cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to increase payload?

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 2015 Coachmen 324 TSRK, it has a dismal 1284 lbs of payload. It has 5200 lb axles. It was one of only two models produced by Coachmen that year that 7000 lb axles were not an available option. I know I cannot change the rating on the yellow payload sticker. But what would be the harm in changing the axles, springs, brakes with 7000 lb axles, springs and brakes? Would I be safely increasing my payload? What about just changing the bearings to 6000 lb bearings? It it my understanding the only difference between the 5200 and 6000 lb axles is the outer bearing? Thanks in advance.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.
22 REPLIES 22

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
can you guys legaly change the payload in the US with no big hassels, here we would need the modifications done and the engineering certifict so big bucks.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Load it up ready to go and put it on a scale. May need more or less than you think.

X2.
Get'r weighed.
This is the only way a vehicles actual payload can be found. Your trailer has 5200 lb axles = 10400 lbs on the axles at a max.
Don't assume the trailers frame can or cannot take higher rated axles. My first 5th wheel rv trailer mfg used the same higher rated axles on three different gvwr trailers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Load it up ready to go and put it on a scale. May need more or less than you think.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
What did the Forest River engineers say when you asked them?

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
How much upgrade do you NEED?
If an additional 600-1000 lbs is enough, I would go along with Jerry's comment, Tires, bearings, and maybe an additional leaf, and take that.
To try to get more, I would really worry about the frame.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
It seems if the 7K axle was not an option, they may have had a reason. They had to know that small CCC, was not good, on a FW that size. I think you could gain some CCC by using the 6K axle bearings (I also think bearings only diff between 5200 & 6). If the 6K springs are different, you could change those, or add a leaf to existing pack. The tires are often just adequate to cover axle rating, so upgrade may be needed??

Jerry

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I would worry about the frame and that would be my guess that they didnโ€™t offer 7000 pound axles. Can you see the frame in one of the units that had 7000 pound axles to see how much difference there is?
I love to modify and make things better but Iโ€™ve had entry level RVs that werenโ€™t even sturdy enough to handle the original manufactures ratings โ€ฆ they flexed so much and broke apart without even overloading them. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Swapping in new axle assemblies (hub to hub including springs and tires) would go a long way towards achieving your goal. I would be concerned that the thickness of the steel in the frame would not be up to the new axle capabilities.