cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with hitch decision

bertschb
Explorer
Explorer
I just ordered a new Grand Design Reflection 318RST 5th wheel (GVWR 13,995) and plan to buy a 2016 GMC 3500 Duramax truck next. The truck has a 6.5' bed.

I've spent a week reading up on hitches on multiple forums and I've narrowed my choice of hitches to the B&W Companion and Trailer Saver BD3 Air-Ride.

My needs:
I want the hitch to be completely removed from the bed when not in use (nothing at all showing).
It has to be something I can lift out myself without a hoist.
It needs to provide a smooth ride that protects the truck and 5th wheel.

Is there a factory under bed hitch mount option I should order with my truck that will make installing the hitch easier or can I get everything I need from the hitch manufacturers? I guess I'll throw in one more question while I'm at it...Can I get the best of both worlds by replacing the pin box on the 5th wheel with a Trail-Air and then getting the B&W Companion which appears to be lighter for removing from the bed?

Kind of overwhelmed with all the options available. Money is no object which helps. Any help would be appreciated!
50 REPLIES 50

bertschb
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think so. What do I get with that? I do know there is a $35 option that adds a 7 pin wiring harness. I will get that.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
But I think you still want the GM factory 5th wheel prep kit. Right ??

bertschb
Explorer
Explorer
So I called Hensley and got the scoop. They recommended buying a Pull Rite ISR Super Rail. Once that is installed on the truck, you just drop the BD3 in and you're done. Even if GMC had the rail system available from the factory (which it won't be until next year), I'd need an adapter from Hensley to make it work. Rather than getting three pieces of hardware to make this work, I'm just going to get the Super Rail system and the BD3 hitch. Not cheap by any means but we don't want to do this twice and I want the ride to be as good as we can get for my wife. If the chucking is annoying, I'll add the MorRyde to the pin box later.

Thank you all for the great replies. I appreciate your help!

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a F350 with the factory '5th wheel prep kit'. The factory drills the holes in the bed and also adds an additional electrical plug-in inside the bed near the tailgate, making it real easy to plug in the fiver cord. I assume GM also has the prep kit option. You should absolutely get this. Why would you not ? If you don't then some other shop will be drilling the holes in the bed. Who would you rather have do this job ??

I have a MorRyde pin box and a BD3 hitch. I absolutely love this combo. The BD3 pretty much eliminates the up and down motion that goes on between the fiver and the truck and the pin box gets rid of all the chucking back and forth motion. I can look in my rear view mirror and watch the pinbox 'jiggling' which means it's absorbing all the little road bumps, etc. When you hit a major bump, the air bags in the hitch do their thing. And note that the air pressure is adjustible so you can get the ride you want. I really do not find any negatives with this setup.

You actually will have 3 components from Hensley if you get the BD3 for the factory prep kit. Their will be an adaptor that attaches into the bed 'pucks' and then the BD3 is in two pieces. It is not light because we're talking serious metal here but 1 person can take it apart and move it. Call Hensley for the individual component weights.

I full time (pulling a 14k GVW fiver) and have been using this system for 2 years now and am completely satisfied. I would not change to anything else.

I do know that the B&W hitch has a great reputation and many satisfied customers too.

Tim

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Andersen Ultimate with which ever gooseneck ball you want.
Andersen has a much better base system to me than B%W .I believe it distributes the weight on the bed way better than B&W,its not a bad hitch but some here have said a B&W will dent the bed floor.Plus it doesn't weigh anywhere near a B&W

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
And another vote for the Andersen. I can lift and carry my rail mount with one hand.

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the Andersen Ultimate Hitch (either Aluminum or Steel). The simplicity is ridiculous and its everything they say it is.

Dumoldles wrote:
I just reinstalled my Anderson hitch and it took me less then 5 min, I did it all by myself with no complications. This set up is terrific. Easy to install and take down leaving a freed up bed.

Dumboldles

You can do it in about 2 minutes if you didn't have to fetch a wrench 😉
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
I remove my B&W RVK3270 manual slider and Demco 6099 picture frame as a single unit from the RAM pucks with just my thumb and a HF hoist! Chris

Showoff! :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Dumoldles
Explorer
Explorer
I just reinstalled my Anderson hitch and it took me less then 5 min, I did it all by myself with no complications. This set up is terrific. Easy to install and take down leaving a freed up bed.

Dumboldles

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
My old BD3 split into two pieces making it fairly easy to remove without mechanical assistance.

If you have the factory installed mounting system TS has an adapter that will fit.
Larry

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
The geometry of the Reese goosebox is no different than any other gooseneck adapter. So, why does Lippert approve it? HERE'S a clue.....

Caveat emptor.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

face_down
Explorer
Explorer
bertschb wrote:

My needs:
I want the hitch to be completely removed from the bed when not in use (nothing at all showing).

If Grand Design's have Lippert frames and give the a-ok....Reese Goosebox:

2016 Keystone Carbon 357
2006 Ford F350 4X4 CC/LB/DRW (aka Big Sexy)
Reese 20K Goose Box - Draw-Tite Remove-a-Ball

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I remove my B&W RVK3270 manual slider and Demco 6099 picture frame as a single unit from the RAM pucks with just my thumb and a HF hoist! Chris

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
bertschb wrote:
. My needs:
It needs to provide a smooth ride that protects the truck and 5th wheel

Check out the "Andersen Ultimate Aluminum Fifth Wheel Hitch". It will attach to your trucks underbed flip gooseball. Removal means lifting a light weight 32# attachment. All the other 5er hitches weigh hundreds of pounds. I have used mine to tow over 10000 miles and it is everything you describe as wanting.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
bertschb wrote:
I just ordered a new Grand Design Reflection 318RST 5th wheel (GVWR 13,995) and plan to buy a 2016 GMC 3500 Duramax truck next. The truck has a 6.5' bed.

I've spent a week reading up on hitches on multiple forums and I've narrowed my choice of hitches to the B&W Companion and Trailer Saver BD3 Air-Ride.

My needs:

Is there a factory under bed hitch mount option I should order with my truck that will make installing the hitch easier or can I get everything I need from the hitch manufacturers? I guess I'll throw in one more question while I'm at it...Can I get the best of both worlds by replacing the pin box on the 5th wheel with a Trail-Air and then getting the B&W Companion which appears to be lighter for removing from the bed?

Kind of overwhelmed with all the options available. Money is no object which helps. Any help would be appreciated!

I'm a B&W "fanboy", according to some, and have no hesitation on recommending them. You can get a factory-prep for a FW hitch on the GM, which leaves you with a clean bed when it's removed without the necessity of adding the Turnover Ball GN hitch to secure the Companion. I use both the GN and FW hitches and love the clean bed when not in use.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member