cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help shopping for new fiver

guinness1
Explorer
Explorer
I am in need of some assistance. I am shopping for a new fiver. Ideally I would like to keep the overall length somewhere between 25-34 feet. I do not want bunks. Weight is not an issue, would prefer high quality versus lightweight. The wife and I went to an RV show this past weekend and saw a lot of trailers, they were either lightweight versions or big 40+’ . I am replacing a 38’ Coachmen Chaparral front bunkhouse, it has has served us well, but now that the kids are grown, looking to downsize a bit. Thx
2012 Coachmen Chaparral 330FBH
(2021 GD Reflection 337RLS coming soon)

(2021 Sierra 3500HD DMax SRW LB - on order)
25 REPLIES 25

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
guinness1 wrote:
thank you to all who have replied. I have a lot of research to do this winter. I have another question to ask to any of you that might still follow this post....I was camping this past weekend and saw a Jayco Eagle fiver in the campground...any thoughts or opinions on Jayco?

Jayco Eagle HT was on my short list, the main limiting factors were, #1 small holding tanks, especially the black tank, since we do at least one major boondocker a year and some of the parks we're eyeing don't have sewer dumps at the sites. (And I =really= don't want to have to deal with a blue tote!) #2 was less CCC than the KZ we ended up with. On the specific model Jayco I was looking at, when DW saw it, first question was "where's the pantry?" DOH! Missed that one, for sure! :B Was never able to find the similar KZ model that was my #1 choice to compare, so ended up with a year-end close-out model that =she= likes and was just too good to pass up. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

lcseds
Explorer
Explorer
Arctic Fox 27-5L was on our list. But at 13' 3" it was tall. I called Northwood and they said add 4-6" more for a front AC. That made it too tall for me. I pass under a few 13' 9" overpasses weekly on the Interstate. I don't want to hold my breath when passing under one of these so I am looking at the GD at 13' 5" supposedly with front AC and the Vanleigh Vilano at 12' 11".

justme
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of good advice so far. Ignore the glitz and glamor and pay attention to engineering and quality. Also, watch out for "brand loyalists" for advice. Research and more research is required. Also RV's are essentially hand built and therefore no two are the same while quality control is not standardized. I am not aware of any mfg that has either applied for or meets ISO standards.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have also been looking at that model.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
The OP is in Michigan (according to their profile glimpse). It shouldn't be hard to find the Grand Design you're looking for, even it means making a trip to Indiana to see the factory.

When we were shopping for a new 5er, everyone kept saying Artic Fox/Northwood. The problem for us in FL is that there is nowhere close that sells them. Couldn't even find a decent used one to look at that fit our needs. I think that folks should always note the limited availability (and limited access to factory service/support) when recommending this brand. And BTW, I'm sure they make a really nice rig...
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Gordon_R
Explorer
Explorer
guinness1 wrote:
Update: my short list now includes a Grand Design Reflection 29RS.....just have to find one locally to see in person

We were very much in the same boat as you. After a great deal of searching and evaluating, we chose Arctic Fox 27-5L. It had everything we wanted and was not so overlarge that we would have difficulty getting into smaller spots. That, and it was well built.

We only had a very short list of items that needed attention when we took it out for shakedown. It is a very solid build.
GORDON & LORI
U.S. Coast Guard Chief (Retired)

2016 Ford Crew Cab Lariat F-350) w/6.7 Diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Semper Paratus

guinness1
Explorer
Explorer
Update: my short list now includes a Grand Design Reflection 29RS.....just have to find one locally to see in person

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice to see that you are not rushing into buying the first shiny thing you see.

Selecting a model is actually quite easy once you set the parameters & stick to them.

What is the primary use? Long period travelling for 2 i.e. needing a rolling condo or something for family & short trips?

State parks & such where often there are size issues to deal with or Camp Pack Em In privates which always have space at the cost of a good camping experience?

Looking to do some made for RV events like bluegrass festivals, the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, Oskosh Air Adventure etc. where dry camping is a must & large water capacity for more than a couple of days is needed.

Buy a lower quality unit new & put up with all the new unit issues or spend same money for a used higher quality unit with any bugs worked out of it?

Once these basic questions are answered it is time to go look at floorplans. If just for the 2 of you & long trips you will need a decent sized galley with working room & a large fridge & pantry. A big priority, way over how many TVs it has & what the colour of the fabric is.

Once the questions are answered you should be down to just a few models. The hunt is on. Don't be afraid to travel for the right unit. JMO, but the dealer is not that important. Stuff goes wrong when you are far from home & far from the dealer.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
guinness1 wrote:
thank you to all who have replied. I have a lot of research to do this winter. I have another question to ask to any of you that might still follow this post....I was camping this past weekend and saw a Jayco Eagle fiver in the campground...any thoughts or opinions on Jayco?
Jayco Eagle was on our short list - until we went into one and compared it to the GD 303RLS at the same show.

You really have to go into the units your interested in and make a decision.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

guinness1
Explorer
Explorer

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just picked up a Starcraft Telluride 292RLS, under 32 ft length. Starcraft is part of Jayco, built in the same factory. Quality of workmanship, fit and finish is better than any previous units I have owned and equal to or better than many higher end units as well. The Telluride line is new and loaded with features. Quiet Zone ducted return A/C that really is quieter. Two pantries with motion sensing lights plus a coat closet. Solid surface countertop, fireplace, sofa makes into a king bed, normal size queen bed up front. The wardrobe slide has a window for cross ventilation, 9 drawer dresser with plenty of counter area. I'm 5-10" and have full headroom anywhere in the bedroom. 50 amp service and wired for 2nd A/C, two electric awnings.

It is a light unit since all walls and both floors are vacuum laminated and minimal aluminum framing is used, because it isn't needed. Also means it is better insulated. Even the outside speakers are mounted on the awning arms rather than 4" holes in the walls. Price was less than my last two units and certainly a better value. Only limitation is the CCC is low.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
Cedar Creek makes a couple of Silverback models that are in the length you are looking for. We have a Cedar Creek 30RL but they no longer make that model.

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
We also have an ORV fiver. After a year of research both Northwoods and ORV had the best build quality and great foundation without astronomical pricing. They are not the cheapest nor the lightest. Good luck in your search.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
arctic Fox by Northwood, 27 to 29 ft rear kitchen or livingroom.