cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing rv shocks

Brandon327
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at installing shocks on my 5th wheel. Do you think both axles or only one of them? Where is the best place to get a kit from? I saw one in a magazine but can't remenber the brand.
2013 gmc 3500 hd cc Drw 4x4
2016 Dutchmen voltage 3990
13 REPLIES 13

TURNKEY
Explorer
Explorer
I used this kit from Campingworld, the price was in the ball park and I was on a tight shipping deadline. The kit is easy to install, you'll need a jack and a drill and probably have to purchase the specific size drill bit to install the self tapping bolts. The kit made a major improvement to the ride, I still get a bounce but no oscillations. I also installed a Dexter EZ flex kit. I can't tell how much difference it made but I would strongly suggest you at least put on a wet bolt/brass bushing and shackle kit, the cost to include the EZ Flex wasn't that much so I did everything. The ride improvement is remarkable...NO CHUCKING!!!!

Also look in my posts for the "which way to lean a shock" I am convinced I made the right choice.
TURNKEY:?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, do both axles.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Brandon327 wrote:
I am looking at installing shocks on my 5th wheel. Do you think both axles or only one of them? Where is the best place to get a kit from? I saw one in a magazine but can't remenber the brand.

I did both axles, the improvement in ride was great. You might look at this thread.

Link
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
The shock hangers on my 5er(2009 Forest River Silverback) moved and my Michelin ribs were damaged. Work was done before Forest River was notified and therefore they didn't cover the replacement tires or the cost of the work done even tho' my dealer backed me up on the problem. The new hangers did the same thing only they didn't cause the damage that the old ones did becuase the problem was spotted quickly enough. After talking to Forest River, I was told to take the shocks off and have the hangers removed, which I did, because the shocks shouldn't be on there with the suspension system that is on the trailer.It's the E-Z flex system. They have been off for a few years now and I haven't noticed any difference in the ride of the 5er. I do have the trailair king pin box.If your rig is still under warranty I would be giving the manufacturer a call before any work is done or your warranty could be voided.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Brandon327 wrote:
I found a kit the lippert sells that appears to have Monroe shocks in it.

I don't know the brand name of the shocks that came on my 06' , but when I had them replaced the first of the year, as stated, they were replaced with Monroe Severe service shock absorbers..Much more robust looking than the OEM shocks.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Brandon327
Explorer
Explorer
I found a kit the lippert sells that appears to have Monroe shocks in it.
2013 gmc 3500 hd cc Drw 4x4
2016 Dutchmen voltage 3990

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Make them as straight as possible. Angling them diminishes they're ability to work to the point that some aren't doing any good at all. Looks at the way they're mounted on your truck..
FWIW, this is a super worthwhile mod. It makes a huge difference in how much the trailer moves around back there and for some odd reason, you feel less expansion joints and other road irregularities while pulling.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah I remember seeing the write up, thinking that they stated, "this is the way the other guy's do it".....not on my 5er, mine are angled out a bit and no where near at such an up and down angle...that looks goofy.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
My 5er has them. I added shocks to my old TT. Monroe used to have RV shock specs online. I bought the shocks from a auto parts house way cheaper than RV dealers.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

bogart661
Explorer
Explorer
This is the one that was in Trailer Life. It looks pretty good but is expensive at $495 for the kit.
My old 5er had shocks and I do beleive they help with the ride. I am planning on added some to our current 5er.
Vinnie and Chris
2013 2WD Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD Crew Cab Short Bed Duramax/Allison Reese R16 Slider
2014 Crossroads Cruiser Patriot CF305SK

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
My 5er came with 4 shocks...last year when I upgraded the spring packs, also replaced all 4 shocks with Monroe severe duty shocks...Don't know about the "negatives"...just know the unit came with shocks and I upgraded the spring packs, shocks and equaflex centering unit with trailair. Rides very smooth and I have nothing to compare with my unit NOT having shocks on it.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check with lippert components directly. Are your sure the mounts are not already there?

socoguy
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer Life mag I believe. Lots of variables involved. The rewards are somewhat questionable.