Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Design Solitude vs. Montana

Westernskies
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

Currently looking to upgrade our Fifth wheel. I have narrowed it down to a 2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MB and a 2018 Montana 3950BR. I believe I know which one I am going after, but thought I would post here for any advice. When I google comparisons between the 2 they are very bias for one or the other, depending on the author, so not very helpful.

I thought I would post here and see if anyone wanted to share their experiences with the Solitude brand or the Montana brands, good or bad. And if by chance anyone has been looking at the 2, which one did you decide on and why?

Thanks, Joey
30 REPLIES 30

Westernskies
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, this is all helpful, we're probably purchasing in Feb, so lots of time to research everything.

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks goducks10. Will check it out.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
ZeeLet50 wrote:
Just curious, I am looking at Grand Design and would like to know what kind of problems were experienced with the earlier models. I do like their features and the specs match my limits. What I have found is "better built" can lead to heavier trailer which would result in buying a smaller model than I an seeking.

Early on and still a problem but almost non existent was the issue of blown seals on the axles from the factory. (Lippert) This went on for a couple years. Some units had a stain problem on the kitchen island base counter. Seems they didn't apply a clear over it and owners were reporting that when they went to wipe down the base that the cloth would have brown stain on it.
The Kantleak valve used for the switching of water from city to fresh tank leaked. Many owners just fixed it themselves. I believe GD has a different one now. On Reflection models there was also a heat issue with the ducting in the center island cabinet. Seems it made items in there become really hot. I think they had other floor heat duct issues as well.
I read on the GD owners forum daily. I've been on there since GD's inception. I don't see any major issues like cracked frames, I do see some issues like a leaking slide or little items that plague the RV industry as a whole. Normal stuff.
Early on customer service was over the top. Naturally since they were selling far fewer units than now. There used to be almost daily feedback from an on site GD rep. I don't see that happening as much anymore. The CS is still good. I will say though it's not as some will have you believe as the best in the industry. I've had just as good of service (Rarely needed) with my brand. I read a few other brand forums and have seen other owners have no problem getting their units repaired easily. Percentage wise I would say GD is tops. Although if you're buying used then the CS is mute.
Overall I've only rarely read about major issues a few times. Considering how many units they pumping out now, thats pretty good.
You really should spend a month and read about what problems other owners are having over on their owners forun site. It is a pay to play site but you can still read for free.

https://www.granddesignowners.com/forum/forum.php

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
ZeeLet50 wrote:
Just curious, I am looking at Grand Design and would like to know what kind of problems were experienced with the earlier models. I do like their features and the specs match my limits. What I have found is "better built" can lead to heavier trailer which would result in buying a smaller model than I an seeking.

Take this for what it's worth, but our old coach was a '06 Cedar Creek Silverback BH. Had it for 12 years and was an excellent coach. Few years after we bought it, was at dealer doing something and chatted w/ the techs. They went on to tell me then that our coach (remember it's a '06 and this is like '10-'11 area) is a much better built coach than new CC's and they weighed about the same. Today, most RV's are not only longer, they are heavier as well. Better built? Anyone's guess. Can tell you that our new RV weighs considerably more, plus longer, BUT it tows sooooo much nicer. They all use the same vendors. Even our new Big Country has had a couple warranty problems, but still a nice coach. In course of our travels, we've seen quite a few GD, so must be lots of folks like 'em.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
After hauling trailers from factory to dealers and the repairs needed to both after first haul it would be GD all the way. Don't think you could give me a new Montana.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
Have you ever thought about Kz 5th Wheels, just as good as both at a far lower price, I know of two people who had Jayco's an three who had Montana's that bought Durango Gold 5th wheels an are really happy ....

Don't want to change you mind but you might be surprised of how well they are built, no junk an they are now putting G rated tires on the high end 5'ers

Safe Travel

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
gmcsmoke wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Carl n Susan wrote:
I looked at a Solitude two days ago. I was disappointed to see they went with a cheap, limited function Level-Up control pad. There was only front jacks up/down, Autolevel, and Return to Unhitch Position. No manual mode to allow changing tire, greasing wet bolts, changing spring shackles, etc. And Lord help you when the "brain" loses its definition of level and it needs to be reset.

Maybe there were whiners about the "complexity" of the more functional pad. It is not until about the 302 level course that you have learned the functions.

hmm, the level-up control pad is the quick access pad. you still have access to all the features you just described.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkSYQyUxH0g

Yep. Just gotta have sense enough to read the manual and know how to use it.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Carl n Susan wrote:
I looked at a Solitude two days ago. I was disappointed to see they went with a cheap, limited function Level-Up control pad. There was only front jacks up/down, Autolevel, and Return to Unhitch Position. No manual mode to allow changing tire, greasing wet bolts, changing spring shackles, etc. And Lord help you when the "brain" loses its definition of level and it needs to be reset.

Maybe there were whiners about the "complexity" of the more functional pad. It is not until about the 302 level course that you have learned the functions.

hmm, the level-up control pad is the quick access pad. you still have access to all the features you just described.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkSYQyUxH0g

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
topjimmy wrote:
Yep well said,when they first came out I think in 2012 or so many people thought they were the next Big step in 5er's truth is they build nothing better than any other company or ground breaking matter of fact they are followers more than leaders in any new floor plans etc... they are nice 5er's but nothing special over anybody else out there
goducks10 wrote:
Even Grand Design knew when they started building trailers that they couldn't reinvent the wheel. The only way to set themselves apart was to offer better customer service. RV construction is in it's self it's own worst enemy. Most parts are not high quality and labor is running 100 mph to get their quota.
Both the Montana and Solitude use many of the same parts, assembled by the same skill level workforce. Either brand will build good ones and bad ones. The hard part is ciphering thru the info to see where one brand stands above the other.

They did step outside the box a bit with their Imagine TT line. Some nice creative floor plans. Their Momentum TH line also has some nice features. The rest are the same ole stuff. Marketing goes a looooong way.

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Yep well said,when they first came out I think in 2012 or so many people thought they were the next Big step in 5er's truth is they build nothing better than any other company or ground breaking matter of fact they are followers more than leaders in any new floor plans etc... they are nice 5er's but nothing special over anybody else out there
goducks10 wrote:
Even Grand Design knew when they started building trailers that they couldn't reinvent the wheel. The only way to set themselves apart was to offer better customer service. RV construction is in it's self it's own worst enemy. Most parts are not high quality and labor is running 100 mph to get their quota.
Both the Montana and Solitude use many of the same parts, assembled by the same skill level workforce. Either brand will build good ones and bad ones. The hard part is ciphering thru the info to see where one brand stands above the other.
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Carl n Susan wrote:

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

SLE
Explorer
Explorer
I owned a Cedar Creek Silverback 35L4Qb for 5 years until just recently upgrading to a Columbus 385BH. Prior to that I had owned a Cherokee FW, Wildwood TT, and Wilderness TT. The 2008 Cedar Creek that we owned was built like a tank compared to all of the others. A good friend who we camped with very regularly owned a Montana of similar size and layout and both of us agreed the Cedar Creek was simply a better built unit hands down. With that said, I moved up to the current Columbus primarily due to the features and layout. It's a very comfortable RV. I however do not think the build quality is as good the Cedar Creek, unfortunately the Cedar Creek line didn't really offer a comparable unit layout wise (no rear bunk house units any longer) otherwise I would've very likely bought another. This is of course assuming a new one is built with the same quality as our 2008. I can't honestly say I looked at a new one since they didn't have the layout I was looking for.