Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

grounding

costa33
Explorer
Explorer
hello
do i have to ground trailer with a spike in the ground ??
22 REPLIES 22

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
For boondocking and lightning "protection"..

Your RV is *not* a Faraday Cage - unless it has a metal skin,
which is pretty doubtful these days (maybe an Airstream TT?).

So you have a choice of staying in the RV - or sitting it out
in your tow vehicle (or toad) which *is* a Faraday Cage.

Lots and lots of excellent lightning discussions and links.
But that's another thread for another time - or use search for "lightning".

~

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Bipeflier wrote:
If lightning is your concern, think about this:

Rubber tires or wood/plastic blocks seperating the camper from earth is worthless. Lightning is millions of volts and traveles lots of miles to get to ground (cloud to ground lightning). 5" or 6" of insulation sure isn't going to stop it!

Excellent (off-topic) reply, in re: lightning protection.

Back on-topic, a proper ground needs to be driven into the ground at least eight (8) feet.
If your name is John Henry - and you're not parked on a concrete pad, there might be a remote possibility of success..;)

(Earth) grounding comes up from time to time.

This thread provides entertainment and good info - especially the post by "batman99" on page three..:C

"RVs and ground rods"

~

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bipeflier wrote:

Rubber tires or wood/plastic blocks seperating the camper from earth is worthless. Lightning is millions of volts and traveles lots of miles to get to ground (cloud to ground lightning). 5" or 6" of insulation sure isn't going to stop it!

+1!!!!!

Someone else gets it!!!!!!!!!!!
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
There is NO guaranteed protection from a direct lightning strike. This applies to structures, vehicles, people, pets ...
Even manufacturers of surge protective devices admit this.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

butchfuzion
Explorer
Explorer
My uncle unhooked his FW at his house and left the truck sitting close with the power cable dropped down into the bed of the truck (just laying there not plugged in). Lighting hit it, fryed everything in the trailer and the truck.

hbensley
Explorer
Explorer
gkainz wrote:
mine just needs a stern warning ...

"You're grounded!"

and stays there until I hitch it up again. ๐Ÿ™‚

This is funny. Reminds me of my childhood.
We lived across the street from an elementary school. It was torture to see the kids play ball and we couldn't go join them.
Hank Bensley
2014 Voltage 3895 Toy Hauler
2014 RAM 3500 Mega Cab 4X4 Dually AISIN 4:10 gears
2012 Screamin Eagle Street Glide

hbensley@yahoo.com

costa33
Explorer
Explorer
thanks everybody

AUWing
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
trailerbikecamper wrote:
diazr2 wrote:
You can see how the trailer is grounded to earth ground using the typical camp ground pedestal wiring in this diagram. The earth ground wiring is shown in GREEN. All you need to do to ground the chassis of the RV Trailer is connect your 50A or 30A shore power cable to the camp ground pedestal.

So with that said what if your not hooked up to electricity? Say your dry camping?

The short answer is yes.

The technical answer is maybe. The maybe comes from a variety of reasons. Do you have wood blocking under your landing gear? If yes, then most likely not grounded. Dry wood is an insulator, wet wood can conduct electricity. What type of ground are you on? Dry sandy soil= not grounded; moist clay type of soil= grounded

This is all done through your landing gear. It also depends on your landing gear, how is it mounted to your unit? Bolts threaded into the frame mean a better ground connection,than nuts and bolts through a painted frame member.

Not true, the rig gets it's ground from the connector plug, not the wheels or the landing gear.

Except the OP clarified his question to ask about dry camping (boondocking). The 12v system would be grounded to frame same as your car.

You are free to move about
2014 Jayco 331RETS
Thermal Pane, Auto Level, Fireplace
2011 Silverado 2500HD EC Regular Box D'Max / Allison
Great wife and a good dog

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
trailerbikecamper wrote:
diazr2 wrote:
You can see how the trailer is grounded to earth ground using the typical camp ground pedestal wiring in this diagram. The earth ground wiring is shown in GREEN. All you need to do to ground the chassis of the RV Trailer is connect your 50A or 30A shore power cable to the camp ground pedestal.

So with that said what if your not hooked up to electricity? Say your dry camping?

The short answer is yes.

The technical answer is maybe. The maybe comes from a variety of reasons. Do you have wood blocking under your landing gear? If yes, then most likely not grounded. Dry wood is an insulator, wet wood can conduct electricity. What type of ground are you on? Dry sandy soil= not grounded; moist clay type of soil= grounded

This is all done through your landing gear. It also depends on your landing gear, how is it mounted to your unit? Bolts threaded into the frame mean a better ground connection,than nuts and bolts through a painted frame member.

Not true, the rig gets it's ground from the connector plug, not the wheels or the landing gear.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
The key is to make sure the ground is in tact. In many cases if you hook you to a simple 120 volt at home and the ground pin is broken off your extension cord you will get shocked when you touch metal while touching the ground. I know this from experience. Make sure the ground on the cord is in tact whether at home or at the camp site.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

jesse_m_jm
Explorer
Explorer
WARNING - NON-SCIENTIFIC ANSWER FOLLOWS:

I have never seen anyone ground their rig via a wire/spike. Not in my campground, not where I boondock, and not at any primitive campground I have been to. My Owners manual does not mention grounding either.
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
2009 Keystone Raptor 3712TS
Living full time in it with 4 boys. We might be crazy... :B

Our Blog - Our Family RV Adventure

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:
The green wire ground is a safety ground to prevent possible electrical shock when connected to electrical power. If you are dry camping with no power then you do not need any grounding.
If you are using a generator, then the grounding is via the cord to the generator just as it would be to a power pedastal.

This statement is true ONLY if the neutral and ground connections on the generator are connected together at the generator. Not all generators are thus connected. If a specific generator does not have the neutral and ground connected together, then the RV connected to the generator is not properly grounded.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
mine just needs a stern warning ...

"You're grounded!"

and stays there until I hitch it up again. ๐Ÿ™‚
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er