cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator gone!

bogart661
Explorer
Explorer
We have been camping for more than 30 years, in tents, pop ups, travel trailers and 3 different 5th wheels and have never had anything go missing until last week. We had a great week at Pismo Beach missing the triple digit temps at home, woke up on our last day and found the heavy duty braided cable that locked our Yamaha EF2400iS generator to the front leg cut and the generator gone. We filed a report with the Ca State Park police and our insurance company. I have already ordered 2 new Yamaha EF2000iS with the parallel cables.
I am looking for any suggestions for securing the generators, I was planning on getting a Kryptonite chain and lock, anything better out there?
Vinnie and Chris
2013 2WD Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD Crew Cab Short Bed Duramax/Allison Reese R16 Slider
2014 Crossroads Cruiser Patriot CF305SK
32 REPLIES 32

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Junk4u wrote:
We are in process of install a video surveillance on our fifth wheel. We also have a recorder in the truck looking out the windshield.

Even if you don't have video.. a small sign saying you are on camera, does wonders..

You can't stop a good thief.. A cordless cut off tool will cut through anything, very fast..

But maybe you can get it back, if you can ID them .

Hoodies pretty much defeat cameras although I do like the camera idea. Being from canada I guess I fall into the "not worth killing someone over "camp. I pay enough for insurance I'd sure use it if my 2400is grew legs although I do chain it to the bumper to keep the honest campers honest.

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
Not saying this is applicable everywhere, nor everywhere in Canada, nor typical, just what (didn't) happen to me:

In a Provincial Park campground this summer I left the front storage compartment door wide open overnight and most of the next day as we were touring the area.
My off-brand 2KW inverter generator was in plain sight the whole time , along with a bunch of other stuff, none of it was touched.

I hastened to close and lock it when I got back, and put the genset in the back of my truck as I know the locks on those compartments are a joke. We were there several more days and I still have that generator.

Tim
2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS
2018 Silverado 3500HD D/A Double Cab Dually LT

Junk4u
Explorer
Explorer
We are in process of install a video surveillance on our fifth wheel. We also have a recorder in the truck looking out the windshield.

Even if you don't have video.. a small sign saying you are on camera, does wonders..

You can't stop a good thief.. A cordless cut off tool will cut through anything, very fast..

But maybe you can get it back, if you can ID them .

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I do the same as Royb, keep my 2000i in the back of the truck under a soft trifold tonneau cover. I do keep it locked in there with a better bike lock, but that's just to keep the walk by thief honest. Also have a locking tailgate, between the cover and the tailgate it'd take a bit of work to get to the generator. I believe just being out of sight is the best preventative that I'm willing to take. With the 8' bed the trifold does not get in the way of hitching up, fairly cheap at $400, and more or less easily removed.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

TOOBOLD
Explorer
Explorer
When we go to Pismo I chain my Honda to the bumper of the trailer. At night I place the generator on the floorboard of the truck. I then activate the truck alarm.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Be tough in that trailer with the ac going and the generators running....
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

bogart661
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm not much of a gun guy so I'll pass on those suggestions. I received my new Yamaha 2000's and my plan is to chain them during the day with a Kryptonite chain and lock and put them inside at night, out of sight out of mind.
Vinnie and Chris
2013 2WD Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD Crew Cab Short Bed Duramax/Allison Reese R16 Slider
2014 Crossroads Cruiser Patriot CF305SK

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Yosemitebobr wrote:
Same type used in automotive. The one when you push on a car and it sets it off. You can get them at any auto security store, and I believe I got mine at Walmart. My gen is a Champion 4500 but also sits on the moveable bumper space. Has a small plug so I can remove the Gen when I'm home.

Thanks for the info!

Yosemitebobr
Explorer
Explorer
Same type used in automotive. The one when you push on a car and it sets it off. You can get them at any auto security store, and I believe I got mine at Walmart. My gen is a Champion 4500 but also sits on the moveable bumper space. Has a small plug so I can remove the Gen when I'm home.
YosemiteBobR (Bob)
2022 Venture Sonic Lite
My DW the co-pilot/navigator (the boss):)

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Can you tell us what type of motion alarm you have? I have been looking around for one.

Yosemitebobr
Explorer
Explorer
Hence, why we have insurance. Odds of it happening are low, but yes, it does happen. They have to work to get mine off, and it also has a motion alarm on it. I'm sure someone can figure that out too, but I'm not going to lose my life over it, or you.
YosemiteBobR (Bob)
2022 Venture Sonic Lite
My DW the co-pilot/navigator (the boss):)

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
I got a Costco inverter generator just for the trip to Pismo. I didn't want my Honda 3k sitting in the salt air, or someone else's pickup.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
These people make great products, I have a custom fuel tank from them and they make generator boxes now.
KSH Marine

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just leave mine sitting outside with no lock. They just think I must be some crazy SOB. Who wants to mess with crazy? Worked so far.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS