cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interior door light needed, looking for ideas....

Our_Place
Explorer
Explorer
Still amazes us that entering your camper at night forces you to fumble around in the dark looking for a light switch that in a panel somewhere. Why can't there be a switch right at the DOOR! Our new camper even makes you go up some steps to get to the panel to turn on the lights. Any solutions for this that don't look bad in a new camper.
2008 Silverado 3500HD crew cab 4x4 SRW Duramax Allison 6 speed
2014 Cougar 327 RES "Campy"
20 REPLIES 20

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe a "Clapper" ?
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
RockyMt wrote:
I have a Montana 5th wheel- when you open the door the lights come on,door switch.Nice feature!Also have a step light on the porch light.

Same here. Since we always camp at CG with electricity I have a small light from Home Depot that plugs into an outlet and is operated by a sensor so that when its dark it comes on. also good for getting up in the middle of the night to pp.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

RockyMt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Montana 5th wheel- when you open the door the lights come on,door switch.Nice feature!Also have a step light on the porch light.

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
For the life of me, I can't figure out why all the light switches have to be in the control panel. It is probably the only thing I dislike about our new 5th wheel.

I always leave a light on when we're gone. Yes, I am one of those people.
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Our Jayco HT has some under-step lighting that comes on when the outside "porch" light is turned on. However, like yours, the switch is very high on the control panel right inside the door. Since I don't make it a habit of going outside when it's pitch black without turning on the "porch" light, it's not been problem for me. I guess you should take a look at "door jamb switch" as noted by vietvet66-67.
John A. Lichty

vietvet66-67
Explorer
Explorer
Just google " door jamb switch" There a bunch of them. If you are going to use a 12volt lamp any of the cheaper ones will work fine.
2006 Chevy 3500 DRW LBZ/ALLY LT2 The "DREAM CATCHER"
1999 Newmar American Star Newmar Kountry Klub #19708
Curt Q20 P-2 Controller
LIFE MEMBER OF THE VFW MEMBER 335 "DUALLY CLUB"
"GOD, GUTS, AND GUNS KEEP AMERICA FREE"

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We have a light located behind the exterior RV steps with a switch just inside the door at floor level. We also have a light strip that activates when the door is opened. All installed by the manufacturer. Only problem with the light strip is when you using the screen door, the light strip stays on.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
We Motel 6 it and leave a light on.
Puma 30RKSS

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
There are a plethora of battery operated motion detector lights available that you can stick anywhere in an RV. Just take a walk down the lighting aisle in any big box store like Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Including my all time favorite simple light bulb solution.
2 for 10 bucks stick them anywhere. Great for RV closets.

:B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Greydennyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
I'm really not trying to be a smart a.. Polish guy, but since I was 14, I always had a small flashlight on my keychain.
In the 60's , you needed it to find a keyhole to unlock the old Dodge Coronet, or sneak back in at Moms house at 2 AM, In the 70's it was necessary in the middle of the night in a tent, looking for a "church key" can opener for the beer.
Later on in life, I needed this light to find my dog's poop during the night, and pick it up off my neighbors lawn. My Rosanne started needing my lamp at finer , darker restaurants to see the menu.
I still carry one, to find a light switch, or my glasses off a table during the night, ( or for sneaking out of the RV for a sip, with a neighbor, during the night)
Denny, Rosie and Josie the Beagle
2016 Allegro 36 LA
2016 Mazda 3

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
I was surprised this was an issue. My 5er, a 1995 Prowler, has the switch for the outside and inside light right beside the door at about waist high. I can reach in and hit the lights from the ground outside before getting on to the steps. When I unlock the door the switches are right there at key height.

A Puck light seems like the easy solution.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
I have a small table lamp that uses a night light bulb that we leave on when we're gone so it's not so dark when we come in.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I have on the steps up into our Motor Home. Ours is tied to the door switch that operates the power steps. On a 5-wheel, you could mount one to light your outside steps, as they are designed to be used outdoors. I like them because they are LEDs and can be left on without getting hot or drawing a lot of current.

LED Step lights
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wireless remote light switch!

Have any nearby lamp turn on when you enter!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption