cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

gladiator tires

thesenator
Explorer
Explorer
iam thinking of getting away from tow max st235/80r/16/10 that I have on my 2010 wildcat dry 10292 lbs. to many problems. they want to put me into a gladiator lt235/85r16-14 wondering if anyone has any thoughts on there. is this over kill or any other problems they are willing swap them out for all the problems ive had at no charge
???????
thank you
19 REPLIES 19

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
My understanding is that all the Maxxis ST tires are manufactured in Thailand.

And let's not confuse PRC with ROC.

The problem tires from 'China' seem to come from PRC - only.

Tim

sleekcrafter
Explorer II
Explorer II
agreed, Went into the warehouse to visual inspect the tire I was about to purchase. I'm confident with my purchase, and happy with the product.
2001 7.3L F350 CC SB DRW BTS auto, Elkhorn 11X TC, 31 Jayco Designer, 1979 Belco Tunnel Dragster DragBoat

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Campinfan wrote:

I will continue to buy American stuff when I can. Just put new Cooper tires on my truck...made in USA. And they were cheaper than the foreign junk.

You may already have "Foreign Junk"..;)

Check your tires for country of origin.
Some mfg in USA - some mfg at "CCT".

Either way, Cooper probably won't be made in the USA much longer - in fact it was almost gone - lock, stock, and barrel to India Tire mfg Apollo - but Cooper's Chinese partner Chengshan (Shandong) Tire Company balked at the Apollo takeover and went on strike & locked out Cooper mgmt.

Strike caused major losses for Cooper..:(

It's known as "CCT" for Cooper Chengshan Tire.

Apollo is suing Cooper.

However, apparently Cooper has a separate billion dollar tire mfg facility in China.

Google: "Cooper and Chinese partner Extend Deadline" -
that will get you to Modern Tire Dealer with lots of related links for additional articles at the bottom of the page.

And/or simply Google: Cooper Tire Chinese Partner.

Kinda like an ongoing soap opera - you need to find the latest episode to get "caught up"!..:W

~

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Campinfan wrote:

and hence the problem with Chinese stuff...I firmly believe they do it on purpose so they can put US manufacturing out of business.

There is no problem with "Chinese stuff". (won't go into dog food, LOL!)

The Chinese are very capable of mfg anything to the desired specs.

Ex: As in other countries, Michelin has two mfg facilities in Mainland China (the PRC).

Most major tire companies don't want their name on ST tires.
Bad karma with name recognition when they fail!..:(

One in particular had major ST failures -and still does- when their tires were mfg in the USA.
The tires fault or the owner's fault?
Doesn't matter - still bad karma for the brand name.

~

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:

Get rid of the TowMax for sure.
I switched to Maxxis M8008.
Not made in China, And have a very good reputation.

"Not made in China".

Cheng Shin Rubber Company (Maxxis) originated and is headquartered in The Republic of China (ROC).
Previously known as Formosa - and also Taiwan.

Cheng Shin Rubber Company (Maxxis) manufactures tires in:
The Republic of China (ROC) = Taiwan.
Thailand.
Vietnam.
And also at two mfg facilities in the People's Republic of China (PRC).

Soooo - are your tires mfg in "China"?..:@.

If so - which "China"..:h.. - or maybe Vietnam or Thailand?..:h

The country of origin code on the tires should tell..;)

Maxxis -10th largest tire mgr in the world - does have a good reputation..:C

~

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
I had put Coopers on a 1997 F350 Dually and put 20,000 miles on them before I sold the truck. They were wearing good and no problems.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
and hence the problem with Chinese stuff...I firmly believe they do it on purpose so they can put US manufacturing out of business, then by the time everyone knows what junk they make,there are no alternatives. I believe they call it "dumping". They do it with tires, kids toys, dog food, etc...Remember the recent dog food issues...there have been more than one recently. Latest I think was chicken jerky treats for dogs.

I will continue to buy American stuff when I can. Just put new Cooper tires on my truck...made in USA. And they were cheaper than the foreign junk.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Search gladiator

Yeah -
search a bit further than the "glitzy" Gladiator site (link) posted by "TXiceman"..:R..:S

In the 2007 news release (Rubber News dot com), the API (American pacific Industries) CEO refused to disclose the name of the Chinese tire manufacturing plant in Quindao, China.

More recently.....(July 2014 - Modern Tire Dealer)...

*ILLEGAL* GLADIATOR LT and ST TIRES FAIL CUSTOMS

Can you say, "Buyer Beware"??

Those tires could have been.......YOURS !!..:S

On edit: (in the linked article) -
"These were contraband tires shipped to the US illegally", says Jeff Krietzamn. CEO of API. "They never cleared customs, they were scrap tires, we don't even know where they came from".

Kinda like one of those cop shows - when the cop gets permission to search the car of the guy he just pulled over.

"Who do the drugs under the front seat belong to?"
(Who do these tires in the shipping container belong to?)

A. "Not me. Somebody must have left them there".

"But they're under the *your* seat!"
(But the shipping container was shipped to you).

A. "Not mine! I don't know how they got there"..:R

Hmmmmm .....maybe they came from the same "undisclosed" mfg plant in China - the same plant the CEO referenced in 2007?
Guess he *still* doesn't know where they come from after seven (7) years, ROTFL..:B

Maybe it's just me - but I'll pass on API's Gladiators..:W

~

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I believe it's been stated here in the past that Sailun has good QA in place, which may be why they end up with a better reputation.

The problem is figuring out which tires are good and which are not.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
We've had a Gladiator brand made in the USA around here for many years sold mostly from farm and ranch stores/grain elevator's/small town tire stores/etc. I have no idea if the tire in question is made in china or the house brand from a USA tire manufacture.

There are some very good P and LT tires from china/korea and other rim countries as evident by the all steel carcass Sailun S637 LT235/85-16 G tire @3750 lb/110 psi.

IMO most folks that have had issues with china made ST tires may be of the opinion that all china made tires (P and LT) are junk which simply isn't the case.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
The reason I stay away from Chinese tires or anything I can is because they (the Chinese companies. have been caught, quite often, initially making tires to standards and then cutting corners after awhile oping no one notices. They do this with toys (adding lead to them). Once something like a tire is made, its hard to tell if meets standards unless it fails or unless a company takes a random sample and tests them. Plus there are many news articles about how they devalue their money so things are cheaper,then Anerican Manufacturers go out of business and then we have no choice but to buy their junk.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
darsben wrote:
Gladiator tires are a house brand for a U.S. and Canadian tire distributor.
The problem with SOME Chinese tires is that the companies buying the tires from China are not watching to make sure Chinese factories are properly compounding, heating and molding the tires. Most if not all manufacturing is a joint venture with China controlling the factories and tire companies buying the product. Some tire companies
Virtually all tire companies in the world have a presence in China and are having tires made there. Yes even Michelin has tires made in China for the European market.
So it is not Chinese junk it is lackadaisical manufacturers. The same thing happens with many third world countries; there is no regulation or manufacturing standards so Chinese manufacturing companies are allowed to do lots of things not allowed in North America.
So not all Chinese made tires are junk it depends on how much oversight the tire company gives the manufacturer. In Michelin's case I would not hesitate to buy a Chinese made Michelin.

Would I buy a Gladiator? NO!

You may be wrong about Gladiator. It is owned by API Inc/API Tire, which has many tire brands.

http://apitire.com/Home.aspx#.VAvngyXn8m8

Les Schwab, Simple Tire and others sell them. Les Schwab's house brand is Wild Country.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Hankook from S. Korea is making good inroads into the US market. Know several folks running them on motorhomes and I am giving them a try on out on our 5er.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gladiator tires are a house brand for a U.S. and Canadian tire distributor.
The problem with SOME Chinese tires is that the companies buying the tires from China are not watching to make sure Chinese factories are properly compounding, heating and molding the tires. Most if not all manufacturing is a joint venture with China controlling the factories and tire companies buying the product. Some tire companies
Virtually all tire companies in the world have a presence in China and are having tires made there. Yes even Michelin has tires made in China for the European market.
So it is not Chinese junk it is lackadaisical manufacturers. The same thing happens with many third world countries; there is no regulation or manufacturing standards so Chinese manufacturing companies are allowed to do lots of things not allowed in North America.
So not all Chinese made tires are junk it depends on how much oversight the tire company gives the manufacturer. In Michelin's case I would not hesitate to buy a Chinese made Michelin.

Would I buy a Gladiator? NO!
Traveling with my best friend my wife!