cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Front jack stands

Ricpin
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 GMC Duramax 3500HD towing a 2014 Alpine 3555RL with the 6 point leveling system. We went to a camp ground that had a couple steep inclines. My front jacks would scrape the gravel road. My question is will air bags help raise the front of the 5th wheel enough to stop it from scraping. If so what would you suggest.
8 REPLIES 8

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
TInmania wrote:
The OP said they have a 6 point leveling system and to me that would be hydraulic. No shear pin and raise and lower automatically--even remembering the height the trailer was unhitched and returning to that height for easy re-hitching. I have seen some of these that, to me, look low even when retracted. Add to that any rear truck sag and I can see them scraping in the right (or rather wrong) situation.

Mike

Not all are like this. Ours is a 6 point with pin adjustable front legs. Just a FYI.

However, the OP's is a 2014, so most likely, no pins.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

TInmania
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
FWIW, I've never had my front jacks scrape, even getting into our boondock site. The ones on my Komfort hang down a max of about 5" from the front of the FW if I pull them all the way up. AFAIK, that's been exactly 1 time in 11 years that I've owned it, as I've not wanted to chance breaking the shear pin on the motor. Also, they take so long to move that I regularly leave them down about 8-10 inches.

Lyle

The OP said they have a 6 point leveling system and to me that would be hydraulic. No shear pin and raise and lower automatically--even remembering the height the trailer was unhitched and returning to that height for easy re-hitching. I have seen some of these that, to me, look low even when retracted. Add to that any rear truck sag and I can see them scraping in the right (or rather wrong) situation.

Mike

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
When hitched on level ground, is the trailer level? It should be. If the trailer is nose low a bit, you may need to adjust your hitch height; that wil level the trailer and raise the pads.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

Specularius
Explorer
Explorer
OP states 6 point leveling system so it is probably hydraulic and there are no pins to pull or extensions to drop/raise. The only option would be to unbolt the pad off the bottom of the ram but that would not get much more clearance.
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 Scorpion Diesel Reese Ford Hitch
2014 Grand Design Momentum 355TH

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, as a new member I will ask you, did you pull up the skid pads all the way? There is usually a pin you pull out, and then can adjust the travel the legs make by lifting or lowering the skid pads. There is also a stow position, all the way up to prevent them from scraping on the ground. You should only consider air bags if the rear of your TV squats and the front of the 5th wheel is low. Good luck!

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
FWIW, I've never had my front jacks scrape, even getting into our boondock site. The ones on my Komfort hang down a max of about 5" from the front of the FW if I pull them all the way up. AFAIK, that's been exactly 1 time in 11 years that I've owned it, as I've not wanted to chance breaking the shear pin on the motor. Also, they take so long to move that I regularly leave them down about 8-10 inches.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

TInmania
Explorer
Explorer
Specularius wrote:
If the tow vehicle is sagging, air bags may help. A quick and cheap way would be to lay some boards down for the rear tires of the tow vehicle to run over and lift the nose of the trailer.

While driving in a campground up an incline? That sounds impractical at best.

As to the OP that might be your best bet. I have often looked at how low those leveling jacks are to the ground and thought there is no way they won't scrape in the right/wrong situation. I asked a guy next to me a month ago while in Vegas and he said they have never scraped. But he only went to resort style or parking lot style RV parks--not actual campgrounds.

Mike

Specularius
Explorer
Explorer
If the tow vehicle is sagging, air bags may help. A quick and cheap way would be to lay some boards down for the rear tires of the tow vehicle to run over and lift the nose of the trailer.
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 Scorpion Diesel Reese Ford Hitch
2014 Grand Design Momentum 355TH