cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fuel fill question on touhauler gas tank

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
Went to put some gas in yesterday via the jerrycan and poured as per usual. It was about 3 gallons. All of a sudden the fill would not take anymore and gas was spilling out !
I know the tank is not full as I tapped it and it sounds hollow. The outside gauge on the fuel pump shows empty.
Possible ice build up inside? this happen to anyone?
13 REPLIES 13

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
I will try both those suggestions.
Thanks

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Curious if you checked your vent hose for a kink? Doesn't take much to be a problem.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

jandjbaums
Explorer
Explorer
I'd try to turn the pump on and put the fill nozzle in and see if it pumps the fuel back in. recirculating may knock the air bubble out of it, if it has one.
  • 07 Toyota Tacoma double cab
  • 2011 Stellar 18cb TH

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if outside gauge works. Shows below empty since I bought it. Tried to pour gas in today and could not get much in before overflowing again. Tapping the tank it is difficult to tell if it is full.
Any ideas? Anyone have a faulty gauge ?

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Is the gauge accurate?
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Couldn't fill my brand new tank without flow back. Turned out they had pinched the vent hose during construction. I fixed it in my driveway. Seriously poor to non-existent quality control.

Good luck.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

jandjbaums
Explorer
Explorer
When im filling from a can, I use a tranny funnel and get it in there as far as I can get, seems to work for me. Try using the nozzle and circ. from the tank back to the tank and see if it is a ciog or something.
  • 07 Toyota Tacoma double cab
  • 2011 Stellar 18cb TH

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
Will try extra slow next time. I thought it was slow. Will look under to check for visable kinks. Did not think Ice but one never knows.
Never tried filling at the pump as I only bought voltage end of September and never had rig out yet. Two months time I hope to change that!
Thanks guys.

cmseabee
Explorer
Explorer
Couldn't fill our Raptor from the pump or by can without spilling out the filler. Fill hose from the factory was pinched almost all the way closed. I went to our local Napa and bought reinforced fuel rated hose. It was pricey but no issues filling the tank anymore.
14 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Dually, Cummins/Aisin 4.10s
05 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 Cummins/Auto
19 Keystone Fuzion 429
03 Fleetwood Elkhorn 11J
15 Honda Pioneer 700 P4
03 Polaris Predator
01 Yamaha Blaster
97 Yamaha Banshee

US Navy CPO Ret Sep 2013

rmoore0852
Explorer
Explorer
My toyhauler outside gas fill is almost level with the inside floor. I have never filled from a can, but when I fill it at the pump I can only click the nozzle on the first notch. Anything other than a very slow fill causes it to overflow back. It usually won't even kick off the pump nozzle. Try filling slowly. Just part of how these things are plumbed I guess.
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CCSB Duramax/Allison
2012 Puma Unleashed 356QLB FWTH

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine is difficult to fill with a can as well. Try sticking the nozzle in futher. The fill and tank are almost level and gas can back up to the fill point.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Better hope there is not ice inside. Water in fuel is no bueno.

Doubt its ice. Willing to bet the tank is actually full and the gauge is broken. Even if the vent was pinched off it should still take fuel from a can.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ice, if there was some shouldn't have been a problem. Water is heavier than gas so it should have been frozen to the bottom of the tank. Even if it was floating, I don't think it would have been the problem.

Does the filler throat going into the tank have one of those anti-siphon flapper do-hickies? If so, maybe your gas can nozzle pulled back far enough so it closed and restricted the gas flow?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.