cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you wax the front cap of your Fifth Wheel?

K_sKamper
Explorer
Explorer
Having a problem reaching all the areas of the front cap to rub out and wax. Any easy way?
24 REPLIES 24

Hvyhauler
Explorer
Explorer
I use an 8 foot step ladder,since the front cap is faded/oxidized I use a low speed electric automotive buffer.I apply fiberglass/marine cleaner wax and then change pads and buff it to somewhat of a shine.

The semi shine will last maybe a couple of months,takes about an hour to do the front cap and the buffer can be operated with 1 hand.
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW SLT 4x4 LB QC CTD PullRite SuperGlide
2007 Mountaineer 336RLT Mich. XPS Ribs Duro Max XP4400E Gen.
2000 Lance 1130 Torklifts/SL/Stainless Generac Gen.
2 Rescued Camping Collies (always ready to go)

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the trailer on the truck and the wheels well chocked;

run the landing gear all the way down without lowering the lower legs and lift the pin.

Unhitch.

Raise the landing gear (lowering the nose) as far as it will go. With the trailer kneeling you can reach a lot more of the nose from the ground or a short ladder.

To keep from overheating the motor(s) when bringing it back to level, you may want to run it half way up, go enjoy a beverage of your choice, then run it the rest of the way .

P.S. I do this as seldom as I can get away with. If I wanted to work this hard I wouldn't have retired.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
Start on the ground with the ladder and then go on the roof and finish.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I have a mid profle front cap where the top wraps way up on the roof. The top 1/4 I do on the roof. The next 1/2 I do from the bed of the truck with an 8' and 4' ladder. The last 1/4 I do from the ground with a shorter ladder.

I use 2 adjustable step ladders spread apart with an aluminum platform running between them. I place it on the higher rungs of the ladder to reach the upper parts , then use lower rungs for lower areas.
It sure beats climbing and standing on a single ladder rung , at least for me it is..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Ummmmmm ladder maybe... Waxing was never meant to be easy. Some waxes are easier to remove than others however.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I have done it 2 different ways. A step stool in the bed of my truck, or an extension ladder (along the ground) with towels wrapped on the top ends so it won't scratch the cap while leaning on it.

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wash Wax All with their mop tool, and extending handle works great. Their site
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
No easy way. I use a ladder in the bed of my pickup. Safety first!

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tall step ladder.