cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

generator question

dennyida
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of ours is selling a lot of his equipment that he no longer uses. One item I am looking at is his champion 4000w generator. It has a 30 amp tt-30r outlet for rv`s. We might try some boondocking next year and was thinking this might be a good investment. I don`t know if it would be big enough to run a coffee pot and air conditioner and the wee blonds curling iron.(I might have to cut the coffee pot for the curling iron).
12 REPLIES 12

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
I would do as suggested above, have your buddy fire it up. Grab a couple of chairs and get comfortable and try and imagine having a conversation around the RV, then go inside for a bit and "test" the sound in there. If you can tolerate it and your neighbors aren't going to have fits over the noise you and your generator are making go for it!

We bought a Honda Handi a few years ago, we can have our gen running just outside the back of our unit and barely hear it (in eco mode) from sitting under our awning and can't hear it in the RV. Noise is going to be huge for you AND your neighbors.

Good luck on your purchase.

Dan

readytow
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 3500 watt running load, 4000 watt peak load, champion generator, with remote start. I am using it on a Sunnybrook 31BWKS. during deer, and elk hunting trips, I have ran it for 5-6 hours straight. Manufacture says it is only 68db running. With the remote start I can set it up, 50 or 60 feet away. It does run my microwave, refrigerator, portable heater, tv, and dvd player all at once. I have not tried my A/C unit with it yet.
This is the second champion generator I have had, still have the first one, that a buddy uses.
I paid about $420 through Cabelas for the new generator this year.
Quite happy with both of them. Much happier with the remote start at 20 degrees in the morning.
they are pretty good units, if you can get them at a good price.

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
dennyida wrote:
We might try some boondocking next year and was thinking this might be a good investment
An investment I would not call it. If you like boondocking, you'll likely grow irritated at how loud it is, and so will your neighbors.

A loud generator can ruin the ambiance of a nice camp spot. So can a quiet one, after a period of time.

when i boondock i don't have neighbors to irritate so i really don't care how noisy it is
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

W5CI
Explorer
Explorer
I had that generator, It would run the AC until the AC cycled then it would not restart the AC, I installed a hard start cap on ac and it still would not run the Ac. So I got rid of it. I got a 3000 watt Honda handi to replace it. It wont run the Ac either unless it is on high speed,not ECO. good luck
2015 RAM 3500 DRW
2004 Cedar Creek 30RLBS

twopetes
Explorer
Explorer
Check the internet. I have a 3500/4000 Champion with remote start. Paid $430 delivered. It has the 30 amp RV plug. I tested on our 36 foot Montana and it will run everything including one A/C unit (our 5er has two). The noise is not bad when compared to a duel Honda set up under load. Remost start is great.

Get it for the right price!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
dennyida wrote:
We might try some boondocking next year and was thinking this might be a good investment
An investment I would not call it. If you like boondocking, you'll likely grow irritated at how loud it is, and so will your neighbors.

A loud generator can ruin the ambiance of a nice camp spot. So can a quiet one, after a period of time.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
Careful and do not pay too much for it. They can be bought new for ~$300.
magic43

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
30Amp is 3600W at 120V

Have your friend fire it up......if runs/loads and CHEAP/CHEAP buy it

Always can use it to power fridge/lights at home during power outages
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the hurricane kit at home I have a Champion 3500/4000 (3500 watts continuous ((about 30 Amps)) and 4000 watts peak, or starting, load) and it will run anything on the trailer that I can run on a 30Amp park pedestal connection.

Lights and misc draws plus any two major items at one time. A/C and Microwave; Water Heater and A/C; Microwave and hair dryer; etc.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Champion generators are not known to be the quietest brand. My guess this one will be one of their noisy craftsman models and bery noisy.

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
Use Ohms law to figure out watts and amps use. Amps times volts = watts. Watts divided by volts = amps. From there add up the power each appliance uses compared to the generators capacity. Cheers Doug

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
A 4000 watt generator should be able to run any of the items you have listed. But not all at the same time. Maybe any two items at the same time.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff