cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I need a hitch cover, please help.

sjturbo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a cover for a 12K Pullrite Super Glide hitch. I do not want to spend $$$ for a OEM cover. Can anyone point me to an inexpensive cover that does not require me to get a loan to afford it please.
22 REPLIES 22

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
The low lives will not be able to figure out how to cook on your hitch when they remove the Weber Q cover in some back woods fish camp! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
I guess I am being snarky, but why have a way high line RV and truck and then want to cheap out on a hitch cover? :h

Easy to remove "high dollar" covers (in the open) have been known to grow legs..:S

With bed cover:
If you have a bed cover - and your hitch requires WD-40 on the mechanism - a trash bag and bungee helps keep the dust out.

The cheap out:
Hmmmm - it's a....."Handy-out"!!...:W
If you haven't used your hitch in a while, time for a new cover!
Pull off the old trash bag and toss...:C

No bed cover:
The Weber Q - or "generic" BBQ cover - about $10 from HD or Loews & avail in various sizes. Bungee as needed.
If you're in a high dust area - "bag it" underneath the BBQ cover.

~

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
I guess I am being snarky, but why have a way high line RV and truck and then want to cheap out on a hitch cover? :h

You guessed right.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Puma 30RKSS

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
john&bet wrote:
I just this afternoon put mine in the tool shed for the winter. Took all of 5 minutes.:B

Yep. Mine's been in the garage all summer. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Maybe??

That will work. Inexpensive a good idea! You will not have to take out a loan like you mentioned!
Scott
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
My brother brought a Weber Q and since he stores his under cover, he gave me the cover.
Works great on my B&W hitch during the season.
I pull the hitch for the winters here in Utah.
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I just this afternoon put mine in the tool shed for the winter. Took all of 5 minutes.:B
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
A quote from 10 Minute Tech in Trailer Life, May 2013, which I just happened to look at in preparation for recycling and was open on my coffee table:

"I have come up with an easy way to cover the fifth wheel hitch when not in use while in the bed of my truck to protect it from the weather. While buying parts for my barbeque at Home Depot a few months ago it occurred to me that the cover for a Weber Q barbeque would do just fine. I purchased it for about $8 and adapted it to cover my hitch saddle. It works great.
I simply cut a small hole on the side of the cover to skip it over the jaw-release arm and fit it over the hitch head. It has drawstrings on the bottom that I cinch up so it fits snuggly and won't come off. The size of the cover would probably accommodate most hitches.
It is a simple solution that does not cost much."
Virgil Weber, Glendora, California.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

rwjejits
Explorer
Explorer
R12RTee wrote:
allen8106 wrote:
I'm trying to understand why you even need one. I've never heard of anyone using a hitch cover.

Probably a lot of things you have never heard of. My hitch stays in the truck and a cover on it keeps it from getting filthy and rusty and the air bags on the hitch stay out of the sun. Pretty useful to me.

That is one nice looking hauler bed setup...
2004 Ford F250 6.0
OEM TTYs Still Tight
210+ and Pulls Great
Original Owner- Lawrence Marshall Ford - Hempsted, Tx. (Closed 2009)
SCT, SG2, Deletes, Pyro, Free Flowing Exhaust, Timbrens, ELC & Filter

2011 Keystone Laredo 245RL

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I use a patio gas cooker cover for my Reese hitch. I have a tool that adds grommets that allows the cover to close the bottom with a draw string then a couple of black tarp straps to hold it in place while traveling around.
When not using the hitch it hangs in the tractor shed with the cover over it.
I also added commercial grade sticky back velcro so I can close the cover at the bottom. Keeps the dab blasted mud daubers out while hanging in the shed. Plus much less maintaining the hitch head/slider moving parts.
The hitch is a '97 model and still looks and works better than new.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

sjturbo
Explorer
Explorer
Well I have tried the lawn/leaf garbage bag approach. Unfortunately the desert sun makes quick shred of them. I have seen many a hitch that had never heard of a hitch cover and they are good examples of a pile of rust. Covering the entire bed is not necessary either but I do appreciate all of the suggestions!

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
is it friday yet? wrote:
It won't fit under a tonneau cover? My Reese 16K does. I had to cut the handle and turn it slightly but it covers the hitch and whole bed.

That's what I did, just put a TruXedo tonneau on my RAM. The B & W fits great under the tonneau! :B

The garbage bag idea is frugal but effective.

Dan

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I had a cover special made to fit our large air hitch to keep the sun off and not give a knot head an idea to poke a knife into an airbag. So I need to get busy and cover the hitch as we will sit for 6 months here in the nice warm Az sunshine.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110