cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need a truck

Reilly_the_rver
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2008 F-350 v10 towing our 12000 lbs camper, it an extended cab, we want another truck should I get a gas, diesel, long box, short box, help.
25 REPLIES 25

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Reilly the rver wrote:
Actually, we want a newer truck that is a family truck but still a truck that can tow aokay
If you want a newer truck, plan on spending alot more money, especially if you want a diesel crew cab.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

dfb
Explorer
Explorer
Had 3 pds's.. Tired of glow plugs and leaks. Had 04 ram 3500 dually cummins... Sold with 113000 miles for 25 k in less than an hour. Now have 2015 ram sb megacab Laramie srw... Great trucks!.pulls very well... Solid, quiet.. Air bags in rear, fifth wheel prep,,, Pullrite superglide as Andersen damaged cab.

alaska511
Explorer
Explorer
SoCalDesertRider wrote:

Holy Cow, are you still on this forum, too?? Good to see you. I was just reading some of our old banter about Gas vs Diesel. The original thread is still in the TV forum from 12 years ago.

OP, this is solid advice, by the way

2017 Wildcat Maxx 295
2015 Silverado LTZ Duramax/Allison

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Ram 6.4 is a fine truck. Please get the 4:10 gears...I'm not sure that you will find a crew cab capable of pulling your trailer, newer than 2010, for around 20k. At least one that isn't worn out. You may need to up your budget.

Diesel vs gas is a personal decision. I prefer gas trucks...I can afford a used diesel...I just don't want one...not enough pros on my ledger...

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Silverado6x6
Explorer
Explorer
After some thought i was considering a diesel pusher but being that i drive concrete mixers and being a diesel mechanic plus i need to haul parts from washington state to Alaska i'm going with a semi tractor. What would be nice is to get an ex race car hauler with the workspace and bunks. Went shopping for a new truck a couple of months ago, not impressed with them, for well less than half the money or even a tenth i can get a suitable semi tractor from a Ritchie Brothers auction. Convert it into an rv hauler. Much more stable platform, better brakes, bigger engine.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
If you *really* want opinions (etc.) - take your question to
the -Tow Vehicles- forum (here).

skijlw
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a 40' with a SRW, short bed, crew cab, diesel 2013 GMC. We live in the northwest and travel to AZ. Nothing is flat. I put the cruise on 65 and sit back and relax. Does some down shifting in the mountain passes and a steep hill at times but never seems to strain. Went with the GMC after problems with my F-350 Ford. I like fords but I decided to go with a combination of long term proven performance in engine and tranny this time. The truck is easy to park, fits in my garage and is comfortable. I don't see the need for a dually unless you get pin weights in excess of 4000 lbs or need pulling trailers >18K. Everybody has their own comfort level.

Reilly_the_rver
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, we want a newer truck that is a family truck but still a truck that can tow aokay

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
I would look for an earlier year truck than yours, but crew cab dually long bed diesel.

'99-'02 F350 7.3 diesel
'98-'06 Dodge 3500 5.9 diesel
'02-'06 GM 3500 6.6 diesel
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Reilly_the_rver
Explorer
Explorer
We can have both, they'll both fit, just asking about them and another reason, our truck is an extended cab, we need a crew cab for me, my wife, two kids, and two dogs in the cab

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Reilly the rver wrote:
You see, we have to consider the short box because we need a crew cab and room in our alley. diesel would work, but we also considered the dodge 6.4amd if we get a short box, I would get a sliding hitch, and our range is about $20000, any good trucks in there that are a little newer

Not sure why you asked about long/short beds, if you knew you needed a short bed.

To be brutally honest, if you've only got $20k to spend, keep your current truck. Those are an excellent TV. Better than anything Dodge builds.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Reilly_the_rver
Explorer
Explorer
You see, we have to consider the short box because we need a crew cab and room in our alley. diesel would work, but we also considered the dodge 6.4amd if we get a short box, I would get a sliding hitch, and our range is about $20000, any good trucks in there that are a little newer

alaska511
Explorer
Explorer
I don't speak Ford, but I used to stress over this quite a bit. I have RVd with literally every type of RV, all with a gas engine. My current truck is our first diesel.

I was a diesel tech, and run a truck shop, so I just didn't want to hear or smell them after I got away from work.

The gas engines do fine, but as you know, the transmissions get a work out, and the mileage sucks.

If money is not an issue, get the diesel. It is certainly more relaxing at the end of the day, especially if mountain highway travel is involved!

Good luck!

2017 Wildcat Maxx 295
2015 Silverado LTZ Duramax/Allison

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
I recently went from diesel to gas and I would go diesel as well. Partly for improved performance in the mountains. But the thing I miss most is the ease of filling up. So much easier to pull into a truck stop and go to the rear pumps, than to maneuver around the cars at the front pumps.