cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need brakes on boat trailer?

jacksonr
Explorer
Explorer
Been double towing a 16' boat a number of years, but have upgraded to a larger 19'er. Plan to continue doubling (only way to go if you like camping and fishing). My question is, how many of you have brakes on the boat trailer? Are they necessary or is your tv and 5th wheel brakes providing enough stopping power?
I'd like to hear pros and cons.
21 REPLIES 21

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I would not even consider towing a 19 ft boat behind a 5th wheel without boat trailer brakes.

Most boat trailers in the 19 ft range have surge brakes and they should work fine if they are in good condition and set up properly.

sleekcrafter
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most all boat trailer over 3K have brakes or are supposed to. you will need a second brake control for electric brakes behind your 5vr, or use surge brakes.
2001 7.3L F350 CC SB DRW BTS auto, Elkhorn 11X TC, 31 Jayco Designer, 1979 Belco Tunnel Dragster DragBoat

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
agesilaus wrote:
Your state will have regulations/laws on what they require. Usually trailers above a certain weight must have brakes

In AZ, you =must= have brakes on any trailer with > 3k GVW. Doesn't mean electrics; can be surge brakes.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
The requirements for brakes on the boat trailer is dictated by the weight of the boat and boat trailer, regardless of how you tow it. If it doesn't have brakes now, it doesn't need them and visa versa.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Your state will have regulations/laws on what they require. Usually trailers above a certain weight must have brakes

This is true. Most single axle trailers tend to not have brakes but can help if you have the dough to have them installed. Your 19' is right on the edge. If it is at all heavy or a glass boat, I'd consider adding brakes.

If you go with brakes and do a lot of mountain driving, consider electric over hydraulic brakes as opposed to surge brakes that can easily overheat bearings on long down grades.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
put titan brakes on it