cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lifestyle Frame

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Wow - I just heard rumor the Lifestyle dropped the Titan box frame and succumbed to the Lippert way - an I-beam.

Bet that throws a rant of some of the early Carriage followers that thought it would carry through on Lifestyle.

Seems each year these just get more homogenized - just a choice of color.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed
28 REPLIES 28

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
The box frame on the Lifestyle models was dropped mid 2016 model year. At the same time, the full wall slide models were dropped, too. It will be obvious as the late model I-beam frame models loose the side rear baggage doors.
Another thing unique to the former Carriage and 1st generation Lifestyle models is that the slide mechanisms sat atop the frame, therefore, no hole cut into the side of the frame to accommodate them.
The 2nd generation, or Titan II frame, has a hole cut in the side of the I-beam to accommodate the them just like the majority of all other makes.
I spoke the Quadra/Big Foot rep and was told that Lifestyle dropped them. I love my Bigfoot and have had no trouble or frame torque raising the front with one jack when I pulled a wire loose.
At any rate, Lippert has come out with a new system similar to the Big Foot where as each jack is self contained like the Big Foot product.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I was under the impression that even though the DRV frame is built by Lippert the frame is still a triple stacked box frame. Not an 'I' beam. Far superior than an 'I' beam."

Yes the lower frame is two 2x6 tubes and one 2x3 tube stacked and welded together to form a 2" x 15" frame. The "I" beam is fine but there is a point that it is not.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rskeans
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
garysol wrote:
Any real evidence that Lippert is still having issues with their frames and have not "fixed" the problems of old?

There is NOTHING wrong with a Lippert frame as long as the RV Mfg has not specified too light of a frame for the application.

My "LIPPERT" frame on the MobileSuites production line.

I was under the impression that even though the DRV frame is built by Lippert the frame is still a triple stacked box frame. Not an 'I' beam. Far superior than an 'I' beam.
'14 RAM CTD,Aisin,CC,DRW,4.10 Longhorn, LB
Aerotanks.com 70 gal underbed fuel tank.
Lifestyle LS36FW, Andersen Ultimate AL hitch

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a nothing wrong with a PROPERLY designed I beam or C channel frame if it is designed properly. The stacked rectangular frame is stiffer and lighter weight than an I beam frame....basic engineering principles apply here.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
spadoctor wrote:
I have seen 5 Montanas with the common broken frame....all were torn metal NOT the welds. Just looking at the design if you know anything about welding and metal structure you can see its poor design and material choice.

Not disputing you, as that's an issue, too, but several of the ones posted here have =started= with a failed weld, that led to metal failure. There weren't weld failures when a bunch of the i-beam frames failed in the suspension area a few years ago. I'd be willing to bet that <100 lbs more steel in most frames would make them near-failure proof...PROVIDED, they're constructed well. I'd sure-as-hell sacrifice 100 lbs of CCC for a worry-free frame.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
It was my understanding they went to an I-beam when they went to wide body construction, 102". If you look at their website, the models that say dealer stock are the old, box frame, and the others are the new I-beam, wide body frame.
2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen 5 Montanas with the common broken frame....all were torn metal NOT the welds. Just looking at the design if you know anything about welding and metal structure you can see its poor design and material choice.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Fulltimer50 wrote:

In my experience the fact that Lifestyle uses the 4 point system is because that is what Bigfoot sells. I suspect that BF made them a good deal on price. The stacked frame on the Lifestyle ends just behind the wheels, which is where the jack is. The rest of the way back is single box frame that will bend if jacked in the rear.
Not even the 6 pt has jacks in the rear. The furthest rear jacks are right behind the wheels.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Well to further support the rumor that the Titan box frame went away for 2016, the website shows the three full slide models as discontinued. They always bragged that they could do a full slide because of the Titan frame.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
spadoctor wrote:
The key to a good frame is the engineer designing it no matter what material is used. Lippert has predesigned frames that some manufacturers design a rig to fit and others design their rigs from the ground up. I will bet that the majority of Lippert frame issues involve the design to fit frames.

Equal to good design is a good build. Welds with no penetration being probably the #1 culprit in the majority of frame issues, IMO. Blame goes to both the frame manufacturer, no matter who, AND the RV manufacturer that doesn't QC the frames as they come in and either fix problems on the bare frames =before= building the RV or outright rejecting the frame. I will admit that frame issues seem to have been far fewer in the past 3-4 years, but there are still a lot of older RVs out there that the manufacturers should step up and fix, no questions asked, if/when the frame fails.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
The key to a good frame is the engineer designing it no matter what material is used. Lippert has predesigned frames that some manufacturers design a rig to fit and others design their rigs from the ground up. I will bet that the majority of Lippert frame issues involve the design to fit frames.

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
RustyJC wrote:
Mile High wrote:
I did see that, and I downloaded the brochure which also shows the Titan box frame, which is curious, but the pics for the new ones show the 6 pt leveling which is inherent to the I-beam. That along with the rumors I heard, I have the feeling the brochure and website have not been updated.

The 6 point leveling system can be used with a box frame. Our Mobile Suites has 6 point leveling and a 15" stacked box section frame (2"x6" plus 2"x6" plus 2"x3" with an additional 2" box section riser between the frame and MorRyde independent suspension.)

Rusty

Ya I forgot about those. Regardless, I think Lifestyle dropped the Titan box - went to I-beam.

I remember the Dealer bragging that the Lifestyle box frame only needed the 4 point Big Foot system because the frame didn't flex like the I-beam. Seeing the 6 pt on there in the picture means they changed their mind, just decided to go to the LCI Level up, or they truly did go to I-beam.

If they truly did drop the Titan frame, it makes it interesting to listen to all this hype they had for the box frame in 2014
Lifestyle - Titan

In my experience the fact that Lifestyle uses the 4 point system is because that is what Bigfoot sells. I suspect that BF made them a good deal on price. The stacked frame on the Lifestyle ends just behind the wheels, which is where the jack is. The rest of the way back is single box frame that will bend if jacked in the rear.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
My 2014 Lifestyle has been good all the way around....no frame issues. I guess every brand turns some out with more workmanship....too bad. I have a friend with a 2014 Columbus (Lippert frame) with a frame/chin area issue. He said there are other Columbus owners have had the same issue. His has been repaired once and after one trip he is having more issues in the same area....fiberglass around the bedroom slide cracking.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
RustyJC wrote:
Mile High wrote:
I did see that, and I downloaded the brochure which also shows the Titan box frame, which is curious, but the pics for the new ones show the 6 pt leveling which is inherent to the I-beam. That along with the rumors I heard, I have the feeling the brochure and website have not been updated.

The 6 point leveling system can be used with a box frame. Our Mobile Suites has 6 point leveling and a 15" stacked box section frame (2"x6" plus 2"x6" plus 2"x3" with an additional 2" box section riser between the frame and MorRyde independent suspension.)

Rusty

Ya I forgot about those. Regardless, I think Lifestyle dropped the Titan box - went to I-beam.

I remember the Dealer bragging that the Lifestyle box frame only needed the 4 point Big Foot system because the frame didn't flex like the I-beam. Seeing the 6 pt on there in the picture means they changed their mind, just decided to go to the LCI Level up, or they truly did go to I-beam.

If they truly did drop the Titan frame, it makes it interesting to listen to all this hype they had for the box frame in 2014
Lifestyle - Titan