cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Honda generator noise mitigation

Espee
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Honda 2000 generator that I am experimenting with while operating it in the front compartment of the FW (adjacent to battery box).

Looking for ideas how to keep it from transferring vibration to the thin sheet metal compartment bottom. Maybe a 1/4" or thicker plate steel base would help? I put it on a 1/2" cushioned floor tile with a piece of carpet on top, but would like a little better isolation... Ideas?

FWIW:
It is easy to start by leaning it over a bit (so pull start clears the lower lip of compartment).
I can use a one gallon fuel can to transfer fuel onboard fairly easily.
I am looking into an exhaust flex extension to make sure co2 goes outside, even though the plan is to run it with the compartment door held open.
Anyone else had experience with a similar configuration?
2007 Ram 2500, 4X4, 6.7
06' Cougar 285EFS
38 REPLIES 38

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
Don't run it in your compartment. You will die !
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

BiggestRon
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
300 watts solar would go a long way to keep the Honda quiet 😉

I agree....Much quieter.
Ron and Sue

If Wisdom is a virtue of old age then gravity is its vice.

Desist from numerically calculating fowls which have failed to fully realized their proper incubation period.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
The propane fireplace in my house has no vent to the outside and certainly meets code because I checked when we moved in.
I probably would have vented it out the side but I see no problem with the way it is.

You're talking about a vent-less appliance that has an oxygen depletion sensor and has been UL tested and approved. Installing a generator that burns fuel at a MUCH higher rate in a confined space with limited fresh air supply is an entirely different setup. And that's just the beginning of all the things wrong. Over-sized vent material, improper downward slope, does it just discharge under the trailer?

With all the threads that get shut down here for no reason I'm surprised things like this are allowed to flow so freely. Every other trade board I frequent would have that picture deleted in an instant.

fivernoob
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a chemist. I too would err on the side of caution whenever CO (carbon monoxide) is involved. That is, bolt the genny in the pick-up and let it vent out to the great outdoors.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
The propane fireplace in my house has no vent to the outside and certainly meets code because I checked when we moved in.
I probably would have vented it out the side but I see no problem with the way it is.
Puma 30RKSS

Espee
Explorer
Explorer
That is a real nice set-up.
Thanks for braving the nay-sayers! I don't understand how they could even be satisfied with a factory built installation... even then I would still maintain a carbon monoxide sensor / meter. I digress.
You have already implemented my idea of using stock metal to sit the feet on, so it must be worth following through with on my project. So maybe no need for further sound deadening and rubber isolation...
Thanks for posting!
2007 Ram 2500, 4X4, 6.7
06' Cougar 285EFS

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Bessie-Hunter wrote:

Espee, this is my setup. The lp conversion kit came from USCarb and the exhaust-cooling air collector from Ebay.

Having worked with gas appliances and venting for 17 years I may be a bit more cautious than your average person. And please don't take this the wrong way but that SCARES THE HELL OUT OF ME.

Any engineer, manufacturer's rep or inspector would red tag that setup before he or she was within 30 feet of your trailer. PLEASE don't end up a statistic. Read your owner's manual!!!!!

The really scary thing is you probably have a wife or kids trusting you to keep them safe.

Bessie-Hunter
Explorer
Explorer

Espee, this is my setup. The lp conversion kit came from USCarb and the exhaust-cooling air collector from Ebay.

Espee
Explorer
Explorer
ok got the exhaust issue resolved so no worries and thanks for your concern.

Also thanks to those with the noise abatement suggestions.
Any further suggestions regarding that topic would be appreciated.
Have nice day.
2007 Ram 2500, 4X4, 6.7
06' Cougar 285EFS

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Watch an exhaust extension. It can create a back pressure or even a reverse flow pulse that will damage the Honda engine.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
A portable genny user here too. No way I'd run it inside the 5er, don't care how the exhaust is run. Easy enough to run it outside & lock it to a trailer leg so that it cannot walk away.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
Be calm people. OP said he was getting an exhaust extension, which I agree is critical.

Yeah, OP also called it "co2" so he is confusing the bubbles from his beer with the potentially fatal exhaust that comes from the generator so let's not make any assumptions.

Between 2005 and 2015, 711 people died from portable generator use and I bet not a single one thought they were doing anything wrong.

https://www.cpsc.gov/s3fs-public/Generators%20and%20OEDT%20Fatalities%202005-2015.pdf

I know everybody likes to think they know best and doesn't want to be told what to do. I push limits with many things in the world but gas engine exhaust is nothing to play with. I'd NEVER put a generator inside a 5th wheel storage compartment. I don't care what kind of extender pipe I have. It's just not worth it. Tie it to the truck and take a couple extra steps. Thank god while you are talking them.

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
Be calm people. OP said he was getting an exhaust extension, which I agree is critical.

I would cut a piece of plywood and put the foam underneath and the generator on top of the plywood. The foam is going to disintegrate if any gas/oil gets on it.

I quote..............." I am looking into some flex pipe for exhaust extension "..................

He didn't say he was changing it or fixing it -----he said he was looking into it---- lots of people do things while they're looking into other things:S

Get some RUBBER CUSHON FEET............My 3000 is bolted with Isolated rubber mounts...

Ristractor..........Those are built-in generators like Onan and things along that line

the exhaust is plumbed completely separate by the manufacturer out away from the RV okay

he's talking about putting a Honda 2000 in a compartment there is not a readily available exhaust plumbing system for that generator ---you have to make something up and even then how do you know you wouldn't get some leakage??????

Couple years ago here not far from me they had a couple people that they found dead in a tent with a generator outside of the tent out of gas ---so yeah even outside isn't necessarily going to always protect you.
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Lots of RVs have installed generators with no CO issues. I just looked and there are commercially available extensions available so it should work. But having a working CO detector is critical. All RVs should have them anyway with the presence of LPG appliances.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3