cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda Generator

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Can someone explain how the Honda generators work? As I understand it one generator will let us operate smaller electrical appliances, but if we want to operate larger appliances like A/C we need two units. Those two units are different from each other as I think. Do you know the exact model numbers etc. and what can be done with one generator and what can be done with two?
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
26 REPLIES 26

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
ACZL wrote:
Doesn't Yamaha make/sell genny's as well?

Yes they cost slightly more than Honda's last time I looked, they are excellent quality but very pricey. I suspect Honda and Yamaha will have to drop their prices sooner or later.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
My Champion 2000 watt invertor generator starts and runs my 15K a/c unit.....
cpaulsen

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't Yamaha make/sell genny's as well?
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
In our group that boondocks together, one of them bought two of the older Champion inverter "box style" stackable inverter generators. The two of them wouldn't start his AC. I was hoping they would have worked out because I liked them. They have since switched to the Predator, and so far it is working our very well.

Most of the time, we only need or use one of our dual Honda 2000s, which are cheaper and can provide more power than a 3000 watt Honda.

So far, there are two of us out of five that bought dual Honda EU2000i generators, and we got told they were too expensive, but they have spent more overall because theirs either don't last or don't do what they wanted, and use more gas.

All of that being said, it really depends on how you use them, and what your needs really are, vs. what you think they might be. Don't be one that spends a bunch of money on a nice camper and tow vehicle then cheaps out and buys a noisy generator. None of the generators in our group are what I would consider loud, they just might not be as quiet as the Hondas.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice find on the Westinghouse generator.

Reviews on HD site and the Westinghouse site read very favorable.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Preditor 3500 Watt generator

Harbor Freight has their 3500 watt on sale this weekend for $699.

Moderator edit to make clickable link.

2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
save yourself some money. Buy a pair of Champion 100565.

OR

These are still pretty new and don't have a lot of history behind them, but a single unit should run most RV air conditioners. Westinghouse iGen2500

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Well, this is interesting Honda has a nationwide hold on the EU2200i. They can't be sold. No one seems to know why. Also, a EU2200i can't be companioned with a EU2000iat and vice-versa.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Youtube: parallel Hondas
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
IN general, an AC unit will require 2200-2500 watts to start.
The small inverter generators are capable of starting some AC units. The size of the AC, 11,000 13,500, or 15,000 makes a difference in whether a small generator can run the unit.
Starting an AC requires a larger amount of power for just a couple of seconds to get the compressor moving which further complicates the startup of the AC.

Champion, Honda, and most other brands of inverter generators can generally be paired to allow both units to help run the system.
In some cases the generators have to be a specific model to allow pairing, while some brands dont. Any small genny being paired does require a wiring kit to merge the power from the two units.

The other option is to run a single larger generator. Models with 2800 to 3400 watt ratings will generally run any sized RV AC unit with few exceptions. These larger units will usually weigh around 100 lbs, while the small 2000-2200 watt models weigh around 55 lbs.

Noise is also a major factor, and some purist in here will scream that a specific brand is quieter, or less obnoxious, but most inverter models are enclosed and fairly quiet, personally I think the little 2000 watt model running near wide open, due to their smaller size are more annoying than the larger unit running at only half throttle, but thats me.

Read some reviews, watch some youtube video reviews and take your best shot at what works for you.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I think the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. Unless carrying weight is the major issue, I don't understand why one wouldn't buy 1, larger generator as it would/should be cheaper.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
The small generator you are talking about is the 2200, usually it will not operate an a/c by itself. You can buy another 2200 and link it to the first one and get enough power to run an a/c. Make sure you get the right models that can be connected.

Amazon

However I suggest you look at Champion 2000 watt inverter gens which are a third as expensive and can be linked too.

Amazon

The Champion gens have a good reputation here and excellent if slow local support.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper