Thanks
34 REPLIES 34

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
northmeck0255 wrote:
No generator=no a/c and no ball game.

It's pretty simple.

No generator, no ball game, no AC, no problem.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

northmeck0255
Explorer
Explorer
No generator=no a/c and no ball game.

It's pretty simple.
2010 Airstream 27FB Classic Limited
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We have an installed propane Onan 5500 and love it. We used it extensively on our recent trip to Alaska. And no. We feel it did not suck down propane as we only had to fill three 30 lb tanks during our trip (3 months). Because we had the onboard generator, we were able to stay in places with no power. Our favorite campgrounds we natl, BLM, and USFS campgrounds which had no utilities. Was it expensive to purchase? Yes, but we found a really good deal on line and our after market install was quite a bit less than a factory install. We also have a PSW inverter. We had portable Hondas but always worried about them being stolen and since we have a diesel truck, we had no need for gasoline except for the portable generators. You can now get a wireless, programable start for the Onan that us really important if you have pets. We are fulltimers and we are glad we spent the money on an onboard generator.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
rjsurfer wrote:
jauguston wrote:
Keep in mind those that recommend relying on solar for your power needs as your only source don't bother to mention that in order for your solar to work you need to park in the SUN. Not always a confortable place to be (-: Solar is fine I have a big solar system but I also have a generator. Here in NW Washington there are many days when my solar system delivers nearly no power. We use our coach year around and there are a LOT of cloudy/rainy days.

Jim

Couldn't agree more...

Plus my wife and I love the shade, torture for us is to be out in the middle of an open campground with the sun baking down on us. Remember if your camping east of the Mississippi more often then not there will be trees.

Our Honda 2000 does a great job in supplying cheap/quiet electricity for the camper, we can even run the air conditioner reliably with a few minor adjustments to our power usage, do it all the time.

Ron W.

Take it on the parkway, and then tell me it is quiet. There is no such thing as a quiet gen in the BRP CGs. But then. You won't need AC there either.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
jauguston wrote:
Keep in mind those that recommend relying on solar for your power needs as your only source don't bother to mention that in order for your solar to work you need to park in the SUN. Not always a confortable place to be (-: Solar is fine I have a big solar system but I also have a generator. Here in NW Washington there are many days when my solar system delivers nearly no power. We use our coach year around and there are a LOT of cloudy/rainy days.

Jim

Couldn't agree more...

Plus my wife and I love the shade, torture for us is to be out in the middle of an open campground with the sun baking down on us. Remember if your camping east of the Mississippi more often then not there will be trees.

Our Honda 2000 does a great job in supplying cheap/quiet electricity for the camper, we can even run the air conditioner reliably with a few minor adjustments to our power usage, do it all the time.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
jblake240 wrote:
Buying new 40ft fifth wheeler, and curious if anyone
has comment one buying a generator with the camper
or if of one is even needed.
Thanks

We have been camping for 30+ years. Camp on the Blue Ridge Parkway all the time. That is primitive camping at it's best. In those 30+ years. Not once did we need a generator. We have however heard the durn things polluting the air with their noise, and smelled the exhaust polluting the air we breath, and running off the animals.

Now having said that. IF you plan on overnighting at WalMart, or a truck stop, or rest area. A gen could be a good thing to have.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

dezl_dr
Explorer
Explorer
I stay as cheaply and as I can. I don't want to rv park unless it's where I'm going.
We use an on board generator a lot, I don't want a portable or worse yet portables. Just more to worry with.
We stop at any wide spot and fire it up, take a break, have lunch and then move on.

I can see where some would have no use for one, but I bought one for the last rv and another for this one.
2014 F-350 DRW, 2010 Elite Suites 38'

northmeck0255
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't own an RV without an installed generator.
2010 Airstream 27FB Classic Limited
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4

jwillie44
Explorer
Explorer
I have a generator because it gives me more flexibility on places to stay. That said, I spend almost every night in an RV Park. But occasionally it's nice to have.

Check out the eBook, "Small House, Big Yard" for more ideas.

RAINEYTXX
Explorer
Explorer
Why wouldn't you get one-lots more choices when stopping or power goes out of shore cord gets stolen or left behind. You can RV without a bathroom, holdings tanks heat and airconditioning. But, having those items sure makes it more enjoyable as does 120V whenever you want it.
2012 DRV Mobile Suites Atlanta 43'
2012 F-450
2016 Audi Q5
2011 Audi A8L
2004 Audi A4 6 speed sport package

overhill7
Explorer
Explorer
Had a generator in last 5th wheel. When I sold it gen had 22 hrs on it. Those were all from "exercising" it per the manual. Totally depends on how you plan on using your rv. In my case very expensive mistake. You really dont get much if any value for it at trade in time.

KBfiredog
Explorer
Explorer
The only reason to have an onboard generator, is if you camp where there are no hook ups. Generators take up your storage space. I have been rving for about 11 years, dry camped 4 times and used my cheap Champion. If I dry camped more, I would by a couple of Honda generators. Good luck,KB
2011 Cameo 37RESLS
2012 Ford F350 PSD DRW

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
stickdog wrote:
We've been fulltime four years and could have used a gen on three different occasions, going to AK next year and will have a small Honda or Yamaha.

That's it. If you had it you would use it more often. You would not have to plan to use it. When you stop you could have electric for any silly reason. Coffee,hair Dryer microwave,nap with A/C, leave the dog in the RV with A/C on while you go to Cracker Barrel for breakfast.
Stop in a rest area and let a thunderstorm pass while you watch a movie,
You would find lots of unimportant reasons to have electric if it were as easy as pushing a button.
Not a cheap option. Not necessary, but just a nice convenience/feature to have
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We've been fulltime four years and could have used a gen on three different occasions, going to AK next year and will have a small Honda or Yamaha.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu