cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you replace all the tires on a 5th wheel?

Retired_nuke_ET
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to replace all the tires on my 5th wheel. While looking at the numerous posts here on trailer tires, one thing I didn't see and began to wonder is, where do you go to or how do you get the tires replaced? If I take my truck or car to a tire merchant, they put it up on the lift and pull off the wheels. I don't see that happening with my trailer for 1) I don't think it will fit in their shop due to height and/or length issues and 2) even if it did fit, I don't think I would trust them to lift it without damaging the frame or axles.

Do I need to take it to an RV shop? There are a few tire merchants within easy driving distance I guess I could take them off in the driveway one at a time and run them up and back individually.
24 REPLIES 24

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
I'm still wondering how you change that 5th wheel?? And just why is it a 5th wheel. Inquiring minds need to know.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I take mine to my local tire dealer and they change them.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
I went by a local "Tire Shop" the other day and saw a 5th wheel in the parking lot getting at least one new tire. It had a floor jack under the axle about 2' inside the spring mount. I made mental note not to buy trailer tires there.

When I got ready my son brought over 2 ramps made from crossties. Put them in back of the back tires and backed up. Front two tires off the ground, removed and drove in for replacement. Returned home and mounted them and moved the ramps to the front of the front tires. Pulled up and back two off the ground. Repeated. We checked the wheel bearings and brakes while in the air. This was with the Trail Air suspension and had no problems with ground clearance. Very easy and simple except for the 12mi trip into town. An air wrench helps.

I kept the 2 best tires for emergency use. If I have a mountable spare in the bed of the truck in addition the the regular spare it scares Murphy away. He hates people who are prepared. Realize though this is for a month long trip next month, not our usual less than 200 mi runs. For them I'll take my chances.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
1. Don't forget to have the bearings packed. I do it once a year.
2. In calif. you call and drive your trailer to a Les Schwab dealer. Done deal:) I suspect you could call any truck shop.

Chuck_Gail
Explorer
Explorer
I use Lynx leveler blocks to build ramps under both tires on one axle. Loosen lug nuts on other axles tires, pull up on ramps, remove two tires (one on each side). Take tires to shop for replacement. Upon return, grease wheel bearings, check brake parts, and then put new tires on TT. I then repeat for second set the following day. Note this requires TWO vehicles, as I leave TV and TT attached to do this.

I do the axle with the best old tire last, as that becomes my new spare.
Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded

Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories

I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

sele
Explorer
Explorer
I jack up one side one axle at a time and use jack stands under the axles while I remove tires and go to the tire shop and have new tires mounted. It takes a couple of trips but it works for me at my lesiure.
scott

therink
Explorer
Explorer
Most tire shops can accommodate trailers. Like mentioned, call ahead of time and let them know exactly what you have and the weight. I stayed with mine when I had last set replaced because I wanted to do the jacking. They had no problem with that. Do your research on tires. Don't settle for the Chinese brand that they tell you they carry. Go with what is recommended on this forum.
Good luck.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tire Kingdom had me spot it in the parking lot next to the building where the tire monkey jacked up one wheel at a time, changed and balanced that one, replaced it and went on to the next one. He used a floor jack under the frame just ahead of or behind the spring shackles and an air impact wrench (except for the final torque wrench sequence on each wheel).

Took a little over an hour for all 4. I tipped the kid $20 for the extra effort.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Replacing your fifth wheel tires is the same as replacing your TT tires. Any tire shop can do it for you. Call ahead, tell them what you need, they will probably make arrangements to bring it in early and leave your TV attached or back it in a spot where they can change out the tires carefully. Camping World can do it though same as any RV shop that sells tires.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
They use a jack to lift one side then the other. AFAIK RV shops do not do tires.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman