cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to raise fifth wheel alittle higher

Reeko08
Explorer
Explorer
I found fifth wheel toy hauler WW that I want(with flipped axles already). The problem is that my truck seems to high due to the 6in lift. Truck measures 61 1/2in to bed rails, people tell me that I need a least 6in of clearance between bed and trailer, if anybody could help me out on how to make it work or where to go. I'll appreciated a lot. If you own a lifted truck with a lifted Hauler post pics. Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

Reeko08
Explorer
Explorer
I wanna say thanks for all your input, my concern was always the center of gravity. I'm going to consider a longer bumper pull trailer better, do not want to endanger myself, family or others. Thanks again....

Macman83
Explorer
Explorer
My Voltage is already 13'4" high, and I am watching bridge clearances on the back roads. If yours is fairly tall, you might not want to raise the trailer. With that in mind, you might also measure the height at the forward A/C unit to make sure that you're not too high. Personally, I would worry about the stability of towing with a lifted truck, but I worry too much (says my DW).
2010 Ford F450 Superduty diesel
2013 Voltage 3905

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
You may want to measure your overall height before you start raising the toyhauler. You could find your self approaching 14' or even going over that if you raise the toyhauler very much.

Not to mention the very high center of gravity you're going to have. Which could be uncomfortable in some situations. I'd lower the truck.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RVnRobin
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't want to lower your truck, how about removing the box and putting a little flat bed on it. Would give you plenty of clearance. And, you could put the trailer axels back to lower the center of gravity. Besides, a flat bed will raise the coolness of your truck. 🙂
So much to experience, so little time.

big_buford
Explorer
Explorer
Ramp angle gets pretty steep for loading toys also.
04.5 GMC 2500HD D/A
06 38 CKS Dune Chaser
Chenowth 4-seat 3.5 honda
15 maverick xds
Beautiful wife that's much nicer than me:B

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
There is a product called "Correct Track" that is a bolt on system for aligning trailer axles and will actually raise the trailer about 2 inches. Don't know if that would be enough but it's a start.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Most of the trailers with axles under the springs are already pretty high off the ground. Not sure I would raise one any more.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lower the truck is the smart move. But since you are unlikely to do that, adding a sub frame is the only option. But that is going to cost you a lot of cash unless you have excellent fabrication skills. That is going to involve supporting the trailer on stands, cutting off all of the axles, springs and spring hangers. Welding a piece of box tubing to the bottom of the frame and then welding new spring hangers. The slightest mistake in fitting or welding is going to make for a very expensive pile of junk sooner or later. Not to mention a very unstable tow due to the high center of gravity.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lower the back of the truck.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

DavisK
Explorer
Explorer
Lower the truck
2013 Silverado 2500 HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2014 Sunset Trail SF270BH
Holly & Buster, rescued mini Dachshunds