cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing TV in Toy Hauler

DutchTriton19
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a new 2019 Dutchmen Triton 3951 Toy Hauler, there is an area to place a small 26 inch TV between the spare bathroom door and living room door. I would like to mount a 42inch flat screen TV in the area above between the 2 cabinets and on the outside of the loft area. Has anyone done this before and if so how did you do it? Did you have to mount plywood to make the mount support stronger, etc..?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=72BF6C6CB4AE000B1AED8F225AD64451B79360C7&thid=OI...

EDIT: Fixed link to fix the width of the page frame.
9 REPLIES 9

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Duct tape it.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
You should be able to press on the wallboard to locate the studs. There has to be one at each door frame and probably one on the middle. Attach a sheet of plywood to the studs then mount your TV mount to that.

jcgribks
Explorer
Explorer
phone or email Dutchmen and ask for a diagram of that wall section. I bought a Heartland Fuel 352 and called and they emailed me a factory sheet that shows dimensions and how the wall is built. Since yours is above where the "factory" location is for a TV, they should supply you with drawings showing the stud locations. For mine I cut a piece of 1-1/4" thick board a little bigger than the TV wall mount. I mounted the board to the factory TV backing in the wall (which ws smaller than the TV wall mount). Then I mounted the TV wall mount to my mounted board.
1996 Itasca Suncruiser 34RQ, P32 w/ 454 TBI, Banks Air Intake, Harris Towmaster Performance Chip pulling a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
..I would then attack an outside backer board...

What did backer boards ever do to you?
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Chances are that loft wall will have a few 2X2’s which should show up on a stud finder. I would then attack an outside backer board to 2 of the vertical supports then lag screw the TV mount to that backer board.

DutchTriton19
Explorer
Explorer
Behind that upper area is the loft which is accessible from living area.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
I did the backer board deal on my old toy hauler. The original cabinet for the TV was for a CRT, so could not put a decent flat screen there plus didn't like the height. mounted bracket to board, screwed board to studs. Mine was a homemade rigid mount.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

smarty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Am assuming the other side of this wall area is storage of some sort that is accessible from the inside of your rig? If so I would be inclined to mount a board on both sides and bolt/screw them together with a support board on the inside.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer

Check for studs and see if your mount would hit any studs. If not, yep- a backer board that DOES hit studs and then attach the TV mount to that.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page