cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Help With Buying Fifth Wheel

Jsabe07
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone, this is my first time on here and I'm asking for some assistance with a couple fifth wheels that my wife and I are looking at. We like the Coachmen Chaparral, but one Jayco dealer said the quality was subpar. We've also been looking at the Hemisphere and the Sandpiper as well. Which one is better in terms of quality?
15 REPLIES 15

skijlw
Explorer
Explorer
I believe most of the RV's in the same price range are similar in construction and Quality control. Find a floor plan you like and start some research on the product. I would buy a RV that has a long history of sales. Try to talk with owners of the rig you like. Warranty service is number one consideration for a new unit because very few RV's come off the assembly line without some problems that need resolution. We have had a few RV's and went with a Jayco this time. They have a two year warranty and I will say the warranty work support has been excellent.

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
Jsabe07 wrote:
Hello everyone, this is my first time on here and I'm asking for some assistance with a couple fifth wheels that my wife and I are looking at. We like the Coachmen Chaparral, but one Jayco dealer said the quality was subpar. We've also been looking at the Hemisphere and the Sandpiper as well. Which one is better in terms of quality?

We have had several travel trailers and 5th wheels. I can say without hesitation Our Cedar Creek is the best 5th wheel we have owned. Forest River has great customer service. I don't know about the local dealers, but the people at the factory are just great. I mean great.

ken and sue
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

vampirefish
Explorer
Explorer
Well we just but the 2016 Forest River Sandpiper 371REBH... LOVE it! Have yet to take it out as we are prepping ๐Ÿ™‚
2004 Jamboree GT 31W

vampirefish
Explorer
Explorer
Jsabe07, we are interested in the 371rebh as well... I wonder, have you pulled the trigger yet?
2004 Jamboree GT 31W

hdfatboynj
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Coachman Chaparral 29mks and love it. I am not a full timer but will use it from March to November. At least 2 weekends/long weekends a month and 2 weeks in August and 2 weeks in May. I think I got a great price on it. It's a 2015 that I bought in September 2014 and have taken it out about 7 times before I winterized it.
2015 Coachman Chaparral 29MKS
Ford E450 Super Duty Duely
USMC 81-85

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can say this. Two years ago we got hit with a tornado while in Matagordo Bay, Texas. While our damage was minimal, (tore off all four slide covers) a JAYCO fifth wheel several sites over was not so lucky. The twister picked them up, flipped it three times and it came to rest upside down two sites over. While all three people inside were injured, no one was killed. The trailer was righted and towed off with the frame etc intact. I was impressed with the way it held up under the circumstances. The interior was completely destroyed but the frame and exterior was intact.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Jsabe07
Explorer
Explorer
These are the Floorplans we are looking at. They are new layouts so I can't find many reviews on them. They are the Chaparral 390 QSMB, and the Sandpiper 371 REBH. They are both mid bunkhouse with rear living layout. I tried pasting pics but couldn't.

Jsabe07
Explorer
Explorer
kohai wrote:
Jsabe07 wrote:

What is your intended use? Full time? Only 3-4 times a year? Many RVs are not designed robustly enough for full time use and the mfg sometimes even state that.

We only use it ~8-10 times a year.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Don't listen to the dealers, they will all tell you their competitors units are junk. We are on our second Sandpiper with very few issues. The one we have now has had zero issues so far. Do a good pdi and make sure sure everything is working 100% before you sign the papers.
Good luck
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
If your buying new, I believe Jayco has a two year warranty which is something you may consider.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Traveler_II
Explorer
Explorer
kohai wrote:
Jsabe07 wrote:

What is your intended use? Full time? Only 3-4 times a year? Many RVs are not designed robustly enough for full time use and the mfg sometimes even state that.

"Kohai" makes a good point. Our first fiver was a mid price trailer with a nice layout and looked great, but we travel 6 months a year and put lots of miles on and it just didn't hold up. We now have a rig with a great frame, suspension, brakes, tires plus we bought an air hitch and after 4 years and 40,000 plus miles it's holding up great, yea for us we love the layout. So how you plan to use your 5th wheel is something to think about.
2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185
Nights Camped in 2015 - 231
Nights Camped in 2016 - 162

therink
Explorer
Explorer
There are some less expensive "lite" models that are built with lighter material. Lighter materials means not as durable when it comes to cabinetry, fit and finish, floor flex, etc. As a general rule, most mid level, mid priced rvs are all built to the same standard and most have some issues right out of the efactory (my experience anyway). The unit is only as good as the crew that built it. The important thing is to pick a floor plan you like and then compare several brands with that floor plan. Spend lots of time in them. Bring a flashlight and Phillips screw driver and look behind cabinets, look at wiring, plumbing, see how doors and cabinets line up. If you take time, you should find a unit that gives you the feeling it was designed and built OK. If you look at enough units, you will see flaws. Also jump up and down on the flooring. Some brands have sturdier flooring than others.
Don't get caught up on distracted in the bling that many brands have. Look beneath the bling for things such as quality furniture, cushions, bed construction, etc. Good luck.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
Jsabe07 wrote:

2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
JMO but they are all subject to subpar construction. Jayco is just as bad or good as the rest. Google the different brand forums and read them for a couple weeks or so and you'll find they all have issues of one sort or another. We have looked at Jayco at RV shows and they have some features that standout. But for the most part it's all the same. One thing about Jayco is the drawer fronts are mounted to a thicker piece of backing. I've seen some brands that use a thin 3/8" piece of wood for backing. After a few years it could give you trouble. IMO go with your floor plan of choice, then find one that has the most amenities you like and get it. Be diligent on exterior maintenance and it will last as long as needed.