cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help raising 5th wheel landing jacks

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
I want to add something to my landing jack pads to help me raise them without having to bend to much or get on the ground. This is to raise them into the travel position after I am hooked to my truck. I already have the snap pins installed but looking to modify somehow to make it easier to complete the process. I am now disabled and need to make some changes in order to keep enjoying the RV.

I did do several searches here on the forum and was not able to locate anything. Maybe I'm using the wrong search words.

Nay help is appreciated!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
14 REPLIES 14

hyattjlbb
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good ideas, I wish this page had a "like" button on comments!
Jamie - KE0NSE
2011 Jayco Eagle 365BHS
2019 Chevy Silverado CC SRW 3500HD, Max & Alli
Beautiful Wife of only 24 Years:B
Boy at College - 21yrs,:C
Boy - 15yrs:p

Jim102
Explorer
Explorer
I like a lot of the ideas here, but,can you post pictures?
Thanks, Jim
2018 Jayco Precept 29V Class A
Air Force 1969 - 1973

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
laknox wrote:
SoCalDesertRider wrote:
Some of the landing gear jacks for gooseneck trailers have spring loaded legs. As soon as the pin is pulled, the leg goes up by itself, pulled up by an internal spring.

My dad's new 30' gooseneck flatbed trailer has those; 12k jacks and you d@mn-sure don't want any body parts in the way when those buggers go up! :E

Lyle
Sounds good for the retraction, but how the heck do you get them down?

Pull the 1/2" diameter "snap pin", 1/4 turn right or left to lock it in the out position, step on the footpad to push it to the ground (yes, it does take some weight to do so), turn the pin back to center then slowly release the weight to allow it to retract to the next hole. Bad@ass trailer, made by PJ Trailers out of TX. 21k GVW, triple single 7k axles with G tires, but best of all we got it with a 10' 4k capacity hydraulic tail. No more schlepping ramps! 🙂

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
OP here,

Thanks jamway for your response!

This answers two questions for me how to get them up and what to lubricate them with!

Dave

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
I use an old fireplace poker. I took the poker end off and bent it 90° about 1 1/2 inches from the end. I stick the end in a hole near the bottom, pull the snap pin and pull up.

I use dry silicone on the dropdown legs.

Works great.
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
laknox wrote:
SoCalDesertRider wrote:
Some of the landing gear jacks for gooseneck trailers have spring loaded legs. As soon as the pin is pulled, the leg goes up by itself, pulled up by an internal spring.
My dad's new 30' gooseneck flatbed trailer has those; 12k jacks and you d@mn-sure don't want any body parts in the way when those buggers go up! :E

Lyle
You step on the jack leg base with your foot, pushing it down to the ground, then let go of the pin, which is also spring loaded.

And yes, get out of the way when you pull the pin, they go up fast!
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:
SoCalDesertRider wrote:

Lyle
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
RamWilderness wrote:
This Eyebolt works for me. I use my awning rod to snag it. If you have an electric awning you could make up something similar. There is no weight against the pin or bolt so it can be installed with the trailer weight on it. Use a nylock nut on the end and don't over tighten, the leg will easily crush. Hope this helps.

OP Here

This looks like it might work. I have the snap pins will just have to pull the leg up fast enough to keep pin from snapping close

Thanks for a possible simple and inexpensive way to help the situation!

Dave

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
SoCalDesertRider wrote:

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just use my awning rod.

Looped end goes over snap pin and pulls it out
Hooked end goes in open hole on inner leg to lift it
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RamCougar
Explorer
Explorer
This Eyebolt works for me. I use my awning rod to snag it. If you have an electric awning you could make up something similar. There is no weight against the pin or bolt so it can be installed with the trailer weight on it. Use a nylock nut on the end and don't over tighten, the leg will easily crush. Hope this helps.
2003 Ram CTD QC LB 4x2 MT, LuK 13", 4:10LS, GDP Fuel Boss, SmartyJr#2, Bilsteins, Lil'Rocker, Prodigy, Tireminder, Garmin, SoundflySD.
2012 COUGAR 280BHSWE, GY Endurance, PI EMS, Wave3, Glow Steps, EU2000i on propane, EasyStart 364, Wally-Playmaker

ret-miner
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the same boat what we did was sandwich 6 2by 10by 1 foot long all screwed together and faced it with 3/4 in plywood for the leg to go on the 2in sides that gave me a 12 by 12 landing put a rope stapled so to make it easier to grab and left my landing legs down a little this way we put the blocks under the legs and wind it down works perfect , we only have a 24ft wheel

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
dpgllg wrote:
I want to add something to my landing jack pads to help me raise them without having to bend to much or get on the ground. This is to raise them into the travel position after I am hooked to my truck. I already have the snap pins installed but looking to modify somehow to make it easier to complete the process. I am now disabled and need to make some changes in order to keep enjoying the RV.

I did do several searches here on the forum and was not able to locate anything. Maybe I'm using the wrong search words.

Nay help is appreciated!

Dave

You could put a ring of some sort on the foot pad and use 2 hooks, one to pull the snap pin and the other to pull up the leg.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A