cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator options

jholovacs
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a fulltimer in an RV park, so I generally don't have to worry about power, but I also live in southern Florida and I'm told we will lose power quite often in the wake of a bad storm or hurricane.

I just picked up a new Open Range 5th wheel, with 2 A/C units (one 15KBTU and 1 13.5KBTU) plus a washer/ dryer unit. I'd like to have some assurance that I could keep power going when I need to.

To this end, I'm looking for something small (space is at a premium), fairly low-maintenance, and powerful enough to power my RV like I was plugged in, but not cost a boatload.

I originally looked at the LP generator option available for the Open Range, but the dealer was quoting me $7500-$8500. I suppose that would make sense if I wanted the cadillac of bivouacking, where noise and vibration and convenience were a big deal, but that's not what I'm looking for.

Any recommendations?
2011 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew/ EcoBoost/ 4.10 diff
2016 Open Range 319RLS
2012 Keystone Outback 298RE (traded in)
24 REPLIES 24

wantabe351
Explorer
Explorer
Remember to keep it simple and think how you will use it and how often..From the answer to how it will be used will determine what type and size needed..Everyone above gave you many examples of power requirements and what you need..1st power, then size/weight and its fuel...Now a Full timer in a RV park for power outage use will need to use the Gen what 2 to 4 times a year...Then I would get a simple portable Inverter type Gen with enough power for your main ac unit and run your electronics and lights...And since it stays at the rv park with you get a cover or better a storage box to keep it in stored under the 5er until its needed, that could be the slide out, front bedrm or rear lgrm..and slide it out, uncover, add fuel but which type is up to you for storage of that becomes the next problem..Now most portablem gens run on gas so watch the amount you keep and how long for even with Stable the shelf life is 3 to 4 months before it breaks down..unless your truck or car runs on gas. if so then you can rotate the stored fuel putting that fuel every 3 months into its tank and buy fresh fuel to keep..not much work to keep fresh fuel for the gen.....Good Luck on your choice of gen....If it was me get a Honda, Yamaha, a cheaper gen to used is the Champion 3200w for 799$..Remember drain(run out of fuel) the carb of fuel or it gums up and in the moment of need..no start or start and stalls out...
[purple]Rich & Andrea
[/purple] Semi-Retired
2022 Ram2500 6.4 CC

2019Keystone,Impact26v-TH,solarpower

,Lithium Batt.. all to take our 2012 Yamaha FJR along to ride..

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
A 4500W Yamaha will not run two a/cs. How do I know I have one sitting in my shop that wasn't big enough. When I got my Columbus I bought the Honda EU7000is. Which I now use with my GD Reflection.
You have two choices for storage, either the back of your truck or build a rack for the rear.
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd go cheap and light. Champion 3500. During the day run the big A/C and shut the bedroom door. During the night do the opposite.
Or just hook up and leave.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
jmadren wrote:
gtnsmlr wrote:

AS for the heavy lifting, I installed a 99 dollar HF boom lift to get the genie in and out. It also works great for the hitch and anything else I don't want to hassle picking up. it stows under the bed rail.

Wow, that lift is cool! I didn't know they made one that small and inexpensive.

You get the lift and that's all, a lot of fabrication went into the install.
The older we get, the faster we go

jmadren
Explorer
Explorer
gtnsmlr wrote:

AS for the heavy lifting, I installed a 99 dollar HF boom lift to get the genie in and out. It also works great for the hitch and anything else I don't want to hassle picking up. it stows under the bed rail.

Wow, that lift is cool! I didn't know they made one that small and inexpensive.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
In any event, the need for wattage is such that the. More things you power, the less surge wattage matters. An AC requires 2,200 watts to start but only 700 watts to run,so you don't need 4,500 watts to run two ACs, a single 3,000 watt generator will do except in the u likely event both try to start in the same two or three second window of opportunity. If I'm right that 50 amp service is two 25s, then 6,000 watts is enoght to turn everything on at exactly the same time, and with a little thinking about it, the OP could probably live with a 4,500 watt generator. If you guys are right and it's two 50 amp circuits, 12,000 amps will do everything at once and he could probably make do with 7,000 watts.

Again wrong. 50a service is 2 120v 50A lines, total available is 12,000w. On 50a I can run 3 AC's, fridge, water heater, hair dryer, microwave, etc, and every light in the rv.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
I can answer the full power option based upon what I did. I built a box for a Honda 6500 more for security and weather protection than noise.

The older we get, the faster we go

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
rekoj71 wrote:
Personally I don't see any of these options meeting the "No Hernia", or "small space" requirement, though most will meet the full power as if plugged in requirement.

I lived in Florida for 4 years and yes, power outages can happen after a large storm, but it was still not a real often experience. I only remember twice that a power outage was for a day or two. Granted I was in a sticks and bricks at the time, and we had a small 2700 watt generator, but we were the only ones in our cul-de-sac that even had that, and we only used it to keep the fridge running and to power some fans and to keep our portable electronics charged. We ran extension cords into our house and our two neighbors houses. Obviously we didn't run Air-conditioning, but I'm wondering if you are going to pay a lot of money and used space and headache for something you may barely use. If I was back in Florida and in your shoes I would probably just get a smaller generator that would be enough to run the larger of the two air-conditioners and settle for the short term inconvenience of not having full power. Even a few nights in a hotel outside of the black out zone would be cheaper in the long run.

Most logical solution, yet. 🙂

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I don't see any of these options meeting the "No Hernia", or "small space" requirement, though most will meet the full power as if plugged in requirement.

I lived in Florida for 4 years and yes, power outages can happen after a large storm, but it was still not a real often experience. I only remember twice that a power outage was for a day or two. Granted I was in a sticks and bricks at the time, and we had a small 2700 watt generator, but we were the only ones in our cul-de-sac that even had that, and we only used it to keep the fridge running and to power some fans and to keep our portable electronics charged. We ran extension cords into our house and our two neighbors houses. Obviously we didn't run Air-conditioning, but I'm wondering if you are going to pay a lot of money and used space and headache for something you may barely use. If I was back in Florida and in your shoes I would probably just get a smaller generator that would be enough to run the larger of the two air-conditioners and settle for the short term inconvenience of not having full power. Even a few nights in a hotel outside of the black out zone would be cheaper in the long run.

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I got a huge deal on a used 7000 Onan. Called my dealer and he was parting out a motor home and the generator only had 400 hours. He gave me a great price and was easy to install since trailer was generator ready. Excellent setup, and didn't spend that much.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
smkettner wrote:
Yes really. Check the pedestal breakers and the main breakers in your 50a RV.

http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/50amp_Service.htm

My RV is a 30 amp rig. But we are camping, so I went and checked a nearby pedastal and see that it is two 50s. I be edjumacated now, thank you for informing me.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
In any event, the need for wattage is such that the. More things you power, the less surge wattage matters. An AC requires 2,200 watts to start but only 700 watts to run,so you don't need 4,500 watts to run two ACs, a single 3,000 watt generator will do except in the u likely event both try to start in the same two or three second window of opportunity. If I'm right that 50 amp service is two 25s, then 6,000 watts is enoght to turn everything on at exactly the same time, and with a little thinking about it, the OP could probably live with a 4,500 watt generator. If you guys are right and it's two 50 amp circuits, 12,000 amps will do everything at once and he could probably make do with 7,000 watts.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
naturist wrote:
Uh, you guys sure about that? I thought a 50 amp rig had two 25 amp legs, which would be 6,000 watts. So a 50 amp rig is built to use 4 times the power of a 30 amp rig? Really?
Yes really. Check the pedestal breakers and the main breakers in your 50a RV.

http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/50amp_Service.htm

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Uh, you guys sure about that? I thought a 50 amp rig had two 25 amp legs, which would be 6,000 watts. So a 50 amp rig is built to use 4 times the power of a 30 amp rig? Really?