cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

landing gear dual motors

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 Dutchman winners circle made by Thor that I would like to convert to dual motored landing gear legs...one leg and motor for each side instead on one motor driving both sides.
Has anyone done a conversion like this...are legs easy to change out and will brands interchange?
Motor spins over 180 degrees, physically, and one leg..the driven one won't go up or down.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP
16 REPLIES 16

ssduane
Explorer
Explorer
cutty72 wrote:
ssduane wrote:
cutty72 wrote:
Is there a big advantage to having a motor on each leg? Mine has gone up and down fine with just the one motor.

I don't have to carry blocks to level, since each is independantly wired, which makes side to side leveling much easier. I don't every listen to my landing gear strain like they used to either.

Actually yes, when I bought it while waiting for the PO to get the batteries, I cranked it up (and down) to hook it up. Not that hard, just a slow process.

Ok? glad you got to experience that.:?
06 GMC2500HD DMAX/AL, 4XCC/SLT SRW
07 Cherokee Wolfpack 295
2012 KTM 450 XC-W
Raptor 778cc SE2
KFX434 her's
Z434 son's
DINLI DB90

hermy
Explorer
Explorer
I had times when the single motor didn't want to pick the rig up. Where I store my rig is not level- so the rig is nose down. She really used to struggle before I got the dual set-up. There were other occasions too. I'm really pleased with the duals

cutty72
Explorer
Explorer
ssduane wrote:
cutty72 wrote:
Is there a big advantage to having a motor on each leg? Mine has gone up and down fine with just the one motor.

I don't have to carry blocks to level, since each is independantly wired, which makes side to side leveling much easier. I don't every listen to my landing gear strain like they used to either.

Actually yes, when I bought it while waiting for the PO to get the batteries, I cranked it up (and down) to hook it up. Not that hard, just a slow process.

cutty72
Explorer
Explorer
*quoted wrong person.. deleted.

ssduane
Explorer
Explorer
cutty72 wrote:

07 Cherokee Wolfpack 295
2012 KTM 450 XC-W
Raptor 778cc SE2
KFX434 her's
Z434 son's
DINLI DB90

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a few times where the one motor really strains, like if the front is dropped way down to level the rig, got so hot had to let it rest. Ever tried manual cranking? NOT FUN!
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
cutty72 wrote:

Wouldn't say a big advantage,but the motor is not trying to spin both legs down.Plus the chance of both motors quitting at the same time is about nill.If 1 quits you only need 1 jack to get unhooked.
2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

cutty72
Explorer
Explorer

ssduane
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered these, 475 for the pair to the house, work great and were a direct fit for my old standard landing gear.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0033XXXG4/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
07 Cherokee Wolfpack 295
2012 KTM 450 XC-W
Raptor 778cc SE2
KFX434 her's
Z434 son's
DINLI DB90

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Well I tore into the landing gear situation, apparently the shaft that drives the main landing arm from the gearbox broke inside the landing gear arm and it also broke off one of the two corners of the gearbox where one of the lugs is that keeps it from spinning when power is applied sooo, for now I have ordered a new main landing gear with gearbox and motor to replace the one side. Guess my dual setup will go on hold for now but I will have a spare motor and gearbox. When I get the old leg out I'll look and see if I can rebuild the upper end for a spare.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
2018 Raptor 428SP

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
Try an rv salvage yard for the legs.I picked up 2 for $225.Took out the connecting bar and the non powered leg,installed the powered one.Have a powered leg as a spare because never changed the one that was already powered.
2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
The system I'm looking at is a replacement for several brands and includes both legs, motors, gears boxes and wiring, mounting brackets and pads for just over $400.
2018 Raptor 428SP

hermy
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah- I've done this- on my Heartland Bighorn 5'ver. Love it. Didn't take long, cost about $700 bucks and works really well. You'll need to find out who made your original jack system, order another jack/motor/gearbox with the same ratio (found on the data plate on top of the jack) and install it. If I remember correctly it took me about 3 hours.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
My buddy is doing this conversion right now.
Had to buy a second motor and a new shaft to work with the motor.
Remove the bar that is currently in the trailer connecting the 2 legs, hook up the new motor with the new shaft, wire to the same switch and that is it.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail