cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keystone Cougar's the top selling 5th wheel.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.rvbusiness.com/2016/03/keystone-cougar-is-top-selling-fiver-in-2015/

I can see why they sell so many. Light weight, long, good floor plans, lots of amenities and priced right. Just too much OSB for me.
10 REPLIES 10

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
We are on our 2nd Cougar and love(d) both of them. The 2006 did have some smells in the beginning but the 2013 is much better. Easy to pull, very comfortable and a great value in our estimation.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
Love mine...just the basic things that are going to happen that people complain about. But hey...if you're going to own one of these you should know how to fix the simple things. Can't beat it for the value...very happy with mine.
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Laramie, 6.7L Cummins
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
GONE:
2014 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Dayle1 wrote:
goducks10 wrote:

I can see why they sell so many. Light weight, long, good floor plans, lots of amenities and priced right. Just too much OSB for me.

Light weight and too much OSB are kind of contradictory points. OSB is heavier, less resistant to water, swells when wet and sags more than plywood. I don't really know where OSB may be used in Cougars, but many brands use special OSB in the main slide out floor. That is because it is available in lengths over 10 ft while plywood is usually limited to 8 ft.

Cougars use OSB for the floors and roofs as well as for the mattress base. If OSB is heavier and Cougars are light weight for their length then where's the weight being cut from?
The featured model (326RDS) is 10,426 dry and is 37'8" long.

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
Rangerman40 wrote:
I can't stand the smell of the off gassing in the Cougars. I know they all do it but the Cougars are especially ripe for some reason.

Ours, a 2016, has zero odor so they must have changed.
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:

Light weight and too much OSB are kind of contradictory points. OSB is heavier, less resistant to water, swells when wet and sags more than plywood. I don't really know where OSB may be used in Cougars, but many brands use special OSB in the main slide out floor. That is because it is available in lengths over 10 ft while plywood is usually limited to 8 ft.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Our 06 cougar was pretty bad for glues off gassing for the first 6 months. I'd be surprised if they still are like that. With the new carb regs most trailers are far better for that. I know our 2014 crusader had hardly any smells new.

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
WHAT the heck????:h that is a new complaint i have never heard of that one But anyway Cougar is the best selling 5er in it's CLASS (mid level) just like Montana has been the best selling 5er for 14 years in the Luxury class But yeah Cougars are great mid level 5er's ALOT of bang for the buck and tons of floorplans just like their Big brother Montana
Rangerman40 wrote:
I can't stand the smell of the off gassing in the Cougars. I know they all do it but the Cougars are especially ripe for some reason.
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer

babun
Explorer
Explorer
My older cougar fiver at "only" 29 feet seems so much bigger to just about everyone that comes inside.
It has a rear living room layout with a super long slide out that
makes it like a real room in a house.
Quality is very good for the money it costs....in fact the only few
troubles were with the "standard" cheapie items used on so many other RV's such as door handles and tank level sensors.

[img][/img]

cant_remember_I
Explorer
Explorer
We love ours. I think they make a good product for the price.