cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My SW6DE water heater

edstep
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 Cougar with a SW6DE water heater, for some reason it has stopped working this year. I get gas to the gas valve. When I hit the on button on the water heater nothing is happening. I dont hear or see a spark. I replace the gas valve as the readings on one of the solenoids shows that it was defective ( got the info from the forum)

I am now at a loss as to what could be the problem and not sure what my next step should be.
7 REPLIES 7

edstep
Explorer
Explorer
The trouble shooting steps are great to have around

Thanks

mudmaker
Explorer
Explorer
cpaulsen wrote:
Had the same problem on my water heater on my 07 Cougar. Replaced the gas valve....no help. Swapped it back( got a new one on my shelf now which I will never use). Found it was a bad control board for the 12 volt system. The board is attached to the water heater under the sink. Borrowed a friend's board...swapped it with mine and it worked. Bought a used board from and RV shop and worked till I traded the 5ver in.

I would take your valve off you hands. I just got done cleaning mine cause of a gas smell when it runs. I think the valve is just barely leaking around an adjustment screw. Smell only comes up when it is running so I figure that has to be the problem.
Glen and Loretta
Marc, Jake, Kirsten and fur kids Dexter and Bernie
2017 KZ Venom 4114TK Toy Hauler
2015 GMC Acadia
15 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax
11 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
12V DC comes from battery and/or converter.....goes to ON/OFF switch
From switch goes to junction box (usually on side of heater)
From junction box........RED wire goes to t-stats (High limit then to normal)
From t-stats power then goes to module (circuit board)
High voltage signal comes from module to spark electrode and at same time power goes to gas valve solenoid(s) BROWN wire

Check for 12V DC power to/thru switch
Check for 12V DC power to/thru t-stats (Reset high limit t-stat)
Then check for power from module to gas valve solenoid WHEN sparking at electrode occurs (6-8 seconds)

Power to module BUT no sparking.......
Bad module
Faulty spark electrode
Bad ground connections

Clean/tighten all ground connections
Clean spark electrode with emery cloth
Check high voltage wire to spark electrode
Check spark electrode ceramic for cracks
Have module bench tested
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
RV dealerships with a parts dept. often times have a device designed to test those boards and will do it for free.

edstep
Explorer
Explorer
All the docs that I read mention that, but my 2005 Cougar doesn't appear to have switch inside

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same problem on my water heater on my 07 Cougar. Replaced the gas valve....no help. Swapped it back( got a new one on my shelf now which I will never use). Found it was a bad control board for the 12 volt system. The board is attached to the water heater under the sink. Borrowed a friend's board...swapped it with mine and it worked. Bought a used board from and RV shop and worked till I traded the 5ver in.
cpaulsen

greende
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't appear anyone is awake this am so I'll jump in. Do you have 12V to the Water Heater when you turn the inside switch on? Also, do you get a DSI fault when it fails to fire up? Check the switch to make sure there is 12V to it and/or check for blown fuse. I do not have personal experience whether a bad igniter would cause this. Hopefully someone will comment. Good luck & let us know when you do find out why it won't light.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72