cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fuzion 342 vs. Cyclone 3110 (upgrading)

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
Hello there! We bought our first RV in January, which is a Puma 21 ft toy hauler. We went small since we didn't know how we and the three teens would like Rving. We have gotten much use out of the 21 foot and have fallen in love with the RV lifestyle. Naturally we are looking to upgrade.

Our first step is to get a new pick up truck which will be a one ton dualie.

For the RV, we like the fuzion and the cyclone.

Fuzion 342 because we like the storage in the garage and the hooks for mudding clothes. Double axle, triple slide.

Cyclone 3110 IMO is prettier in inside. I like how the kitchen opens to both the garage and the living area. I like the bedroom better because it has side tables.

We store it in a storage unit, so I have to check specs to see if they both will fit.

I assume other people have looked at both brands. We went to Cajun Palms in Louisiana and it seems for large toy haulers, it is either cyclone or fuzion.

Would anyone have any insight to help with this decision. My husband goes mudding, so at least once a year this will go to mud nationals and the rest of the time will be state parks or RV resorts.

Any insight? Thank you very much.
Jennifer plus Hubby empty nest and two spoiled English bulldogs

2020 Momentum 320G with king bed!
2014 Ford F 350 DRW Lariat

The Toys:
Jacked up EX go,Old Yamaha 4 wheeler,Polaris RZR (seats 2)
Robalo R 227 dual console
58 REPLIES 58

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be honest-- DH is petrified of driving a triple axle and is afraid I won't drive it either. (I am just getting the hang of the boat trailer and haven't attempted driving a trailered RV yet).

I'm getting the itch to go look again, so sometime between tomorrow and Saturday, I'll head on down to the dealership (an hour away) and I'm going to look at them all-- TTTH. 5TH, and triple axle.

The Toys:

Redwing1
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing pulls as well as a three axel trailer plus you need the extra capacity for all the STUFF you will pile into the rig! Dump the China bombs immediately, they are the quickest way to destroy your new rig.
1SG USA (RET)
Newmar Essex 4502

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
We took the Puma out again this weekend and it was terrific. We stayed basically in the neighborhood and half the town was at the campground, so my two 8th graders multiplied into four 8th graders (friends camping there too) and one slept over... 6 in a 6 sleeper Puma. Lol.

Here is my view (first one to bed too) from my spot on the bottom queen bunk closest to the wall-- look at what is between me and the bathroom (door far end).
(14 year olds and dogs).

The Puma was a good starter toy hauler. We are back in "active mode" looking again and want to focus on the Voltage 3200 with a dually.

DH and I both agree that we didn't expect to like camping so much-- we bought the Puma more or less because it would be handy occasionally. Turns out, we all like it.

We are slow, so it might still take a month or two....

The Toys:

Y-Guy
RVpullinGuy wrote:
1. I would not get anything smaller/shorter than a 12' garage. You can fit four full-size ATVs in a 12' garage, but not in a 10'. If you have a RZR, that could change things.

To be clear, a full size Utility ATV like a Polaris Sportsman is nearly 6.5' long while a Sport ATV like a TRX450 will be just a tad over 6' - so always measure.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
That really was very helpful. Thanks.

The Toys:

2500_Grunt
Explorer
Explorer
RVpullinGuy wrote:
After reading this entire thread, and based on the size of your family and their ages, I would recommend:

1. I would not get anything smaller/shorter than a 12' garage. You can fit four full-size ATVs in a 12' garage, but not in a 10'. If you have a RZR, that could change things.

2. The desire to upgrade from you little PUMA trailer, will happen again if you end up going with something too small. So, I would consider something bigger than the two trailers you've primarily been talking about. You already decided to get a tow vehicle big enough. I've heard so many times how people wished they had gone bigger and end up spending a lot more upgrading later.

3. I would strongly encourage you to consider the Voltage no matter size you decide to go with. They have a lot of floor plans (which is really the most important thing). They make equally good trailers to the others and better than most.

4. No matter which one you decide to buy, make sure you use the PDI checklists found on this site. PDI = Pre Deliver Inspection. Using a good one and taking your time, can identify problems right off the bat and get them fixed before you leave the lot. Give yourself plenty of time to do it. Some highly suggest you "camp" overnight in the parking lot of the RV dealer to verify all systems before you drive away.

A thought to keep in mind: All RVs will have problems. None of them are made very well. It's just a fact of life. So, pick a Voltage, Fuzion, or Cyclone (when you're ready) with a floor plan you like and don't look back.

That's a great post!
2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 SRW long bed
2014 FS28 Evergreen Amped TH Blue Ox 2000# WDH
2300CC VW turbo 4 seat sandrail, Yz450f, 350 Raptor quad

RVpullinGuy
Explorer
Explorer
After reading this entire thread, and based on the size of your family and their ages, I would recommend:

2. The desire to upgrade from you little PUMA trailer, will happen again if you end up going with something too small. So, I would consider something bigger than the two trailers you've primarily been talking about. You already decided to get a tow vehicle big enough. I've heard so many times how people wished they had gone bigger and end up spending a lot more upgrading later.

3. I would strongly encourage you to consider the Voltage no matter size you decide to go with. They have a lot of floor plans (which is really the most important thing). They make equally good trailers to the others and better than most.

4. No matter which one you decide to buy, make sure you use the PDI checklists found on this site. PDI = Pre Deliver Inspection. Using a good one and taking your time, can identify problems right off the bat and get them fixed before you leave the lot. Give yourself plenty of time to do it. Some highly suggest you "camp" overnight in the parking lot of the RV dealer to verify all systems before you drive away.

A thought to keep in mind: All RVs will have problems. None of them are made very well. It's just a fact of life. So, pick a Voltage, Fuzion, or Cyclone (when you're ready) with a floor plan you like and don't look back.
RVpullinGuy
2006 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison CC SB
2005 Sierra T28 Toy Hauler
RZR XP41K, YamRaptor700, KawiKFX700, (2)Hon400Ex, Hon250EX, SuzLT80

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
Well do, thanks,

The Toys:

riwolfman
Explorer
Explorer
spleenstomper, we have a 4012 KZ Inferno and love it, lots of room, lots of sleeping areas, both a couch and a large U shaped dinette, TV hookups in every sleeping area, and build quality is great. Check out the floor plan on KZ's site

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone. Just wanted to update that we still have the little Puma and have shelved the whole idea of larger at the moment. We will eventually go larger, but need to go camping more (haven't been since I posted the original thread!!), so we are hanging out thinking about it.

Meanwhile our friends went camping ONCE and went and ordered a large bunkhouse toy hauler...lol..

The Toys:

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Best of luck. Its always fun shopping.

As for the loft. Unless you have young kids, it may end up a waste. Our sons are 19 and 13. It only took a year for them to abandon the loft. Now its just a storage area. Since our Cyclone is pitiful regarding storage, we usually put extra clothes and stuff up there.

The boys would rather sleep on the couch or in the garage.

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for continued input. I made it to a RV dealership today and they didn't have any fuzions.

They did have a cyclone 3100, and I have now eliminated cyclone because the lack of storage in the kitchen is a deal breaker for me. I have massive food allergies, and so one thing I really need is to take my special needs kitchen with me. The few cabinets it has are entirely too high for me to reach and im sure I would get frustrated because I don't think the 2 step step ladder would be enough.

I looked at a voltage 3200 which I liked very much. I lose the loft/perch bed and lose a sofa bed, so it sleeps less people but gains in stuff.

I also looked at the Raptor 332 which I also liked.

I need to see the fuzion 342 in person and then maybe we will get to decide.

Oh, the voltage is much lighter than the others, not sure where the weight was dropped, so we definitely need to check each RV against each other in terms of fuel tanks, water tanks, etc.

Thanks again!

The Toys:

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
I am one of those who thinks my 45' Cyclone is still too short. Bigger is better. As for the state parks, there hasn't been a single one we couldn't camp in. A few of the sites were too short but the majority would fit us just fine.

We got a toy hauler primarily because we race ATVs in a hare scramble series. Our races are throughout NC and SC and most of the time they are in somebody's field somewhere. Our tracks run about 8 miles through woods and other terrain so we camp in some raw conditions.

Having a big toy hauler is great for this. The generator runs from mid-Saturday until we tear everything down Sunday around 6:00pm. Whether we run one or both ACs, the 30 gallon fuel tank is more than enough. In the fall when its no AC, we don't burn maybe ten gallons the entire weekend. Our 100 gallons of water is good and we typically can take plenty of showers but I wish I could carry more like a Voltage offers. Once in awhile the grey tank for the shower backs up but since we're usually in some cow pasture, I go outside and water the grass underneath the camper with about 30-40 gallons. Its just bath water.

As for the quality of our Cyclone? Its sucks. But a big toy hauler is what we'll always have. Just not another Cyclone.

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
There are all kinds of tricks to get by. If your kitchen sink drains to the grey tank and you have a large enough fresh water tank, you may want to consider doing the dishes outside in a plastic tote using the outside shower for water. I've even seen people put a large pot in the shower to catch some of the water to later use for hand washing or maybe even to soak dishes in prior to scrubbing them. The most basic idea there would be just to dump the water outside to conserve grey tank space.

We used to carry extra water in a plastic barrel when we didn't have hookups with the Rockwood. We usually used 50 to 60 gallons on a 4 day trip with 4 adults and our fresh tank was only 30 gallons.
2011 Ford F-350 4X4 CC LB SRW 6.7
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog