cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Going to an RV park for the first time ?

Bigmoss
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought my first 5er and big trailer and have made reservations at an RV park in Saratoga Spring for a four day stay end of this month. I'm looking for advice on things I will need as this is my first park experience.

I'm still learning on backing up so I reserved a pull through spot with full water, sewer and 50amp service. I have my sewer hose in the rear bumper and my built in power cord. I have a non kink fifty foot white RV water hose. 40lbs propane bottle is full. Wood pieces for under the front and rear legs. Black and grey water treatment for the tanks this will be the first time using them.

Am I missing anything ?
2016 Ford F-150 Screw Lariat Short Box
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
Reese 30051 Hitch with Revolutionary Pin
42 REPLIES 42

Grumpa
Explorer
Explorer
After sewer and water hook up, open the grey water dump valve only at this time. Time to leave and break down, open black tank valve to flush and drain. What I have on the sewer hose at the RV side is a clear connector piece then the sewer hose. Gross looking water, but helps when flushing tanks, see when clean or clear. Have fun.

rattleNsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
I cut a section of clothesline just a bit longer than the longest slide out and coil it up and place it in the driver's door tray until I need it. It works well.
Mike
2010 Cedar Creek 34SATS (The Beast) & 20k Curt Q20 roller slider hitch
2006 Ford F350 SRW,SC Powerstroke diesel Lariat

2003 Harley Heritage Softail (Hogzilla)
and a wifey with tons of patience....

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Bigmoss wrote:
I just bought my first 5er and big trailer and have made reservations at an RV park in Saratoga Spring for a four day stay end of this month. I'm looking for advice on things I will need as this is my first park experience.

I'm still learning on backing up so I reserved a pull through spot with full water, sewer and 50amp service. I have my sewer hose in the rear bumper and my built in power cord. I have a non kink fifty foot white RV water hose. 40lbs propane bottle is full. Wood pieces for under the front and rear legs. Black and grey water treatment for the tanks this will be the first time using them.

Am I missing anything ?

Don't forget to leave clearance for your slide(s) and/or awning as you pull in. Nothing worse than to get right where you want to be and you find you can't put your slides, or awning out. I've seen a couple people use a small flag to mark where they want to have the side of the coach to be so they are sure they have room.

Lyle

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
No suggestions, looks like they are being covered. Just wanted to say, you picked a nice unit. Great size. Wish I could talk my SO into something like that. Low profile, and short. Enjoy!
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

kampinggal
Explorer
Explorer
Saratoga is a great place to camp...about and 1-1/2 from my house and we have camped there a couple of different times for a quick getaway. Most important thing to remember...HAVE FUN!

Too_Young_to_Re
Explorer
Explorer
Get yourself a couple family channel walkie talkies. Really helps when backing up. Wife outside directing without having to be concerned about keeping herself in your mirror. And no yelling.
2018 RAM 3500HD MegaCab,hauling a 2020 Mobile Suites, and loving it.

jamarynn1
Explorer
Explorer
When you get to the park, walk to your site and eyeball it before you try to drive to it. We have on occasion been given a site that we were assured we could fit into but when we got there, there was no way we were going to get in with a big 5'er. One time, we drove back there without checking and not only could we not get into our site, we couldn't continue driving because between a low-hanging branch and a truck blocking too much of the road (with the owner not there) we couldn't make it past. So we had to back the 5'er quite a way down the road. We were not happy campers.

CentralCoastCam
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure roof vents are closed too.
'05 Keystone Challenger 34 TBH 5th wheel MOR/ryde SRE/4000, Dexter wet bolt kit
'05 HD Dodge 3500 DRW extended cab CTD, 4X4, 4:10 gears
Mike & Shannon
Son Kasey & Daughter Lindsay
Alaskan Klee Kai - Kade
Golden Retriver - JD (Just Dog)

srink
Explorer
Explorer
when backing in and setting up and when ready to leave, just take your time. if you rush, sooner or later you'll forget something or make a mistake and damage something. When I'm ready to leave, I always do a walk-a-round. just back away from your truck and trailer and just walk all the way around it and LOOK, LOOK, LOOK. I'm looking for everything from something still being connected to drain open, to antenna up, anything I might have forgoten. Just a precaution. Just take your time and look.
Condo on Wheels

Bigmoss
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys got my missing parts, water pressure adapter, sewer elbow and my 30-50 watt adapter as I confirmed with the campground it is a 50amp connection. Everything else I already had !
2016 Ford F-150 Screw Lariat Short Box
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
Reese 30051 Hitch with Revolutionary Pin

ohiopicker
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:
You will need plastic pads or a 2x8 plank of wood to level the trailer from side to side. Remember to do this first when sitting up in your site, Before you unhook, be sure your slides will extend out without hitting any thing, your power cord, h20 and sewer hose is long enough to reach. Fill your H2o fresh tank is about 1/3 full to use on the road.

Good point on clearance for your slide. After "perfectly parking" my fiver a couple of times, only to find out I was too close to the electrical pedestal for the slide to extend, I carry a little wooden stick that I've cut about an inch or two longer than the distance my slide extends. That way, if the stick fits, the slide will clear any nearby obstacles.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let's not get too complicated with Rotochocks here. This is the OP's first attempt at RVing.

Chocks ARE important! The wedge shape kind that go in front of and behind the trailer wheels are fine to start with. Large ones are better than small ones. The really important thing is to make sure the trailer wheels are chocked BEFORE you start to unhitch the truck EVERY TIME. In your driveway; at the campground; at the dealer's repair shop. EVERY TIME!

Even though the ground "looks" completely level, the trailer can roll away at the strangest times and the damage to the trailer and/or the truck can be significant.

Other things you should have the first trip:

from a camping store or Walmart

Pressure regulator
Sewer elbow
Ground pads (for jacks and stabilizers)
Walkie Talkies

from home

A good flashlight
Rain Gear
A basic handy-man's toolbox
Zip Ties and Sticky-back Velcro

Then relax and learn the rest as you go along. If you need help, ask. RVers are ready to assist. (Setting up your awning might be a good place to start asking. It is not as easy as it appears.)

A
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

CentralCoastCam
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
CentralCoastCampers wrote:
Tire chocks. I personally use and like robochoks.
Rotochok?

That's it, yes, Rotochoks. That's what i get for posting late at night when i can't sleep.
'05 Keystone Challenger 34 TBH 5th wheel MOR/ryde SRE/4000, Dexter wet bolt kit
'05 HD Dodge 3500 DRW extended cab CTD, 4X4, 4:10 gears
Mike & Shannon
Son Kasey & Daughter Lindsay
Alaskan Klee Kai - Kade
Golden Retriver - JD (Just Dog)

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
First remember to enjoy yourself. Like it has been said check to see if you are 30 amp or 50 amp. You can call the campground and ask them if they have 30 and 50 amp at the pole most do. You should however, have an 30/50amp adapter in you collection of needed stuff. Also a 30/15amp adapter that way you can always plug into you home and run lights etc when packing for your trip. Wheel blocks. and wood. Ok adapters and wheel blocks which are made out of plastic can usually be bought at your local Super Wal Mart if you don't have a RV store near by. Measure the length of your wheels on your rig maybe they are six ft. for example. Go and get 1x6, 1x2 and cut them into that length. I also carry a couple of pieces of wood fencing. I use these to help level the fiver when needed. You can also buy the plastic blocks and use these for the same purpose. When you get to you spot pull in make sure you have room for you slides, check your distance to the hook-ups and then check you side to side level. Level as needed. Also make sure you have left room to park the TV. Unhook and level the front. Put out the awnings chairs etc. and relax. If you need anything else take your credit card and go out and buy it. Additional things you be sewer hose elbow, filter for fresh water line and a camera so you can record the smile on your face and your wife's face when you see how happy you are. Good luck and enjoy.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.