cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot water problem

ipeltier
Explorer
Explorer
The hot water runs out very quickly on our 2016 Jayco 5th wheel. The dealer replaced the thermostat and it worked fine for a few days and now is cooling off quickly again. If course now we are travelling away from home, so canโ€™t return it to the dealer. Any other possibilities?
11 REPLIES 11

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
ipeltier wrote:
Sorry for the delay. We were on the road. The water heater is an Atwood GC6AA -10E, 6 gallons.

OK.....
Electric & Propane use the SAME t-stat for temp control ---opens at 140*F

Electric is the SLOWEST for recovery....6 gal/hr from initial fill temp
Propane is faster recovery.....10 gal/hr
BOTH at same time....fastest 16 gal/hr

When was last time you drained/flushed WH Tank?
How hard is the water...calcium/scale can build up on element and impede heat transfer.

How does it heat/recover using propane?

Have you checked/verified the 'bypass valve' is not open/leaking thru?
(connects Cold water to Hot water on backside of water heater...leaking thru will dilute the Hot)

Also need to collect straight hot water via closest faucet in a glass and measure the temp right after heating cycle is done.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ipeltier
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the delay. We were on the road. The water heater is an Atwood GC6AA -10E, 6 gallons.

wiredgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
Seriously, if you really need help, OPEN THE OUTSIDE DOOR ON THE WATER HEATER and get make/model and perhaps something intelligent can be said. I know Suburban hot water heats and they have a electric heating element which operates via a thermostat on the outside and they also work MUCH better using propane as the first fuel source. The electric heating element alone would take forever to heat the water and then doesn't replenish quickly at all.
wiredgeorge Mico TX
2006 F350 2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith trike

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
ipeltier wrote:
Some answers to your questions. The water heating system worked fine for 1 1/2 yearsโ€”enough for two showers. When the problem started, the dealer replaced the thermostat. It worked well for three days; today there was enough hot water for a short shower only. Husband checked the outside shower, which is turned off. We have been using electric.

Brand/Model????

ipeltier
Explorer
Explorer
Some answers to your questions. The water heating system worked fine for 1 1/2 yearsโ€”enough for two showers. When the problem started, the dealer replaced the thermostat. It worked well for three days; today there was enough hot water for a short shower only. Husband checked the outside shower, which is turned off. We have been using electric.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
IB853347201 wrote:
Is it possible that your winter bypass valve on the back of your water heater us not fully closed? That would definately cause cokd water syptom you mention.

Or, like I had happen- someone used the outdoor hose with a spray nozzle with hot and cold water on. When the water wasn't turned off, hot and cold mixed giving lukewarm water in the shower. Fortunately we figured it out pretty quick (and even learned that I was to blame for leaving them on... ahem).
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Is it possible that your winter bypass valve on the back of your water heater us not fully closed? That would definately cause cokd water syptom you mention.
2010 Suncruiser

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Brand/Model of water heater for specific response

Shower(s) not being turned off via knobs....
Water heater bypass still open
Mixing valve clogging up
T-stat wire connections loose
Bad circuit bd

Lots of possibilities.....generic answers

1) Brand/Model
2) Does it turn back on when water cools down
3) DO you leave water running or turn on/off

More info would help

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use gas.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bob_Sue
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also if you have an outdoor shower, make sure the valves are both closed. If they are open, the water mixes with the cold, resulting in warm not hot water.
Bob&Sue
2021 Cedar Creek 34IK
2011 Ford F-250
6.7 litre PSD
Pullrite Superglide

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brand? How big of tank? Showers or just washing dishes?
Its very possible you only have 6 or maybe 10 gallons of hot water. Whis is your expectations?
You could try, turn off and drain HW tank. Then refil. Are you using both gas and electric?