cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Multiple blowouts in short time

shinkebein
Explorer
Explorer
Hoping to get some feedback from others who've dealt with the multiple blowout issues. We've had many tire issues in the 3 1/2 years of owning our 5th wheel. We bought the 2013 trailer in Florida in February 2017. Pulling home to Houston, TX, we had 3 blowouts in one day under tow (original tires so I can understand this). The first blowout got both driver side tires at the same time. Replaced roadside with Goodyear Marathons 235/80 R16 E. A few hours after getting back on the road, passenger rear tire blew 30 minutes from our destination for the night. Replaced with spare, got to where we needed to go. Next day, I replaced both passenger side tires with the same Marathons. Those tires lasted a little over two years until memorial day weekend 2019. Driving from Houston to west of Fort Worth (Lake Mineral Wells), I had driver side rear tire blow, changed it and back on the road, hour later passenger front tire blew. Got four new tires at the only place I could find, MasterTrack UN 203 235/80 R16 F rated this time. These lasted until July of this year when driving from Houston to Tyler, Tx when I had a rear driver side blow out again. Put on the spare and as soon as we pulled into the park, the driver side front had a rubber valve stem blow out. Replaced all tires yet again with 235/80 R16 but a G rated tire this time at the suggestion of the tire shop. I don't remember the brand.

Recently I went to my local RV shop, they said we need to replace all of our hubs and bearings and that should solve our problem. We have TPMS and never experienced any issues with tire pressure or temperature so I'm hesitant to spend a few hundred dollars if not necessarily going to resolve our issue. Hoping to get some feedback from others that may have had similar issues. I'm sure we'll hear that we need to go buy Goodyear Endurance or another brand, but we just spent roughly $1000 on these replacing them and getting a second spare. Having this many issues in this short of a time, I'm thinking there is something more at play. The trailer probably only has roughly 5000 miles on it since manufacture as the original owners never towed it more than 5 miles a year (snowbirds from Canada storing it near their campground in Florida).

Thanks in advance!

Steve
2012 GMC 2500 Denali 6.6 Duramax
2013 Prime Time Crusader 325 RES
36 REPLIES 36

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
shinkebein wrote:
Our trailer weighs roughly 12,000 fully loaded and we drive 65 - 70 tops. They didn't mention replacing rims, only bearings and hubs.

How do you know your trailer weighs roughly 12,000 fully loaded? Have you taken it to a CAT scale or some other scale to have a good idea of the weight? How do you know you aren't way over weight?
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
GY ENDURANCE, Stellar record. NUFF SAID.

As mentioned be sure your suspension is dialed in.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:
Buying a new TT tomorrow. Endurance 15" tires. Only 2 sizes. One is 600 lbs higher capacity. Happy to not be China bombs. Will buy the higher load. Chevman

Right on!!!!!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If the alignment was that bad I would expect a Bad wear pattern showing.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
hawkhill wrote:
It was truly sad how poor our alignment was done out of the factory.

They screw in six bolts.... done!

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
Summer time ST tires blowout. ST tires cannot handle heat. Go LT and drive without blowouts summer and winter--as long as the pressure is right ๐Ÿ˜‰
Turret Class traveler

hawkhill
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend taking your trailer to a good truck alignment and axle shop in Houston. We had a similar problem with our tires and found RV dealers clueless. We are in Florida and are lucky enough to have a great truck frame and alignment shop in Orlando called Josam that does RVs as well. It was truly sad how poor our alignment was done out of the factory. Once our trailer was properly aligned, our issue with blowouts has disappeared. I hope I have not cursed myself by putting that statement in writing.
2015 RAM 3500 dually Deep Cherry Red Crystal 6.7 Cummins Aisin 6-Speed
2008 Carriage Cameo F35SB
Jeff "Loving DH"
Smokey & Purrshing, Our Ragdolls
Gordie, Springer Spaniel
True Blue, Aussie

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I went to LT tires and got rid of our Marathons ST tires. How often does your truck have a blowout after all and it uses LT tires.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
My prior TT gave me all kinds of headaches with flats until I finally figured out the problem was a leaky rim. I ditched the OEM painted white rims and purchased 4 new aftermarket aluminum rims, problem finally solved.
The rims were cheap , the twisting and skidding forces the wheels endured when backing up and making a tight turn caused the rim to separate and leak.
I eventually sold those aftermarket rims to forum member Burbman when I sold thee TT and went to a 5th wheel
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
shinkebein wrote:
Our trailer weighs roughly 12,000 fully loaded and we drive 65 - 70 tops. They didn't mention replacing rims, only bearings and hubs.

If you don't have an alignment issue, consider switching to LT truck tires, Yes the same tires on the TV!
We bought our 2005 Copper Canyon in 2012 with the original LT tires on it. I checked them and ran for another four years.
When we replaced we bought Yokohama YK-HTX 235/85-16E's these tires have a lower weight rating than ST tires, but a higher speed rating (Much Higher). These tire have a 3,042# rating, I carry a little over 10,000# on the trailer axles with the 5er at about 12,600#.
On Edit: Do you cover your tires when not towing??
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Replacing bearings and hubs seems very odd ! You should never have to replace a hub unless a serious bearing failure. Bearings usually start running hot or making noise before a massive failure.

Switch to LT tires and make sure they can carry your load with room to spare.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Buying a new TT tomorrow. Endurance 15" tires. Only 2 sizes. One is 600 lbs higher capacity. Happy to not be China bombs. Will buy the higher load. Chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lay straight edge across tires.
should make even contact at both sides of both tires

Check axle Upward Bow..... both axle should have same bow
Lay straight edge across bottom of axle tube centered
Measure distance from straight edge to axle tube...compare to other axle

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
16" load E @ 80 psi ST Master Track...Goodyear Marathons ST 16" load E @ 80 psi both are know for what you found out. Their just a couple of what is known affectionately (?/&$#@^*) as ST tire "may pops". Many of us , myself included with 5 trailers on the road with 28 tires on the ground, know all about them and found how to get away from those types tire issues on heavy trailers.
Your not concerned with input from trailer owners with small 13"/14"/15" sizes but 16" wheels for 6k-7k axles.
Your trailer may have 6k axles which the old long time favorite for those that need a tire for 40k-60k miles and 7-8 years of trouble free service the Bridgestone R-238 and Michelin XPS Ribs in a LT235/85-16 E @ 80 psi at 3042 lbs capacity. Both are a commercial grade all steel ply carcass tire so their at the top of the LT E heap.

If your trailer has 7k axles then the 16" load G tire at 110 psi works best. Most ST or LT G @ 110 psi tires work great on commercial class trailer and are very popular with RV folks and heavier trailers.
JFI a 16" load G tire requires a 16" 110 psi rated wheel with 110 psi rated metal clamp in stems only. Rubber stems have a 60 psi and a 100 psi rating.
Right now the commercial grade all steel ply carcass Sailun S637 Load G in a ST235/80-16 G at 4080 lbs capacity are tops. They are intended for regional service trailer but work great on rv trailers.

Those load G tire you now have may eliminate ruined tires...much depends on what brand they are and how much pressure 24/7.

I would get another opinion on bearings and hubs. They won't cure a tires poor reliability issues like the brands you had.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I hope you have high pressure snap in or metal stems .
What we donโ€™t know is the build date of the tires stamped on the sidewalls.
Best to check the wheel weight or pressure rating before you go much over 80 psi.

I canโ€™t imagine itโ€™s a hub issue as I think you would have bearing issues first.