cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

looking at trucks

dennyida
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning, I know I`m going to open a can of worms here but here it goes. We have a 2015 Keystone Outback 296FRS that we really love and next spring we will be looking to buy a new truck to tow with. This will be our last new truck so I will want every bell and whistle on it. The weight on the 5ER is 9600 lbs. I`m thinking about a diesel and would like the option of the engine brake or something like that. I don`t care if it be a dodge , ford , GMC . I currently have a dodge ram that is 10 years old and still love it. Also some thoughts on the dual tires, I would like to stay away from that but I have been told it`s much safer . We will be traveling down south next spring and then out west next summer. Again I now this is quite a large and wide open subject but I would like to see what others are using . Thank you, Denny and Ida
67 REPLIES 67

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I came into this not knowing a thing about US trucks. I had a 1996 Cummins 5.9L in my 32' boat. Great motor. That is all I knew till I got involved with these forums.

Here in Bermuda anything bigger than a 1/4 ton is too big for our roads which are better suited for golf carts & side by side ATVs than cars.

After considerable lurking reading the tooing & froing jabs over which is best it all basically comes out a wash. Some model years seem to be better than others for one reason or another. We got lucky. Turns out 2006 was a good year for GM & the Isuzu 6.6L diesel. Years later there is no itch to get anything newer. Don't even like the looks of the the newer ones.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
ZOSO wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
One of these in a 3500SRW and Aisin will put you in the Luxury section with all the bells and whistles. If going over 13-14K you can't go wrong with exactly the one in the pic. The Factory rear air ride is awesome!

I pull 32,500# all over the West with no issues.

Hey! If he gets this exact truck... What will you drive from now on??!!

Yeah, I know, I'm going. 🙂

SRW? Not pictured here, that is a dually!

IceWolf48
Explorer
Explorer
We're half-way through a cross country trip (Buffalo, NY to West Coast), with A 2012 Tundra (5.7) pulling a 8,987 lb. Rockwood 5th (weight certified on "CAT" scale). Running 93 octane this "small block" "gaser" has no problems maintaining 55+ (@ <3,000 RPM) on grades less than 5%. Yes, the rig runs a little slower on steeper grades but ....THOSE GRADES REPRESENT A FRACTION.... of the roads "MOST PEOPLE" travel!

Now, will diesel rigs "pull" better on steep grades, no doubt about that fact but at what cost??? My Tundra rides better than every diesel P/U out there, is assembled by AMERICAN WORKERS in Texas, AND contains more American MADE components than do; Dodge, Ford, or GM. Also, my Tundra costs let to maintain (oil changes for diesels are not cheep) AND cost more than $20,000+++ less any diesel!!! Plus, I get 20+ MPG while not towing and average 10 MPG while pulling. Also, the Tundra's turning radius is less than the other P/U's and it's front end driver's visibility can't be beat.

To be fair, Tundra's 10,000# towing capacity is perfect for just the two of us. If you have a larger rig or have a large family a diesel or GM's 6.0 liter are your only options for 5th towing. I'm not a fan of "turbo" gas engines.... life-time maintenance costs may be questionable... so I'd stay away from that option!

This posting should set off some interesting comments!!!
Ted & Marcia
Buffalo, NY

2016 Rockwood Ultra-lite 31' pulled by 2012 Toyota Tundra

mikebte
Explorer
Explorer
topjimmy wrote:
My Pin Weight alone on my 2015 40ft Montana is 3500 lbs Again do the math you are overweight on a 2500 pickup,for some reason you are not getting it:R

I understand, it's over the number. In that case get a 1 ton. But he is looking at a 30 ft outback.
Little bit lighter.
So if he is looking to upgrade later on, maybe a 1 ton is in his future.

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
My Pin Weight alone on my 2015 40ft Montana is 3500 lbs Again do the math you are overweight on a 2500 pickup,for some reason you are not getting it:R if you ever got in a wreck an insurance company can use that against you because you do not have the correct truck for towing that kind of weight but hey it's you're call Dude just "Rock It"ALSO the price difference between 3/4 ton and a 1 ton is minimal so why would you buy a 3/4 ton when towing a bigger 5th which he may do in the future because he's saying this be his last truck so why not do it right instead of half Ass
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

mikebte
Explorer
Explorer
topjimmy wrote:
:SYour salesman probably told you OHH you will be "fine"(classic line)Sure you have the power to "pull it", with a newer diesel,but it is obvious you do not know what you are talking about,Again YOU ARE OVER WEIGHT with most 40ft 5er's that weigh 12K DRY and 14-15K loaded and most of them do not just Redwoods,Mobile suites etc..
mikebte wrote:
3/4 ton can pull a majority of 5th wheels available. Unless you upgrade to a Redwood or toy hauler you will be fine with a 3/4 ton all day.

Use GVW to rate what you are towing. I myself towed 10,900 with a 59 half ton from California to Oklahoma gvw was 5000lbs. Manufactured always error on the side of caution. So if your a numbers guy use the gvw rating. If your real world get a 3/4 and rock it.

I have lots of towing experience growing up on farms and hauling all over the country. In today's world people need reassurance on everything, if that's you then get a 1 ton.

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
:SYour salesman probably told you OHH you will be "fine"(classic line)Sure you have the power to "pull it", with a newer diesel,but it is obvious you do not know what you are talking about,Again YOU ARE OVER WEIGHT with most 40ft 5er's that weigh 12K DRY and 14-15K loaded and most of them do not just Redwoods,Mobile suites etc..
mikebte wrote:
3/4 ton can pull a majority of 5th wheels available. Unless you upgrade to a Redwood or toy hauler you will be fine with a 3/4 ton all day.
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

mikebte
Explorer
Explorer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ZOSO wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
One of these in a 3500SRW and Aisin will put you in the Luxury section with all the bells and whistles. If going over 13-14K you can't go wrong with exactly the one in the pic. The Factory rear air ride is awesome!

I would sell it! I want the 900TQ and choice of where I place my backup cam for viewing.

Also would like a 16 since my RV is a 16. 😉
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ZOSO
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
tcamper wrote:
Just to toss in my 2 cents ....... I just bought a 2015 SRW 3500 Shortbed Ram Longhorn with a Cummins and all the bells and whistles, and my towing capacity is 17K and payload is over 4K.

Plenty of truck for growth without the DRW.

Don't be so sure! Weigh your TV ready to tow. A 17K 5er will have a minimum of 3,400# pin @ 20% and most likely up to 4,250 @ 25%.

Your Payload is the difference between the rear tires capacity and the actual rear axle weight. Little to no weight actually goes to the front axle.

I repeat, it AIN'T what you can tow it's what you can carry!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

tcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Just to toss in my 2 cents ....... I just bought a 2015 SRW 3500 Shortbed Ram Longhorn with a Cummins and all the bells and whistles, and my towing capacity is 17K and payload is over 4K.

Plenty of truck for growth without the DRW.
Let's go camping.......

Terry & Eileen
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2015 RAM 3500 4X2 / 6.7 Cummins diesel
Houston, Texas

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Eddie,I had a 2012 Montana 3402RL and you are OVERWEIGHT with your SRW 2500..Period!, they are 12.5K DRY I now have a 2015 Monty that is 13.2 Dry and about 15K Loaded That is Dually territory and at the Minnimum newer SRW 1 ton,I just shake my head when I see people hauling these Big 40ft 5er's with a srw 3/4 ton,let me guess the Salesman told you it would haul it just fine:S
edbehnke wrote:
my only input is do not go with duallys.

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just purchased a 3500HD GMC Sierra Denali short bed 6.6 Diesel in May. I love it.
Looked at the Ford 350 Super Duty Platinum as well. Both SRW with GVW of 11500 and a Fifth wheel towing capacity of 17100.

Like the OP it may be my last truck and I wanted a lot of the bells and whistles. The Denali to me was more comfortable then the Ford. But they all are Great Trucks.

Happy Shopping.:B
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
I highly recommend diesel for towing as it is so much less drama than gas. I got 8 mpg towing a 5500 lb TT with a Tundra V8, then 10 mpg towing a 10K fiver with an F150 Ecoboost, and finally 12.5 mpg with my Powerstroke SRW. Both the twin turbo Ecoboost and the turbo Powerstroke do all the work at much lower RPMs than a naturally aspirated gas engine. I didn't want a dually so I am limiting myself to a 15-16K GVWR fiver in the future, and I am fine with that.
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar