cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fulltimers....what's your favorite 5er?

joeburnes
Explorer
Explorer
I'm about to start fulltiming and have never owned a 5er. I'm looking to buy a used one due to budget. I want to get a unit that I know the construction is good in so I don't buy a brand that is falling apart on me. Please let me know which ones to look at that will stand the test of time and which ones to definitely stay away from. And most importantly, "why" you feel the way you do.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

EDIT: I'll need a "4 seasons" one as I'll be all over the country at different times of year.
Remember: If you light a man a fire, he's warm for one night....but, if you light a man ON fire, he's warm for the rest of his life!
36 REPLIES 36

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
ol Bombero-JC wrote:

On page 2 of this thread - on SEPT, 11

the OP posted he found & *bought* the RV he was looking for...:W

~

Thanks for the update! I guess we all just wanted to continue with our own feedback.

Apples and oranges.

Actually it's a good "feedback" question.......but some are still offering purchase advice to/for the OP (which was the intent of the topic).

A new thread separates the advice for the OP - from the favorites "feedback"..:R

~

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:

~

Thanks for the update! I guess we all just wanted to continue with our own feedback.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer

~

Bakken_lady
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 2016 Prime Time Sanibel 3901 (forest River) and have had it for a month. The crown molding (heavy) fell off of the kitchen slide and scratched the residential stainless fridge (not happy) and one of the living room slides had major issues going out and will not go back in now. Slide on other side is also not coming back in. 2 slides leaking water, 5 slides leaking air. Had RV repairman come out (we paid him) and he said the wrong seals were put on the slides, chassis is 2015 model, so pieces and parts of each year were used. Supposedly our replacement parts were ordered overnight but we have not seen them in 2 weeks and they arent answering our calls. The dealership in Denver has passed it off to the Manufacturer so they are no help either. Just made the first payment, and I am hoping not to freeze here in ND. Dont buy a Sanibel.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
You're probably seeing a pattern in the brands and quality. We have a Heartland Bighorn, rated for full timing. Not many are, but that tells you the quality. We bought ours new in 2010 and although we are not full timers, we could easily be with our Bighorn. To date, the quality has been top notch. The salesperson that sold it to us sure doesn't like hearing this because I'm sure he'd like to sell us another. This one is it for us.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
WeBeFulltimers wrote:
missourijan wrote:
Drv, Excel, Jayco, Travel Supreme

I'm sure Jayco is a good unit in it's class, but it DOES NOT fit into the sale class as the others in that statement! :h

Are you aware of the new Designer line?
http://www.jayco.com/products/fifth-wheels/2016-designer/standards-and-options/

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
I agree check into. The former HitchHiker plant, Kansas RV Center does a fantastic job on refurbishing their products for resale. The also repair other brands as well as sell a good selection of new.
www.kansasrvcenter.com
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never full timed or owned a fifthwheel? Sure that's what you want to do. We thought so, but found out about 4 months in a trailer was enough time a year. We do that in the winter and have done it three different trailers of all sizes. I have to have a garage and yard to tinker in. Dog sure likes his own back yard to roam around in. Lot of folks quit after a few years. Some like it a lot. It's not for everyone. I sure wouldn't sell the house unless you knew for sure.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
missourijan wrote:
Drv, Excel, Jayco, Travel Supreme

I'm sure Jayco is a good unit in it's class, but it DOES NOT fit into the sale class as the others in that statement! :h
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

life_sgood
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for a (used) Hitchhiker Champagne by NuWa. Our's is from 2000 and is still going strong! A little heavy but man, you can't beat the quality!

texanrvr
Explorer
Explorer
We've been full timers for seven years, 2 years in a Heartland Bighorn and five in our Heartland Landmark Grand Canyon. Love it!!
Jay-Driver
Stella-Director of Operations and Navigator
Cassie-Schnauzer
'11 Heartland Landmark
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW
SLT

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We are FT & purchased a used Hitchhiker from Kansas RV Center. We like that they check over and refurbish the used RVs before selling them. They were also able to change and add some new items. Great service after the sale, too! You can see their inventory online. We are very happy with our purchase.

captdave363
Explorer
Explorer
We have traveled extensively in our Hartland Landmark with minor problems, we have met several full timers happy with Mobile Suites.We did install Moryide Suspension and hydrolic disc brakes. The folks at Moyride are without question the most professional in Elkhart.
E
Email
2011 Ford F550 Crew Cab Classie Chassie Modified
2012 Landmark Grand Canyon
2003 Honda Turbo 4 stroke jetskis
1997 Parker 25 Sport Cabin w/Yamaha 250

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Best 5er we have had is the 2013 HitchHiker Champagne. Sure sorry that NuWa stopped production, but Kansas RV Center is still there (owned by NuWa) and has a nice selection of used HH 5ers.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot