cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot water bypass leak

BigDogF250
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone removed the hot water bypass from their trailer? I'm not really even sure what it's there for (other than another place to spring a leak). One of the fittings on it started to leak, I think it's the plastic threaded portion that goes into the brass bypass.

It's not easy to reach and I didn't want to troubleshoot extensively while vacationing (other than to capture the leak in a bowl). Just wondering, keep it or cut it out completely?
Don't take life too seriously, it's not permanent.
06 Weekend Warrior FSC3200, Axles flipped, Bridgestone Duravis Tires
2005 Ford F250 PSD 4x4
07 Yamaha YZF450 White/Silver, 94 Husqvarna WXC610
2008 Polaris RZR 800, 2011 Honda CBR1000RR & one Goffin Cockatoo
4 REPLIES 4

BigDogF250
Explorer
Explorer
OK, thanks for the info and the suggestion for checking the big box stores for parts. I will tear it apart this weekend and fix it.
Don't take life too seriously, it's not permanent.
06 Weekend Warrior FSC3200, Axles flipped, Bridgestone Duravis Tires
2005 Ford F250 PSD 4x4
07 Yamaha YZF450 White/Silver, 94 Husqvarna WXC610
2008 Polaris RZR 800, 2011 Honda CBR1000RR & one Goffin Cockatoo

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The older trailers may be using a three valve setup like shown here in this google image...

LOWES is a good place to find those type of water connections... You might be able to remove the dripping hose and take it to lowes and they can fix you up with a new one...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
Do you mean the pipe with the ball valve in it that shuts off the flow of fresh water to the hot water tank..?

If thats what you're talking about, it helps when filling up your 150 gallons fresh water tanks, you don't have to fill the hot water tank before the water pump will immediately circulate fresh cold water when there is only a few gallons in the tank. Other wise, before the water pump will circulate water, the hot water tank must be filled by the pump first. This takes a good 5-10 minutes or so if you have a 10 gallon hot water tank.

I've used it before, but usually just let the rv water pump run when filling the tanks. I'm in no rush and with the hot water tank full, that gives me 160 gallons of fresh water. I also leave the hot faucet open to help bleed air out of the hot water tank while filling with pump on.

Don't think I'd remove it. Might be good to have it in some situations so as to be able to isolate the hot water tank.
Probably be harder to remove it then fix your leak..?
2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
The 'bypass' line and valve are there as a means of bypassing water heater when winterizing rig and pumping anti-freeze thru hot/cold system without anti-freeze filling water heater.

TO winterize cold inlet is closed, bypass is opened and hot outlet is isolated via a check valve in outlet nipple or a shut-off valve closed (check valve being cheapest/easiest/most common vs a shut off valve)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31