cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just wondering

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you that own 5th wheels stay overnight at either Walmart parking lots or one of the Travel Plazas? My dh would like to do this when we are going and coming from vacation ,but how on earth do you sleep and get ready the next morn? I can understand Motorhomes doing it and I would have no hesitation about that but 5th wheel, just can't see the convenience in it. Thanks Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
53 REPLIES 53

Gary66
Explorer
Explorer
On long trips yes, no problem in a 5Th wheel, but just for overnight. We have never had a problem sleeping. We usually drive as far as we can, and pull in when we're are too tired to drive any further. Only problem we have encountered driving is truck stops and rest areas are usually filled by the time I'm ready to stop for the night, in which case we just use the GPS to find any shopping center just off of the highway, there is usually plenty of room.

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
I've opened a slide at flying j, Costco and Walmart for overnight. If you find a spot next to a median on slide side you are golden. I prefer not to stay in truck stops due to noise and sketchy traffic but Walmart can be the same-some good and some bad. Costco has always been great. Just go inside with member card and let them know you are there. Only time I've been told no is when a city bylaw doesn't allow it.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pull into paring lot.
Get out of truck
Go inside 5vr
Go to bed.....fall asleep
Get up in AM. Dress
Get in truck drive out of parking lot

Overnighting is about getting needed sleep before traveling next day
It is not about setting up camp

If you need to open slide outs in order to USE the RV then go to a CG and PAY
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The WALMARTS will have plenty of room to pull in with a fifth wheel and maybe even park at an angle covering a few parking areas...

I see fifth wheels in the Walmarts all the time...

I don't think I fully understand your question...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not really understanding your question - you said you understand MHs doing it but not a 5th? What's the difference except that in a MH you don't have to leave the MH to get to the bed? In a 5th, you do have to go outside for a few feet.

Are you talking about the difference in leaving the MH vs the 5th in the parking lot while you might leave for dinner? If that's it, there's no difference there either that I see?

As for sleeping, if you're talking about noise, WalMarts and Travel Plazas aren't a lot different than a lot of RV parks that are just off of the free ways or built on cheaper land out by the rail road tracks - the type of RV park you would spend the night in as you're passing thru someplace. Truck Plaza's can be a little noisy at times, but I've always found the WalMarts to be quiet. But noise level would be the same for either a MH or 5th.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
Why would a fifth wheel be less convenient or any different than a motorhome in this regard?

Maybe the OP's 5th wheel only has an outside shower? :B

I agree, I don't see what would make a 5th wheel less convenient.
Maybe the OP will come back and explain. There could be something I'm not thinking about.
We overnight in our Southwind without water or electric hookups.
And, I don't run the generator. I do have a propane water heater, maybe that's the difference?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
Why would a fifth wheel be less convenient or any different than a motorhome in this regard?

I think, perhaps, because a motor home (usually) has a generator and can power up electricity. TT and 5er usually do not have an external power source.

Except for electricity, there is no reason why a TT or 5er owner cannot spend the night at Wall Mart. ... and you take a bath in the Wall Mart bathroom sink! (just don't strip clear down like another poster mentioned in another thread recently... that would be just plain weird!)

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have done it on occasion. Just pick a spot in the far corner of the parking lot. You may see a place with a number of 18 wheelers parked. No a/c was more of a problem for us than noise.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB