cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jacking a 5'er with a bottle jack

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have information on where I can get a U-shaped saddle that will fit on top of my bottle jack for jacking up my trailer? I know not to place the jack toward the center of the axle. I place it directly behind wheel. The springs on my trailer are above the axle so I don't have a spring plate to place the jack under.
Thank You!!
Semper Fi

Tony, Darlene & the boss Bentley!
2013 Ram CTD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball and Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection".
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5K 5th wheel with Reese Airborne Pin Box.
23 REPLIES 23

bigdon68
Explorer
Explorer
Here you go. Bottle Jack Cradle. I have one-- it works great.

SWAG OFF ROAD

Enjoy the road. We do.

bigdon68
2017 F450 Lariat Shadow Black / Magnetic, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. TS3 Air Hitch, Retrax, 55 Gal.Aux.Tank
2017 DRV Mobile Suites,induction cooktop, solar, f/b paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig, 3" riser, MorRyde Steps

MY PICTURES

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
I just put my bottle jack under the axle between the u-bolts and lift. Works for me.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doesn't take much. It is not like your friends are having a square dance inside the the trailer while you are all lifted up.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
Just adjusted my brakes today...bottle jack, flat piece of heavy iron on top, then a piece of wood between metal plate and U bolts. The wood has nice indentions for the U bolts now.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

23mikey
Explorer
Explorer
My springs are located on top of the axles also, so years ago I purchased a spring perch (I think that's what it's called) from a local commercial trailer supply store. Cost about $5.00.

Now if I have to use a bottle jack, I just place the perch under the axle, where it perfectly conforms to the axle, and place the bottle jack on the flat surface of the perch. Placement of the bottle jack directly under the axle is important so the perch doesn't slip around the axle.

I use this when I inspect wheel bearings at home and for the one tire failure I had on the road with no issues. If I use my floor jack at home, it has four tabs on the lifting plate that cradle the axle.

Mike
2018 F350 DRW Lariat PSD
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320GK 1200w Solar, 400aH Battleborn, 3kw Magnum Hybrid Inverter/charger, Disc brakes, Sailun G rated tires

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your responses. From what everyone is saying, it looks like I have been doing just fine with what I have. My jack works great but I was just thinking it would be safer using a saddle on top of the jack. I'll keep doing what I have been but will definitely use blocks or jack stands for extra safety.

Thank you!!
Semper Fi

Tony, Darlene & the boss Bentley!
2013 Ram CTD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball and Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection".
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5K 5th wheel with Reese Airborne Pin Box.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Out of curiosity, I went and looked at a few bottle jacks on Amazon. Was surprised to see that most of them did not have the vee groove that I am used to, and just had a stamped serration. Even so, I would be completely comfortable using that to lift my axle. The serrations form a similar vee, just not as deep, so there is still some resistance to side slip.

OP, you are probably over-thinking this.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My 12T shorty hyd bottle jack came with a 1/2" wide groove in the top just for that application. The jack came with a 10" x 10" base just for side of the road use.
Just slide it under the axle tube next to the U bolt on a std leaf spring suspension. A few pumps and all its lifting is one end of the axle.

The jack is old and just recently rebuilt for the 3rd time since the early '70s. I've jacked fully loaded 1750 lb up to 10k axles with this old jack on the side of the road.

Whatever method you use make a dry run at home. More than a few RV folks report their ramps didn't raise the flat tire enough....or didn't have enough or the right type of blocks for cribbing against the frame.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Every bottle jack I have (several) has a vee cut across the top of the pad. It's all you need for a tubular axle. Of course you will use a jack stand before any work starts.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
People tend to worry & over engineer how they block up trailers. My experience comes from boats. Not trailerboats. Boats larger & much heavier than trailerboats. Boats don't have flat surfaces like frames to put jacks & blocks under. Fiberglass is much weaker than steel too.

For most jobs the truck will remain hitched, though leaving it unhitched is not that big of a deal. Also doing the job from your own S&B home with all of your own stuff is helpful. I don't have that luxury. The major work like this gets done in a boatyard using whatever is available.

Never had a problem with instability. The DW carries on doing whatever inside while I do the outside stuff. Never trust the weight to be carried by jack only. Always have blocks or something as failsafe.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
If I'm just removing a tire, I put some 6x6's and add'l wood to "close" the gap, unscrew the top of bottle jack till it reaches the middle of frame and crank. If doing more involved work, use same method, but put jackstands near and under frame for safety. 12 ton jack is what I use. Truck is hooked to 5er as well.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
For servicing a tire, brakes or bearings this little device works!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
:h

Veebyes, different schools of thought, you still have one side on the wheels, I would be concerned how the unloaded side of the axles would act when removing bolts. When working on axle mounts I want the axles hanging loose, and control with a jack.

Cribbing like this is more stable than single blocks stacked. I had a stack like this on both sides.

Front supported by Landing gear AND the jack stands they are sharing the load.

This is the view from the front, hard to notice, but the pavement isn't level side to side.

It can be noted in the top photo I have the bottom layer of cribbing shimmed to level, I also shimmed the bases under the Jack Stands level.

It should be noted that once the cribbing and jack stands were in place and the wheels clear of the ground, I put a hard shoulder into both the front and rear of the 5er, it didn't budge.

When using a bottle jack, I place blocks under it to create a steady base and lift on the axle directly under the spring. The axles are not so thin they are going to collapse.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are all kinds of methods of jacking without spending a bundle on fancy seldom used tools.

Don't know what the purpose of the job is but if it is a simple wheel lift use blocks & put the bottle jack under the lowest leaf next to the axle. For security & safety sake place a jack stand under the axle as close as possible to the U bolt. In the pic there is alot going on. Was in the middle of installing the Correct Track system.

Different time. Different job but bulk of trailer weight is on the blocks with jack stands as safetys.

Most of the time all that is available is 1 12 ton bottle jack so there is some jacking & transfering weight somewhere else. You have to start with a plan & assorted lumber thicknesses.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR