cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for snow advice - POSITIVE COMMENTS ONLY

fallonator22
Explorer
Explorer
Positive comments only because my last thread in regard to us being noobs and questions about propane got a lot of condescending answers.

OK - we are in southern Texas, looking to go to southern (Durango) Colorado for the christmas holiday. My question is about driving in the snow. Obviously in Texas you don't run into that problem. This is our first winter in the rig and would like to take it somewhere we can have a white christmas, but are a tad hesitant with driving it. Has regular street tires, as does the truck. It is a 40'6" sandpiper, and we have had no issues pulling so far, but in regular weather, or rain.

Any suggestions, comments, or advice from your own experience would be appreciated!
71 REPLIES 71

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
It can be a slow and treacherous trip with snow and ice. You need truck and trailer chains. I'd also make sure I had a couple of bags of sand.

Be prepared for delays coming and going. Your trailer needs to be prepared for freezing weather to travel as well as use.

Personally, I would not make the trip unless it was a dire emergency. Take a plane is the best bet to get to a white Christmas.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
My memories of being in dicey situations was that I tended to grip the steering wheel with both hands to control steering. When you are going downhill and the trailer wants to come around the front because it is heavy and the only stopping power is the truck transmission, the last thing you want to do is take your hand off the steering wheel. Oops, because the thing that can save you is your brake controller to pull the trailer back into line.

Driving downhill in icy and snowy conditions is not something I want to ever consider while towing.

Have a great Christmas, but keep it safe.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Walaby wrote:
I hope the translation of 'positive comments only', is not meant to discourage anyone who suggests you NOT do this, just keep to themselves.

You've asked a question that undoubtedly has a myriad of answers, depending on level of individual's experience/comfort levels etc. Me personally, I've towed multiple types of trailers off and on over the years, and I would not want to, and would go out of my way to avoid towing in snow. Just not worth it to me.

As others suggest, just fly or drive without trailer, and stay in a hotel. You will be far more relaxed and likely will enjoy the vacation so much more.

Mike

X Whatever to the fly and get a hotel room.
I have towed a couple times in in the snow, longest stretch Butt, MT to Spokane, WA , that was towing a small horse trailer. Took I90 over Lookout Pass, not a big load, and a 4X4. Towed our first 5er twice in the snow, the first time to get home from the coast over the coast range 28’ 5er in tow, 4X4 no chains traveled at about 45 mph. The next time was by choice less snow but wetter.
My thought is I would need to be extremely comfortable towing that 40’ on wet roads, before thinking of towing on the snow.
Carry chains for both the TV and 5er, chains on the TV leads to Jackknife!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Here is something to consider:

Here in PA it is common during snow storms to ban all towed trailers from the PA Turnpike, often for DAYS.

I don't know about the states you are going through, but wherever you go, be prepared to spend a few days sidelined along the way- food, blankets, water, bathroom, whatever you need 🙂

Good luck!

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
That stuff on the trailers is gravel with salt in it. Good way to ruin your trailer assuming you do not end up in a ditch. Is that positive enough?
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hope the translation of 'positive comments only', is not meant to discourage anyone who suggests you NOT do this, just keep to themselves.

You've asked a question that undoubtedly has a myriad of answers, depending on level of individual's experience/comfort levels etc. Me personally, I've towed multiple types of trailers off and on over the years, and I would not want to, and would go out of my way to avoid towing in snow. Just not worth it to me.

As others suggest, just fly or drive without trailer, and stay in a hotel. You will be far more relaxed and likely will enjoy the vacation so much more.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Kenz71
Explorer
Explorer
Apologies if already stated - bring at least 1 shovel preference being snow shovel or a wide metal shovel like the type used for live stock feed. A 20 to 40 pound bag of kitty litter would be helpful. These items are meant in case stuck or plowed in while stopped overnight.

Safe travels!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
How set are you on the exact destination? If possible stay flexible to stop if the conditions go bad. Great chance you will slide in and out just fine and if not you can stop where you are and try again next year.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
If you have no experience driving in snow I would recommend you not learn with a 40' trailer in tow. Even for someone with experience, towing a trailer on slippery roads can be challenging.

I agree.

This is a good time to fly in and get a room somewhere if you want to see snow.

I agree, too. Also, camping in cold weather is challenging for seasoned RVers, so new folks really shouldn't consider it.

Have you even found a RV park that is open and the snow plowed?

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've driven in snow every since I've had a driver's license, and there is no way I would voluntarily try to do what you're thinking of doing. Thanks, but no thanks.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend that if you say you're going to "where ever" He'll say Do you have to go?. In this case I'd probably say no I don't have to. I drove through a wet snowstorm around 300 miles because I was close? to home. 4 wheel drive 30 mph all the way. Never again. Maybe you get lucky and not run into bad weather but I guess I would not take the chance. When we leave Wi for AZ it's as straight south as possible and for as long as I can drive to get as far south as possible.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
The coldest we ever camped in was 15 degrees. We didn't suffer but, the water hose froze solid till the sun had been out for a couple of hours. You're heat will run a lot and take a couple of electric space heaters as a backup. As for towing in the snow and slick roads. I would try to avoid that like the plague. I would do it of I had too but, I would go slow and avoid situations requiring hard stopping.

I have been the brunt of many a condescending comment over the years on this forum. I think it's a lack of ice cream.

bogeygolfer
Explorer
Explorer
Heck, give it a try - just be very deliberate and slow. I am not experienced towing in snow, but I've driven in plenty of snow and as long as you don't make any sudden moves (braking, turning, etc.) you should be fine.

The one time I towed my trailer over an icy bridge, I learned very quickly NOT to use the cruise control - so that's my only word of advice to you.

Be careful and enjoy!
2002 KZ Sportsman 2405
2005 Duramax
1996 Foretravel U295

winniman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Being from Ontario, we grow up driving in snow. You dont say what you have for a tow vehicle, but unless it is four wheel drive, I wouldnt even consider going. Two wheel drive towing anything in snow can be frustration at best, and dangerous at worst.Even with 4x it can be radical on even level ground. I wouldnt want to try it on a mountain pass. What about leaving the camper at a lower elevation and go up the mountain for an overnight at a hotel or something with the truck.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I did not read the other responses, but let me just say that if I had a new RV and really wanted to see a white Christmas, I would at least give it a whirl. About a week prior, start looking at a weather map to help determine where that might be that is closest to you and allow you to get there in a maximum of 2 driving days. Then I would map out my route staying predominantly on interstate highways until I HAD to get off and that would be for less than 5 miles because you never know how those roads are going to be.

Plan to travel at least 4 hrs after it stops snowing so the highways can be cleared. Take it slow and easy and if it starts snowing again, head to the first rest area or large parking area near the interstate to wait it out. You have your own bed, heat, food, etc. You should be good to go for a while.

Unless you are experienced driving your personal vehicle in the snow, I would NEVER attempt to pull a trailer in the snow. I'm very experienced driving in the snow and I would be very reluctant to pull our fifth wheel in the snow.

That's my thoughts on it.

I would also give myself an extra 2-3 days to return because you never can tell about the weather and you may be forced to hang out longer than you originally planned. Make all plans rather fluid and go with the flow.

It is also NOT fun "camping" when it is extremely cold - less than 20 degrees.
It can be done, but is just not a lot of fun.

Now, let's talk about the condescending remarks. This is an open forum and with that being said, lots of people hide behind their computers and think they can say anything since they are anonymous. You just have to take it, ignore it and go on.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW