cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fridge Door Plastic Hinge Broke..fix?

snowycreek
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Norcold 10cu ft Fridge with Wood Panel Door....Plastic hinges, of all things, rests on metal pegs. Bottom Plastic hinge broke, door came crashing down. It's a HEAVY door! Can't believe this happened. Can the hinge piece (plastic outer piece with hole that fits over metal peg) be glued back in place with something like R&B Weld? Will it hold up? If not...any other options? Or will we have to replace the door?? sighhhh Thanks fellow rv'ers....signed, the Landbound rv'ers (not traveling)
'06 McKenzie Medallion 36RLQ, 4slide
'03 GMC4500 Diesel Dual CC Reese20K Prodigy ..What'd I forget?

Us&Our Big Canine Kid, Prix (as in Grand Prix)
"To cross the mountain, first you must walk up to it"..Old Cherokee
10 REPLIES 10

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We ordered the bracket reinforcement kit for our Norcold from Amazon. Terrible directions but an easy installl after you figure it out.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

snowycreek
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. I got the hinge in place with the JB weld, let it set a couple days and then gobbed a lot more into all the holes and crevices and let it set for another 3-4 days. We just put the door back in place and, yes, it's working....but now I'm scared, from all your posts, that it won't hold. Not being the handiest of people, I can't picture the sheet metal jobbies but maybe we can do the L bracket....prolly a picture wouldn't help, would it? From any of you?? Maybe I should just order that 'kit'...guess I'll at least check it out. And the tips on putting stuff in the door..yeah, me thinks you can't do that...bummer. Thanks again, all!!!! (If you see me here again you'll know the JB weld didn't hold!!) @jjj>your outfit looks a lot like ours did.
'06 McKenzie Medallion 36RLQ, 4slide
'03 GMC4500 Diesel Dual CC Reese20K Prodigy ..What'd I forget?

Us&Our Big Canine Kid, Prix (as in Grand Prix)
"To cross the mountain, first you must walk up to it"..Old Cherokee

luvglass
Explorer
Explorer
I flattened a 2 inch L bracket and drilled one end to accept the hinge pin and used sheet metal screws on the other 3 holes to attach in to the door. It's been holding for 4 years of full time use now.
Good luck,
Fred Wishnie
2006 Carriage Cameo 35KS3, 2006 Ford F350 diesel dually, fulltimer
See our blog at http://www.mytripjournal.com/wanderingwishnies

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
There is a kit available from Norcold that reinforces the lower hinge to keep this from happening but only IF the hinge has not yet broken. If you replace the door be sure and get the kit installed.
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem. I fab a metal strap to follow the contour of the bottom hinge area from the front all the way around the curve to the side for support and used epoxy to put the broken piece back and used epoxy to glue the fab. piece of metal to the hinge area and on the top part of the broken piece I epoxyed a washer the same diameter of the round part of the hinge for extra support and then painted it black after all dried to match. I did this a year and a half ago and it is still going strong.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

aarond76
Explorer
Explorer
My Dometic has plastic hinges that are integral to the door. Mine too broke on the bottom hinge. You cannot replace the hinges on mine, only the entire door for $150. Awful design and has been the same for atleast 20 yrs. They have to know it is a problem and do not care. I too fabbed a metal plate for under the door. It is jb welded on and is screwed to the door using the holes that hold the frame for the wooden insert into the door. JB weld on just the hinge will not hold, been there done that.

slarsen
Explorer
Explorer
I, too, pop riveted a metal bracket on the bottom of the door. I did use 2-part JB weld or equivalent to add some strength and support and fill in the gaps. It has lasted two years now, with several thousand miles of travel.

The point about keeping weight down when traveling is important. That's where I went wrong: shelves with milk jugs filled plus the balance with soda cans. Now I just use condiments and produce in the shelves while traveling.

Oh, and the shelves have a nasty habit of bouncing from the door and dumping everything inside the refrigerator. I used 2-sided foam-filled tape available at any hardware store to make the shelves stay in place. That has worked out well, too.

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
Check for replacement parts or mods on the internet. I just had to order new handles for my Dometic. I know they are a different part but check you may be surprised.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
You cannot load the door with tons of stuff like you do your at home refrigerator especially while underway!

remoandiris
Explorer
Explorer
I fabbed a metal plate for support under the hinge, attached the plate to the bottom of the door and over the hinge pin. Works well.
2011 GMC 3500 Dually
New to me 2006 Jayco Designer 38RDQS
2 Boxers and a Maine Coon