and how it could cause the inside of a tire to wear. I straight axle controls the chamber and the rear end of the spring controls the tie in/out. The equalizer just carries weight.

Could you explain it better?

Seems like these upgraded suspension parts are a bit like ST tires and seem to fail a lot.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021