cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

heat pump/ac

rthibodaux
Explorer
Explorer
I got 2 a/c's units and just wandering if it would be beneficial to change one a/c out and have one with an heater and a/c together. I know it use less propane but is the cost justified.
Thanks
Randy
23 REPLIES 23

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
One we removed the furnace to its own thermostat, the heat pump now works down to about 32 degrees. The one in the bedroom also works that low.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Gsport
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, heat pump is the way to go. I just refilled my propane yesterday for the first time in over a year. The only propane we now use is for cooking..

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
Bamaman1 wrote:
I have one ducted a/c unit in the kitchen. I want to add a second a/c unit in my bedroom, and my trailer is prewired for the unit.

Can I move my a/c unit to the front and replace it in the kitchen with a heat pump/a/c unit?

Yes, this is exactly what I did in our Outback. Had to ensure I had the right control box and had to strip a control unit out of the one moved forward since it was then connecting to a control plenum...When we were in Las Vegas last June, everything work like a champ...especially the 15k BTU AC that was moved to our bedroom. 110 degrees out and we had an icebox in there. Put a fan at the bedroom door and let it move some of the cold air out and around.

Cale
TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow
New: 2014 Voltage 3950
Traded: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
Actually all A/C units are heat pumps. You can also call them reverse cycle A/C units.

Ken
Huh?

If it doesn't reverse, it's just an AC, unless you are just trying to confuse the issue like this 30A-2AC side discussion :R
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Jerry_B
Explorer
Explorer
Luke Porter wrote:
wildtoad wrote:
marspec wrote:
I would wait until an A/C bites the dust. Since you have two you must have 50A service so one or two space heaters would do the job.

Not necessarily. You can have two AC units on a 30 amp system. Usually setup to run one or the other off shore power, both while on gen. From what I've read, a unit with a good power management will allow both to run, but have no experience on this one.

No manufacturer would install 2 a/c's on a coach with only 30 amp service.

Wrong! My 30 amp Pace Arrow and National Dolphin both had factory installed A/Cs
Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually all A/C units are heat pumps. You can also call them reverse cycle A/C units.

I'd wait and look for a heat pump on sale.

We love the heat pumps, but once you hit 40 degF outside, they pretty much stop working. Some folks make wild claims that they run them down well below freezing, but my experience says no way for a typical commercial RV heat pump.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
I have one ducted a/c unit in the kitchen. I want to add a second a/c unit in my bedroom, and my trailer is prewired for the unit.

Can I move my a/c unit to the front and replace it in the kitchen with a heat pump/a/c unit?

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We recently purchased another thermostat and moved the furnace to it. This allows our heat pump to work at much lower temps and it does not switch to the furnace. We always had problems before with the heat pump running and then switching to the furnace. Now we can set the heat pump at whatever temp we want and it will run until it reaches that temp. This is one of the best mods we have made in the RV. We placed the new thermostat above the first one and the wiring was easy. Saves us lots of propane.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, we have a 50 amp rig with residential fridge that's powered off the batteries and tow vehicle alternator via an inverter and transfer switch when on the road. The way our CheapHeat system was installed, the strip heat is using 240VAC across L1 and L2, so it doesn't work if only 30 amp service (or miswired 50 amp service) is available - which is basically never for us in the RV parks we frequent. So, it does have its limitations, but since it came on the rig, I figured if I have it why not use it?

Another advantage is that, unlike the ceramic space heaters we used to use, the CheapHeat system keeps the basement warm just like the propane furnace since it uses the same ductwork.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Rusty,

I filled the 60 pound propane tank twice in 2014. I do space heating, water heating, and cook 100% electrically. If you can get a cheap heat that comes "for free" by all means use it. As I have a 30 amp service on my RV the cheap heat is not be able to provide all the heating needed. It is unable to be used as supplemental heat to the propane furnace. At -37 C I need 6000 watts of electric heat to keep warm. The other big issue for me personally is lack of fail over to the propane furnace. Everyone's situation is different and I'm glad the cheap heat works for you.

I do have a way to keep the basement warm which only uses 23 watts of power.

I boondock for months at a time, so my major propane use is for the fridge.

It would require filling the propane tank about every three days at -37 C to keep the RV warm. Gotta love any form of electric heat--but I do need about 45 amps to do so. I love the fireplace idea and wish I could find space for one.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Someone mentioned the Cheap Heat system. Be aware that on the lowest setting it can not be run on a 15 amp circuit. Pay back time is even more astronomical than changing out to a heat pump.

As the one who suggested the CheapHeat system as an alternative, you may be surprised that I'm not going to debate you on the subject because I used to be a naysayer as well - until the RV we bought came from the dealer with a CheapHeat system installed. For me, the convenience of never having to mess with propane refills (we only use propane for rangetop cooking, which is rare with a convection microwave oven available) is the biggest plus, not to mention the financial savings if electricity is included in our campsite rates.

It's sorta like the fireplace - no one seems to want one.....until they've HAD one.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Payback is more or less impossible. If a unit bites the dust--it may be worth the upgrade. For now, see if you can add a heat strip. That costs about $60.

Another alternative is to pick up a $20 heater from Walmart. Do upgrade the outlet you plan to use it with.

Someone mentioned the Cheap Heat system. Be aware that on the lowest setting it can not be run on a 15 amp circuit. Pay back time is even more astronomical than changing out to a heat pump.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rthibodaux
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all, It look like I am going to keep both a/c's and not change one to a heat pump. Thanks for all the feedback. Your thoughts were extremely helpful.

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
My 2 cents is from experience. Ours came with the ac/heat pump combo in the LR. It works down to 30 degrees but takes a long time to heat up the room. We have an electric fireplace and a furnace. The furnace warms up the room much faster and the fireplace keeps it warm. If I had to replace the ac/heat pump I would not get the heat pump. I think the heat pump is noisier than the furnace, if we run it at night it sounds like humming and bothers my sleep. I like the other suggestion, get a space heater, works good and much cheaper (or the cheap heat)