Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lippert Auto Leveling system operating questions

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

We will be picking up new 5th wheel any day now and I have been looking at how to use the new options such as auto leveling.

I watched a you tube video by Lippert and it showed controlling the front legs from the auto leveling box to unhitch. The video showed front legs with no pins to pull. In looking at photos of our new 5th wheel (2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL)there are pins on the front landing legs.

Can anyone tell me how this system works with pins in the front legs?

Thanks!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
10 REPLIES 10

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
Kohai - I get what your saying. That's what I was trying to describe in my earlier post. My experience is if its way nose high when you start auto level, the tires usually end up off the ground. Extend the legs enough before you pull the front pins, pull the front pins, lower the legs where the nose is only slightly low, pull the rear pins, and hit auto level. Works every time then for me.

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
I find I need to be pretty near level, like within 1 degree, or the system will actually go a bit overboard and lift the wheels off the ground.

There's also a gotcha where it is possible for it to not be able to lower it enough if the pin/front jacks aren't set right. For example, this last weekend, the system couldn't lower the front end enough to get it level, so it wanted to raise the back end way up to compensate. I don't like the wheels off the ground. So, I put it back on the truck, put 3 of those plastic blocks under the jacks, and that gave it enough play in the up/down so that it could lower the front enough to level it.

I hope that last paragraph made sense.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Ours has the Geound Control system, once I get the trailer where I want it and before disconnecting from the truck, I pull the pins on the front legs and lower them down to about 3-4" from the blocks I use. I then turn on the auto level, hit "jacks down" . Once it stops I disconnect, extend the rear jacks, then hit the "auto level" button and watch it dance.

I've had an issue with it once and used it many times in almost two years of owning this trailer
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
dpgllg, you'll have the 3.0 ground system. Yes, just like any other 5W, you still have to lower the inner front legs(pins) manually before starting the Auto Level.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

TJames1974
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:
Our paperwork even came with a dvd on it, which I have not looked at yet. I have managed to auto level it twice with no problem. In my opinion it not something to get stress out about.

While I had no problem operating my same system my dealer suggested I watch the video and I am glad I did. It explains the whole menu nd what the system does. one touch operation to reconnect is really cool and easy to get back to hitch height. It isn't a long video but definitely worth it.
2003 Ford 6.0 Diesel
2017 Cougar 32RLK Fifth Wheel

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Lippert auto level ground control electric system. Sounds like what you have. Ours is 4 years old and the system has always worked well. Main thing to remember when unhitching is to let the front jacks down enough with the electric control so that when you pull the pins you can get back down to level. This is really important if the site is sloped. Good luck.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
We have the 3.0 system, which is all electric, on our new Reflection 337RLS. The pins will lower the inter legs down some then just push the buttons as explained on the door sticker. It really is real easy. When we picked up ours the dealer showed how it worked when we hitched up. When home it was very easy to unhook. Our paperwork even came with a dvd on it, which I have not looked at yet. I have managed to auto level it twice with no problem. In my opinion it not something to get stress out about.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

GHop
Explorer
Explorer
Have the dealership explain it to you. Lippert will not help you and will only give you a hard time. We have the same leveling system on our 2016 Arctic Fox and it has only worked correctly one time.
G.H.

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
If you have pin's in the front legs, then you don't have the lippert level-up, as that is their hydraulic system. You might have the electric version, ground control 3.0. You might look that up on the lippert website, and see if it answers your questions.

I guess until you find out for sure what you have, its all conjecture at this point?
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Have the dealer explain it to you when you pick it up. That's part of the PDI. My system is hydraulic and has no pins, only hydraulic cylinders.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler