cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Long Road trip

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
We are going on a long road trip this spring and summer...about 4 to 6 weeks. DO you wish that you were driving a motorhome ?
29 REPLIES 29

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've tented, had 5 TTs, and are now on our second 5er.
What keeps us from the diesel MH we would want is that a lot of the possible issues require a shop. There is very little on a TT/5er I can't fix.
Each one has their benefits and issues. A trunk camper could be a good alternative as well in certain cases.
Puma 30RKSS

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like a trip around 3-4 weeks max. I like a diesel truck and a TT.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
we love our M/H plan your stops, fuel stops. boondocks where when you want.
Love it.

Set up in the rain. with out getting wet. auto leveling, dual air conditioned, what's not to like..

coast to coast in 5 days if you like,
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Nope..... not for me.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
it depends upon if you are moving locations often during the 4-6 weeks or staying mostly at 1 or 2 places. Motorhome is nice for moving around a lot. Fifth Wheel is nice for sitting in one place for longer period of time. Motorhome with a toad is nice for touring in the local area vs a big truck. Motorhome is nice for pulling into a rest area in the rain and being able to take a break without getting out in the rain. Being able to start generator from inside is nice too. Gas vs diesel motorhome makes a big difference though.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think I would enjoy a very long drive more with a motorhome .... the getting up and moving around while my wife drives would be nice; grabbing a coffee or snacks with out the need of stopping; nicer ride. If you can't afford a Prevost get a Newmar King Aire.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Yes definitely. A motorhome really shines when you're rolling down a limited access highway and encounter a 5 mile backup of traffic and it's all sitting still. ๐Ÿ™‚

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
My MH driving experience was not pleasant. The front end is wide and flat and there's no engine cowling in front of you to act like sort of a guide arrow. I felt like I was taking up the entire lane width and getting too close to the center line.

I'm sure you get used to it, but that's my take.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
MoHo and dingy will give you the most flexibility on your trip.
5th wheel gives more living space, but you then need a monster truck.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We have had a van with a tent, a tent camper, a truck camper 2 TT's and a MH. It maybe my age but the MH is better for a long road trip.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I prefer my truck pulling a trailer. With 4x4 I can go more places with confidence. MHs are higher, wider and heavier limiting campsites and many dirt roads. The big front windshield on As often make it too bright. If the MH breaks down...your house is also in the shop. I can, and have, changed my TV and TT tires. Most canโ€™t on an MH and wait for service.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
We have been on several long road trips in two different motor homes, a fifth wheel, a travel trailer, and four different tent trailers. I enjoyed driving the motor homes most and we enjoyed traveling Iโ€™m the motor homes more than other rvs. Pulling the tent trailers was great because we had the kids with us.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
Why?

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
agesilaus wrote:
NO!

X2!
No Way!!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
NO!
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper