cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you replace all the tires on a 5th wheel?

Retired_nuke_ET
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to replace all the tires on my 5th wheel. While looking at the numerous posts here on trailer tires, one thing I didn't see and began to wonder is, where do you go to or how do you get the tires replaced? If I take my truck or car to a tire merchant, they put it up on the lift and pull off the wheels. I don't see that happening with my trailer for 1) I don't think it will fit in their shop due to height and/or length issues and 2) even if it did fit, I don't think I would trust them to lift it without damaging the frame or axles.

Do I need to take it to an RV shop? There are a few tire merchants within easy driving distance I guess I could take them off in the driveway one at a time and run them up and back individually.
24 REPLIES 24

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
NHIrish wrote:
I would suggest not pulling one tire onto ramps to take off the other same side tire. This overloads the one tire that now carries all of the weight of that side of the trailer, possibly causing damage. Tires are rated for only so much weight, and trailer tires are usually close to the max already...to virtually double the weight isn't a good idea.

Jack up one side, then the other. Don't use the axle tube for jacking.

The poster who commented about tire dealers jacking incorrectly is dead on. My experience has been that most tire dealers have no idea about jacking a trailer.

There is an overload on the one set of tires but not enough to worry about since it's a static load (not moving) and very temporary.

In my case the axle weight(both) is 7800 lbs (traveling weight not unloaded at home as this was). The tires are rated 3580 ea. for 7160(one axle). I would worry more about the 5200lb axle but as I said sitting still and not moving makes a big difference.

My axles are already flipped so jacking on the spring hanger is out and I'm not jacking on the ubolts.

This is my way of working with my trailer and weights and put out for food for thought only.

YMMV
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

FOREVER_FREE
Explorer
Explorer
I took our former 5vr to a tire dealer but wasn't thrilled to see that they jacked it up completely on one side in order to change both tires at the same time. At the same time they were changing the brakes which I supplied to them so it was up that way for quite a while. We just changed tires on our present one and even though we used the same shop we jacked up on tire at a time and took it to the shop to be replaced. The shop is 7 miles from our home so it wasn't a big inconvenience but the peace of mind was worth it. Brakes looked good so didn't bother with them. Either way you decide to do it you should be present during the jacking process to insure they do it correctly. When the guy started to jack up the former one he placed his jacks under the axle. I immediately stopped him and had the move them under the U-bolt and springs. Could have been a disaster if he had bent an axle. He had never worked on a trailer that large before so it was a learning experience for him and he thanked me for my info. Good luck to you and happy RV'ing.
"BIG BOB" & DIANE:
Sarah (Greyhound), Cooper & Cocoa (Italian Greyhounds) 2005 Prowler Regal AX6 365BSQS
2005 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4, DRW, 8'bed, 6.0 P/S Diesel,
Veterans, the reason we will always be "FOREVER FREE".
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
I just drive over to my favorite tire shop and say put on 5 new tires. Call me when you done
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

cherrykiss3
Explorer
Explorer
I took mine to a local tire shop in TX.

Cherry

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Retired_nuke_ET wrote:
I'm looking to replace all the tires on my 5th wheel. While looking at the numerous posts here on trailer tires, one thing I didn't see and began to wonder is, where do you go to or how do you get the tires replaced? If I take my truck or car to a tire merchant, they put it up on the lift and pull off the wheels. I don't see that happening with my trailer for 1) I don't think it will fit in their shop due to height and/or length issues and 2) even if it did fit, I don't think I would trust them to lift it without damaging the frame or axles.

Do I need to take it to an RV shop? There are a few tire merchants within easy driving distance I guess I could take them off in the driveway one at a time and run them up and back individually.

Discount Tire have done 2 sets for me. Came out with 2 HD floor jacks, put them under the spring perch of each axle, jacked that side up, swapped the tires, balanced the new ones, put 'em back on the FW, torqued the nuts and went to the other side and repeated the process. Pretty simple.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
For the most part, Les Scwab has done me right for bearing re-pack and TV tire issues. However, my last visit I got the guy that must have been his first day. When he rotated my dually tires he mis-aligned the stems so I couldn't put air in my tires. On the boat trailer bearing repack, he put too long of cotter pins in that over heated my bearing buddies which ultimately blew a seal. I'll be more thorough in my review before driving away next time.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the tire locations we've seen don't have the space for long trailers. We figured we'd need to use a tire center that does 18-wheelers when we bought our 38'.

But since we ordered our unit with 6-point leveling, DH pushed a few buttons, took off the old wheels, drove to the lowest bidder and they put the new tires on the rims. Then he drove back to the RV Park and reinstalled one at a time. Pumped them up and we were set.

He just checked the pressure yesterday and they have maintained the same pressure for 10 mos. Perfect!
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
Just to complicate the issue, the Tire Dealer should be able to do a "lugcentric" balance if you have alloy wheels (the wheels are attached to the machine by lug nuts instead of the center cone). Typically the alloy wheels are not necessary centered on the hub, therefore "hubcentric" may be a false balance.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
I put the spare on and leave one on the jack. Take the two down and replace. Repeat for other pair, done. Yes I jack on the axle U-bolt to lift it one inch.

I also supply my own stems and insist on lug centric balance.

X2---- I always have metal stems put in the rims. They have less air loss and you don't have to worry about rubber rot occuring on the air stems.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:
1. Don't forget to have the bearings packed. I do it once a year.
2. In calif. you call and drive your trailer to a Les Schwab dealer. Done deal:) I suspect you could call any truck shop.

That's where we've had our TT done - Les Schwab. Not time yet for our fifth wheel to get new tires.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I went by a local "Tire Shop" the other day and saw a 5th wheel in the parking lot getting at least one new tire. It had a floor jack under the axle about 2' inside the spring mount. I made mental note not to buy trailer tires there

I'm just the opposite.
Having operated a five trailer business on the road for several years those are the shops I looked for just to change a single tire.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest not pulling one tire onto ramps to take off the other same side tire. This overloads the one tire that now carries all of the weight of that side of the trailer, possibly causing damage. Tires are rated for only so much weight, and trailer tires are usually close to the max already...to virtually double the weight isn't a good idea.

Jack up one side, then the other. Don't use the axle tube for jacking.

The poster who commented about tire dealers jacking incorrectly is dead on. My experience has been that most tire dealers have no idea about jacking a trailer.
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
YC 1 wrote:
I'm still wondering how you change that 5th wheel?? And just why is it a 5th wheel. Inquiring minds need to know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_wheel_coupling

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I put the spare on and leave one on the jack. Take the two down and replace. Repeat for other pair, done. Yes I jack on the axle U-bolt to lift it one inch.

I also supply my own stems and insist on lug centric balance.