cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GMC 2500HD - Road Warrior 410 - Airbags?

warped_five
Explorer
Explorer
After searching across half the country and countless hours of internet research, we thought we finally found the right match. A Road Warrior 410 5th Wheel Toy Hauler. We have a GMC Denali 2500HD Diesel engine with a 6" lift. We knew that the optimal towing vehicle would be a 3500 dually. But, had determined that airbags (with a few other modifications) would bridge the majority of that gap.

We found our "dream RV" at one of the largest 5th wheel dealers in the country located in central Ohio. Unfortunately, the dealership says that they cannot add the airbags to our truck along with the fifth wheel setup.

My husband, who is a "car guy", says if these guys say it can't be done,then it can't be done. But, I'm heartbroken and not ready to give up. I asked if it was a regulatory thing (like removing the DEF, no respectable dealership do it, but backyard mechanics to it all the time). I was told no.

But, yet through all of research I see folks with trucks similar to ours, adding airbags, and towing fifth wheels.

What am I missing? Can it be done? Should I give up and either decide to go Class A or get another truck?

Thanks for your insight!

-d
21 REPLIES 21

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Yeh, I'd forget about using that truck. Apparently somebody looked up the hitch weight... 3000lbs. I tried 2000 lbs with a HD 3/4T w/airbags and I didn't like the boat feeling ride at all. P/U boxes and 5er aren't the best combo on earth and 4wd and lifts make it even worse... sometimes impossible. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

mudmaker
Explorer
Explorer
Find a different truck. Lifts usually ruin towing capacity. Been there, done that. Tires aren't heavy enough and very few rims are either. All made for looks. Shocks are made to hold up a cool looking truck and take rugged terrain, not to tow anything. I determined they were a huge waste of time and money long ago.
That trailer needs something heavy to pull it with.
Glen and Loretta
Marc, Jake, Kirsten and fur kids Dexter and Bernie
2017 KZ Venom 4114TK Toy Hauler
2015 GMC Acadia
15 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax
11 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax

hazerdous
Explorer
Explorer
Air bags do not increase towing capacity, they are an assist mechanism. your towing capacity is what it is with the truck you have. I think everyone in here agrees that if that is the trailer you desire, a one ton dually diesel is the bare minimum to tow it.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
ADIRKS30 wrote:
wandering1 wrote:
Airbags is just one piece of the puzzle. If you want a vehicle rated to pull a heavier trailer you need to upgrade the suspension system, brakes, engine, transmission, and rear end gear ratio. Its much easier to get a 1 ton.

FYI: Most all makes of the 3 trucks, GMC, Ford, and Dodge, it makes no difference in engine or transmission if you go from 2500 to 3500, the biggest difference for the higher towing ratings is the stability of the dual rear wheels, and the springs are probably a little heavier. This is a very common misconception, not just picking on this poster

The Ram 2500 has a 6,000# RAWR...the 3500 SRW has a 7,500# RAWR, the Dually has a RAWR of 9750#....as also stated, bigger brake calipers on the dually..quite a difference in GVWR also in Ram from the 2500 # 10,000# to the 3500 Dually @ 14,000#...some of the newer trucks can have more difference than one might think...at least on the new ones.

I will agree with stability of the dually over a SRW truck, but that's because I've towed the same 5er with both over the same roads...but there can be more ...
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

ADIRKS30
Explorer
Explorer
That is probably true to

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
ADIRKS30 wrote:
FYI: Most all makes of the 3 trucks, GMC, Ford, and Dodge, it makes no difference in engine or transmission if you go from 2500 to 3500, the biggest difference for the higher towing ratings is the stability of the dual rear wheels, and the springs are probably a little heavier. This is a very common misconception, not just picking on this poster
You are correct as far as engine/transmission are concerned. Maybe even the rear axle BUT last time I looked, on the GMs at least, the duallies have larger and thicker rear brakes.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

ADIRKS30
Explorer
Explorer
wandering1 wrote:
Airbags is just one piece of the puzzle. If you want a vehicle rated to pull a heavier trailer you need to upgrade the suspension system, brakes, engine, transmission, and rear end gear ratio. Its much easier to get a 1 ton.

txdutt
Explorer
Explorer
as others have said, that's WAY too much trailer for a 2500. I'm pushing it with my 5-er but a GVW coming in at 18K you're well into dually territory...
2011 Ford F250 Lariat C/C 6.7 PSD w/Curt 20K Lb Hitch & rear Timbrens
2013 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2013 Infinity 3860MS 5'er/15.5K GVW/41'
U.S. Navy 1978-1986

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
HR

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
It dawn'd on me that she is just pull our legs!!! Why do people lift trucks and then want to pull 5th wheels? Those two things alone rule out this combination. Then throw in the 2500HD. Probably has big mud tires to boot! What is the max rating on the oversize tires???? Might be less than the OEM tires.

Lets send her to the TH area, as there are to many sensible people here!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you value your families life and others get a proper tow vehicle for the RV you want!

I have seen several rigs like what you are talking about on their side along I-10 in the Palm Springs area. A lifted truck has poor stability compared to stock height and that much trailer will push the truck all over the road in mildly windy conditions. Also try making a panic lane change, not pretty!

There are several on here that think with air bags and 19.5's they can tow anything. IMHO a bad idea.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
To the original poster ("warped_five").
I know you are new to this Forum and this was hardly the welcome or answer you were looking for.
BUT everyone who has responded has told it like it is - that toy-hauler is WAY too much trailer for a 2500HD.
If your heart is set on that fiver, then PLEASE trade the truck for a dually.
That way you, your family and everyone on the road around you will be a helluva lot safer.
To reinforce that, there is always the question of liability if you were to be in an accident. I rather suspect most LEOs would figure out you were way overloaded, which would shift the assumption of fault in your direction.
And that's before any plaintiff's lawyers start talking "negligence"!

That is a hole you REALLY don't want to dig yourself out of!
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

rugersdad
Explorer
Explorer
Don't take this the wrong way, put the family in a chase car or get a dually.

TOOBOLD
Explorer
Explorer
Do you need a special license to tow that TH in KY? Here in California you need a Non Commercial Class A to tow that legally.