cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Axles Flipped - any potential problems??

Davezogg
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a 2008 Cherokee 5th wheel and towed it home with my new 2016 Ram 4x4 6.4 gasser.

The towing experience was wonderful, though the camper only weighs 6,500 pounds. Truck is a fabulous tow vehicle and I would certainly recommend it.

The problem is that I am about 8-9 inches nose high in the front!! I towed 400+ miles to get the rv home, but I know this is not good. I expected some swaying or worse on the trip, but all went well...surprised.

Anyway, I am getting the axles flipped next week for $425...reasonable I think.

I am wondering about the problems this might cause. I know lots of folks do the flip, but I am concerned about any negative results.

I already raised the pin box almost all the way up (one hole left), and gained an inch. So, I have another inch there. Also, I have a Curt Q16 slider lowered all the way down.

I'm assuming I'll get 5 inches out of the axle flip and another inch from the pin box, which will still leave me 2-4 inches nose high.

I guess I'll be towing a little nose high but I am at a loss at to what else to do....

Any advice is certainly appreciated...thanks in advance.
20 REPLIES 20

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure they use NEW u-bolts, not re-use the old ones.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Ed9824v
Explorer
Explorer
I have done it to three trailers now all work fine, last year took a 4000 mile trip in our raised/flipped axle trailer no problem, I have more problems if I do not have the bed to 5er clearance because of the roads on our property and come very close to touching bed to trailer. I had an old pull out step from a pull trailer and welded some metal to it and it just attaches to the last stem and gives me one more step when I need it, slips over and snaps down and is on. came so close to being able to fit in place while traveling but protrudes a little too much. YOU ARE GOING TO BE FINE. and less problems catching things under trailer and easier to dump in some places, all is good
Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

Davezogg
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I'm good on the bed to camper clearance at 6-7".....

My wife is concerned that we are "re-engineering" our camper....might be top heave, might bounce, brakes might work different, etc. She sees lots of potential issues.

We did note at a campground that a few big fifth wheels apparently came with the axles beneath the springs from the factory, or they have been flipped.

I guess it will all work ok......

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion if you do the axle flip or spring over, being a couple inches out of level won't hurt a thing! Been towing out of level for a couple years on a toy hauler loaded and haven't had any issues.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP