cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kitty and camping.

HeyJude
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a dog person, just got a new used 5th wheel and a new kitten (4 mos). Can you put a litter box in a fifth wheel and where? I have a small cat door that she uses here to go into the hall closet. Our rig with be on a permanent lot.
2 DD both grown.
2 GC-loves of my life!
Campground lot in Harrison MI.
looking for good used 5th wheel.
26 REPLIES 26

HeyJude
Explorer
Explorer
SteveB wrote:
I put the litter box in a rear compartment that has access from the inside by a cat door and a hatch on the outside. Easy to keep the box clean from outside and out of sight.

Can you explain how you did this to me? It is something my husband may be able to do.
2 DD both grown.
2 GC-loves of my life!

HeyJude
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still debating on where to put it. I do know I'm going to get a covered one since she loves to kick litter all over. I think some kind of pan to put underneath it is in order too. I'm thinking about the best spot is the bedroom closet or the shower, just move it when we are in there.
2 DD both grown.
2 GC-loves of my life!

dfb
Explorer
Explorer
Closet for our two rag dolls.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Winged One wrote:
SkiSmuggs wrote:
Be aware with covered boxes and enclosed spaces, that the odor can concentrate there and kitty may decide to go someplace less stinky. It is important to clean and change the litter frequently.

Exactly. That is why the DW cleans it every day we camp.

And thanks Lyle. ๐Ÿ™‚

We have 3, and surprised many people over the years that we had =any=. DW cleans the boxes 2x a day. HER cats, HER job. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
SkiSmuggs wrote:
Be aware with covered boxes and enclosed spaces, that the odor can concentrate there and kitty may decide to go someplace less stinky. It is important to clean and change the litter frequently.

Exactly. That is why the DW cleans it every day we camp.

And thanks Lyle. ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
We just set the litter box, uncovered, on the floor out of the traffic path, sometimes in front of the entertainment center, sometimes between the sofa and dinette.
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Winged One wrote:
We looked specifically for a cat box friendly 5th.

We put a cat "door" into a side closet and use a covered box. Works very well.

Looks very nice!

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

SteveB
Explorer
Explorer
Here is our cat box setup looking from the outside.

I blocked off the area on 2 sides with 1/4" luan and removed the filler panel in the cabinet. I made the new door with an access port for Rosie. Unrelated, I also made the drawer on top of the new door for easy access to some "stuff" when the slide is closed.

2015 RAM 3500 CTD Auto 4X4 CC Dually, Reese 20K
SOLD 8/2015 '01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy

'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS

lj_cox
Explorer
Explorer
We put ours in the washer/dryer cabinet. Nice closed-off space with its own doors so the dust doesn't go everywhere; I just leave one door open for the cats. The shelf above the pan holds a container of extra litter and bags for scooping, and occasionally a cat as they like it as a space to hideout. I bought a rabbit pan (large square pan with 2 inch sides - it just fits in the cabinet) and lined it with washable mats then the actual litterbox sits in that. It doesn't eliminate litter tracking but does cut down on it, and the mats catch any spillage or accidents.
We're full-timing now, loving our cabin (fifthwheel) on the lake/at the beach/in the mountains/close to the city.

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
We looked specifically for a cat box friendly 5th.

We put a cat "door" into a side closet and use a covered box. Works very well.

2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
We keep the litter box in the bathtub/shower. Put by the front door when taking shower. Sorta a pain to keep moving it; but what the heck.

Doug

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
HeyJude wrote:
I'm a dog person, just got a new used 5th wheel and a new kitten (4 mos). Can you put a litter box in a fifth wheel and where? I have a small cat door that she uses here to go into the hall closet. Our rig with be on a permanent lot.

We met a couple who put a kitty door in the side of their vanity and cut a hole in the vanity floor down to the basement storage area. Litter box was down there, with a 10w light bulb on at all times. They told us about friends who did something similar by cutting a hole into one of the risers for the bedroom steps and a hole into the basement.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

dgtjhatt
Explorer
Explorer
Our unit has a closet for a washer and dryer combo and that is the perfect spot. We also have room to keep the vacuum cleaner and broom.

HeyJude
Explorer
Explorer
This will be interesting trying to figure out where to put it once we get it. I'm having it delivered to our lot on thursday, but won't be able to do much to it till after Easter. I'm a 2 1/2 hour drive from my lot, so it will be a long week or so!
2 DD both grown.
2 GC-loves of my life!