cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking into a 2017 Grand Design

mexmahon
Explorer
Explorer
Never heard of this manufacturer until we stumbled onto one recently. Visually the quality seems good, but not sure what is "under the hood". We're looking at a 2017 29RS. Any feedback on quality issues one way or the other would be appreciated.
17 REPLIES 17

mexmahon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the GD input, unfortunately we got caught flat footed and the rig we were looking at was sold the next day. However,we were able to get a little more educated on the 5ers. so, we keep looking.

4youngs1
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2015 303RLS, and we are quite happy with the unit. We've towed over 26k miles, and have only experienced minor issues. Like the others have said, it appears the newer units are not as solid as ours. However, they dominate the campgrounds I visit.

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Own a 2015 27RL. Long time member of the GD forum as well as several GD FB groups. IMO, GD has gotten to big, to fast and as a result, quality control has suffered. In general, the rigs being pumped out today are no where near the build quality of the early years. Additionally, customer support is hit and miss proposition as well. Some owners call and get 5 star treatment ehile others are left dangling in the wind.
Two years ago, I was convinced that our next RV would be nothing other than another GD product. Today, if I were looking, I would be comparing offerings from the competition as well. I donโ€™t believe the GD units are built any better then those coming from other manufacturers.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recently had an issue with my 303RLS - it was out of warranty, so I contacted the VP of service - yes - he publishes his email address, and received an out of office reply. About 30 minutes later I got a phone call from a customer service rep - they tracked me down via the info in the email. He talked to me for about 30 minutes and answered all my questions, and gave me a reference number to give to the dealer service department in order to cover the cost of the parts and repairs, along with the correct part number to fix the issue, including instructions to the dealer as to how to correctly fix the problem.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Newer Grand Design fifth wheels are effectively populating the campgrounds I go to. Apparently, a lot of people like them as they are not sitting at home. I find that many popular items represent good values. American purchasers are pretty savy.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL. This model has been discontinued by Grand Design.

We love our 5th wheel. The only issues that we have had is the bathroom door latch needed realigned to latch and the Air Conditioner Freeze Sensor has become disconnected. Waiting on a replacement sensor from my dealer as we speak. Both of these I am able to address and no need to go to dealer.

We are very pleased with ours!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2018 Grand design Reflection 303RLS and we love the layout. It has many nice features including large storage tanks,great storage areas and well laid out control center called (nautilus). This is where all your dump and water valves are. Like any manufacture they are some reported issues but Grand Design is very good at standing behind their product. I had some minor issues that were addressed by dealer under warranty visit. Had some loose hardware and TV reception issues.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2017 Reflecrion 307MKS and currently have a 2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL. The only issue I had with the Reflection were leaky axle seals, a known LCI issue and was fixed under warranty. The Solitude is a different story and rather than go into the gory details, I will say this, IMO, a manufacturer is only as good as the servicing dealers who represent them.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Grand Design has an owners form. If you spend some time on it you'll see that GD is like every other brand in that some have issues and some don't.

The owners forum is a great place to learn about GD. As said, some have issues and some don't...but what you'll see on the forum is that GD stands behind their products in a way that most others do not and their customer service is tremendous.

We've had some problems with our rig, but they've been easy enough for us to fix ourselves without any hassle. The one time we had to call GD was due to a malfunctioning water heater. They sent out a new control board...no questions asked.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Busdriver, Nebraska Furniture Mart. Probably a local furniture store. We have bought Flexsteel and Triumph ( makers of quality motorcycle seats). Both manufactures have 60-65" love seats that fit in place of OEM love seats in RV's and are power recline. Backs come off for easy loading and zero wall clearance or very close to it. We have used both and they work extremely well in RV's. Your local furniture store should have them and a little scuff on the back or side will never be seen for a clearance. We have bought them for $399 & $499. Sometimes we have had to watch for a couple weeks to find what we want but well worth the wait.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Design has an owners form. If you spend some time on it you'll see that GD is like every other brand in that some have issues and some don't.

Busdriver
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is NFS

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a 2016 GD 5th 303rls and could not be happier. It has been a great rv. Our prior was a Keystone Outback Sydney edition 5th and we enjoyed it but had quite a few problems with it. Electrical mainly and some plumbing. The GD Reflection has not had any problems other than the theater seating love seat started to peel. A quick trip to NFS and we replaced it with an electric reclining love seat from the clearance store for $499 much cheaper and better quality than RV furniture.

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Owners of GD seem to be generally happy with them and not too many issues. If there is a problem, they fix it. GD is now owned by Winnebago.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot